You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Laughable how people continue to make excuses for him, I've never seen a top level keeper as bad on his near post, it doesn't matter who the coach is, we need a new keeper that's not even up for debate

Getting rid of Reina is very much up for debate though Richie.

There's no doubt Pepe has been poor for 18 months now, but he is still young for a goalkeeper and prior to that he was one of the best in the world. Out of any club we should know about the follies of getting rid of people after 1 poor season as that kind of decision making is already coming back to haunt us.

We need to see about hs training, and more importantly see if he wants to be here. Doni will be going so we should look at getting in a top notch young keeper to put pressure on Pepe and who can then take over from Pepe when the time is right or Pepe's current form continues into next season.

We demand loyalty from the likes of Torres, yet are happy to show none to a player once he's out of form. We shouldn't expect to have it both ways.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest San Don
Im not saying if valero was here he wouldn't have been beaten at his near post,at the end of the day a coach can only do so much once the player is on the pitch its all down to him,But im saying Valero was an excellent coach something Pepe's said himself,maybe its a respect thing could Achtenberg comand the same respect from the Liverpool goalkeepers as Valero did? 3 seasons ago he was playing league1 football at Tranmere now his coaching at Liverpool,He might be a good coach i dont know but Reina's form has dipped alot since he came in,as you said maybe his heads elsewhere if that is the case then Achtenberg (who works with him every day)should notice this and have a word with him maybe thats were the respect comes into it.

And what level did Valero play at?

This is a point though. Many of the best coaches in sport never played at a high level Fuck me, you can even include Benitez in that category. So, the comparison of Valero v Achterburg is a false and misleading one.

Yes, I know players need coaches in their game but, you dont or should not need a coach to tell you to attack the ball when its 2 meters or less from the goal line. Similarly, you should not need a coach to tell you going down on one knee and waving at the ball as it goes past you is poor technique.

Edited by San Don
Missed 'not'out in a few sentences.

The sort of attention to detail he had from Valero may well have included how regularly Ramires goes near post when shooting, for e.g.

Reina has been poor this season, but he's a world class player.

Sell the shit players. Not the good ones.

He's been consistently average even going back the first game of last season against Arsenal when he let in the last minute equalizer. His weakness at near posts are being exploited by every team and I am sick to the back teeth of his Elvis knee movement attempt at saves these days. He's not even in the top six best goalies in the Prem; City, Spurs, Everton, Swansea, Chelsea and even Wigan have better goalies. He won't improve now, time to get rid.

And if people don't agree I don't give a fuck.

Sadly, 100% correct. We should get rid now before anyone else notices that he's gone a bit poo.

If Pepe wants to leave and we get a acceptable fee then we could let him go but who is going to pay that fee.

We shouldnt be looking to let him go though.Look at Cech,the last few Seasons he has been poor but this season has refound his confidence and form and has been good.

If Pepe wants to leave and we get a acceptable fee then we could let him go but who is going to pay that fee.

We shouldnt be looking to let him go though.Look at Cech,the last few Seasons he has been poor but this season has refound his confidence and form and has been good.

I don't think its confidence, it's his lack of movement. He doesn't even bother diving these days. I bet the kit man loves him.

well if you look at what happens yesterday .. awful piece of goalkeeping from reina let chelsea have the lead ... brilliant piece of goalkeeping from cech denied us a real goal

if it was the other way around we would be the champions by now

i know it's not that simple but now i understand the cliche: a great goalkeeper can win you trophies

well if you look at what happens yesterday .. awful piece of goalkeeping from reina let chelsea have the lead ... brilliant piece of goalkeeping from cech denied us a real goal

if it was the other way around we would be the champions by now

i know it's not that simple but now i understand the cliche: a great goalkeeper can win you trophies

Or Spearing not giving the ball away, Enrique not making the tackle or bringing Ramires downe whether it gets him booked or not. It wasnt just Reina to blame for the goal.

We have bigger issues that just the keeper.

PS it was a goal it had gone over the line.

Love Pepe but he has been appalling this season, off the top of my head he has made errors against norwich at home, fulham away, city away, west brom at home, chelsea yesterday.

Add to that Spurs away and Arse at home and the ridiculous red card he got in Newcastle.

Nowhere near 'world class'.

Guest San Don
Or Spearing not giving the ball away, Enrique not making the tackle or bringing Ramires downe whether it gets him booked or not. It wasnt just Reina to blame for the goal.

We have bigger issues that just the keeper.

PS it was a goal it had gone over the line.

So in your world, there's no point having a keeper because if outfield players fuck up, it doesnt matter if the keeper let's in a soft one because the outfield players shouldnt have made the mistake?

That's rubbish. It's rubbish because it ignores the old addage that a quality keeper can get you 8 to 12 points in the league. In a knock out competition, its the difference between winning and not.

