You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wine experts

WaltonRed

As stated above a good red doesnt mean you have to spend a fortune. A good red is a red that you enjoy. I had a bottle given to me for my birthday that was over the £15 mark and it was fucking shite (still drank it mind) and I bought one from Lidl the other day for £3 and it was well good!!

I recently tried this - http://www.marksandspencer.com/Torresoto-Oaked-White-Rioja-2007/dp/B000TQDZYS?extid=TP_2_FRO_T_MSF_

Which I accept is white - however (not being a wine expert) I didnt know you could get white Rioja and it was gorgeous..

As its white, I accept this has no bearing on the original question, but I did wonder if anyone else knew you could get it?

Yep, the shop I work in sells one gonna wait until it'

Guest ShoePiss

I can't stand wine pricks, you know the type. They sneer at people drinking cheap plonk and bore you to death with projectile vomit inducing 'descriptions' of the wine they had last night.

I like wine though.

There you have it. Don't buy expensive wine with complex flavours. Get down to Lidls for a £3 bottle of chateaux d' Sarsons. Jobs a goodun.

LOL, you are ruling this thread.

I can't stand wine pricks, you know the type. They sneer at people drinking cheap plonk and bore you to death with projectile vomit inducing 'descriptions' of the wine they had last night.

I like wine though.

Funny when people say that. I agree that wine snobs are a pain in the arse but it is somehow seen as poncy to enjoy wine. It's fine on here to have a 20 page thread on beer but as soon as someone dares to suggest that cheap wine is piss they are a wine bore.

If I went on the beer thread and said that all these foreign lagers and beers are shit and I got 4 tins of Asda lager for £1.50 and it tasted just as good I would be rightly called a complete tit.

I drank red Champagne in France a few years back, a gift to the couple who were getting married, never would of been able to afford it otherwise, and it was fucking wonderful.

All you Grape and Antifreeze connoisseurs don't know what you're missing out on. An aged Languedoc or a Burgundy as a treat every now and again is what keeps me sane!

Although you can't have enough vintage Beaujolais nouveau.

Edit: Wasn't meant to be disparaging about cheaper wine, some is really good, especially some variations of the Chateaux Neuf Lurtzy mentioned before, but every now and again it's nice to spend a little more for a whole lot more flavour.

I drank red Champagne in France a few years back, a gift to the couple who were getting married, never would of been able to afford it otherwise, and it was fucking wonderful.

All you Grape and Antifreeze connoisseurs don't know what you're missing out on. An aged Languedoc or a Burgundy as a treat every now and again is what keeps me sane!

Edit: Wasn't meant to be disparaging about cheaper wine, some is really good, especially some variations of the Chateaux Neuf Lurtzy mentioned before.

vintage Beaujolais nouveau?

That stuff is meant to be drunk asap. Ageing it completely ruins it.

Guest ShoePiss
Funny when people say that. I agree that wine snobs are a pain in the arse but it is somehow seen as poncy to enjoy wine. It's fine on here to have a 20 page thread on beer but as soon as someone dares to suggest that cheap wine is piss they are a wine bore.

If I went on the beer thread and said that all these foreign lagers and beers are shit and I got 4 tins of Asda lager for £1.50 and it tasted just as good I would be rightly called a complete tit.

I don't think it's poncey mate, unless someone goes off describing their wine as dancing off the tongue like angel winged unicorns with wonderful notes of cedar wood, kerosene and koala farts, I just hate the pretentious crap.

I don't think it's poncey mate, unless someone goes off describing their wine as dancing off the tongue like angel winged unicorns with wonderful notes of cedar wood, kerosene and koala farts, I just hate the pretentious crap.

I agree mate. Thats not just wine though. You get the same shite talked about whisky, beer, allsorts. It is indicative of someone who is an arse.

I went to a tasting once and it was hosted by a 'Master of wine'. This guy was phenomenal 200 odd people have taken the exam in the last ten years and only 80 have passed. There is only something like 200 in the world to ever pass.

He described every wine without being a poncy tit and it was one of the best afternoons ever. A real eye opener.

The MW Examination

Master of Wine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your going to France on a booze cruise don't fuck about with the over priced supermarche go and check out these guys.

Normandie Wine

Far better selection, the staff know what they are talking about, good discount on larger orders and open alot later than the other shops. I came back with 13 CASES of wine ranging from some cheap plonk for when ever to some really nice reds for £230. He even threw in a couple of bottles of Champagne (real stuff not shit) and a special bottle of wine for the missus.

Edit: Wasn't meant to be disparaging about cheaper wine, some is really good, especially some variations of the Chateaux Neuf Lurtzy mentioned before, but every now and again it's nice to spend a little more for a whole lot more flavour.

It is. All wines are vintage, it doesn't mean they are old. Every year is a vintage year just some years are better than others.

• 1 year later...

Aldi's Cotes du Rhone and Pinot Noir are pretty boss for £3.75 each IIRC

Their rioja is passable too.  Considering they are no more than £4 a bottle, they are surprisingly good.  

Got this for £6 a bottle at R+H wines.  Fucking amazing wine for the price.  It is a young, organic wine typical of his vineyard -  this french winemaker made a batch to celebrate after the bankers refused to loan him money to save his business and friends and fans of his wines stepped in.

He's getting a few bottles in next week, would highly recommend.  You don't have to spend more than a tenner for boss wine if you know where to look.

photo-12-764x1024.jpg

• Upvote 1

I like wine though.

"From the cooperative in Tain, it is a good example of a Crozes Hermitage — aromatic, reminiscent of creosote, bacon fat and smooth pebbles."

I shit you not:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/wine/7084967/Best-wine-deals.html