In earlier posts, I mentioned spearing's mistake, I mentioned enrique's mistake and I mentioned Reina's mistake, which are becoming all too frequently.

Im not advocating selling him and Im not saying he's crap. What I am saying is his mistakes are costing us but if you think we need to look elsewhere first, that's up to you.

The sort of attention to detail he had from Valero may well have included how regularly Ramires goes near post when shooting, for e.g.Reina has been poor this season, but he's a world class player.

Sell the shit players. Not the good ones.

I pretty much agree with that, I think that Pepe's problems are driven by frustration and disillusion rather than having "lost it".

The term "world class" is bandied around far too radily for my liking. Very good, yes. we should remember that Casillas is the World Class Spanish keeper, and is selected above Pepe for a reason.

Replacing an on fom Pepe would be very difficult.

So in your world, there's no point having a keeper because if outfield players fuck up, it doesnt matter if the keeper let's in a soft one because the outfield players shouldnt have made the mistake?

No not at all. To repeat...We have bigger issues than just the keeper ( This doesnt exonerate Reina). Like lacking a centre midfield worthy of playing for us is a bigger issue (Gerrard apart who shouldnt be playing centre midfield and Lucas who is injured..unsure what he will be like after returning from a long injury lay off)

Reina is going through a crisis of confidence of sorts last 12 months/whatever period However he has proven before that he is a good keeper. That doesnt disappear overnight.

Some are advocating selling him. If you werent then my post wasnt aimed at you.

I pretty much agree with that, I think that Pepe's problems are driven by frustration and disillusion rather than having "lost it".

The term "world class" is bandied around far too radily for my liking. Very good, yes. we should remember that Casillas is the World Class Spanish keeper, and is selected above Pepe for a reason.

Replacing an on fom Pepe would be very difficult.

Spain have, at the very least, three world class keepers. I guess we could argue semantics about what exactly constitutes being "world class". For me, he's one of the best players in the world in his position. One poor season doesn't change that.

Agree with the rest though. Having been one of the best keepers in the world for four or five years, its unlikely that he's just suddenly a shit player. Especially as he's what 28? 29? A lot of keepers haven't even peaked by this age. A combination of a huge downgrade in goalkeeping coach, and the team, in general, being fucking shit has led to his poor form. I'm not absolving him of blame. He needs to sort his shit out, and I'm confident he will.

Both Spearing and Enrique made bigger mistakes leading up to the first goal, and this obsession with being beaten at your near post is annoying. If Ramires had whacked it across the goal (like Morrison did for Norwich earlier the same day) it would probably have gone in as well. When top footballers are allowed to shoot freely from 7-8 yards out and hit the target the ball tends to end up in the back of the net (unless they play for us that is)

Fully agree that Reina's had a (for him) poor season. Let's hope he does an Alonso next year, but that our management doesn't try to replace him with an inferior British version (who's the Gareth Barry of goalkeeping?)

For the record, I think he needs to be looking at some old Peter Shmeichel tapes on how to advance when players are going one on one with him, that's his biggest weakness. Thought the Elvis legs mentioned earlier was pretty funny (and apt), as he goes down too easily and isn't aggressive enough in the way he approaches those situations.

Cech has shown this season it's possible to reinvent oneself (I thought he had lost it), so why shouldn't Pepe?

Shay Given's not British, but a good likeness to the Gareth Barry of goalkeeping.

You know what you're getting, it's not half bad, but it's not going to be setting the world on fire either.

If you were going to swap Reina for someone else, you might as well go for someone a bit younger and bossier than Given.

Being back the one man who consistently got the best out of Pepe in Valero. If he is no better for it then you consider replacing the goalkeeper. Pepe is world class, he has proven that and we should not have short memories. He is going through a bad time and readily admits that. If Valero gives him the confidence he has lacked then he needs to be brough back, because playing long kicks with John Achterberg clearly isn't working.

Guest San Don
No not at all. To repeat...We have bigger issues than just the keeper ( This doesnt exonerate Reina). Like lacking a centre midfield worthy of playing for us is a bigger issue (Gerrard apart who shouldnt be playing centre midfield and Lucas who is injured..unsure what he will be like after returning from a long injury lay off)

Reina is going through a crisis of confidence of sorts last 12 months/whatever period However he has proven before that he is a good keeper. That doesnt disappear overnight.

Some are advocating selling him. If you werent then my post wasnt aimed at you.

So if he's going through a crisis of confidence for 12 months as you say, you still think he should be guaranteed a starting place in the team? No if's or buts?

Im not trying to trip you up. Im genuinely interested to know at what point people acknowledge a keeper, any keeper, loses his place in a team when he's regularly making mistakes that lead to goals.