You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll -" Liverpool willing to sell "

James21

Would you sell him  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell him

• Sell him
    • Keep him.
    • Loan him out
    • Wait till the summer and see how things look.

Your lying about Aguero and Mata, but I suspect you already know that, tit

Except im not. It was reported that Aguer actually took a pay cut to join City. And Mata is on 75k, again thats been reported, but we will ignore what has been reported by people who actually might know shit and just pluck random massive number and claim thats why we cant get good players whilst similtaniously paying garbage like Downing and Carroll 80k

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was always signing for a club in the champions league. Be that Chelsea or someone else. Us trying to sign him on the first day of the window wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

What are you basing this on? Players, for the most part, move clubs because of money, if we'd of offered him the money he's now getting at Chelsea, and we made an offer Valencia found agreeable(he was available cheaper earlier in the window too)he'd of signed for us in all likelihood. That's how it works.

That's why we should have been pursuing Mata instead of Downing earlier in the window. The interest from Chelsea wasn't really there, Mata was kind of a last resort signing for them. That one is going to take a while to get over. He was exactly the ilk of player we needed, but instead we lumped for a player designed to get the best out of the worst signing in our history.

There's no getting around it, on balance, we've been shite in the transfer market for the last two windows.

Mata's father and also his agent was on record saying that he would only move to a club where he could play Champions League football. That sort of ruled us out. I'm sure Liverpool would have made enquires, but if that's what they were told, then what is it you expect us to do?

For Mata it was a win, win situation, more money and CL football.

People seem to be massively missing the point regarding these players. It's not about guessing - and it is just a guess - whether they would or wouldn't have joined us ahead of whichever club. It doesn't even matter, I was talking about those players way before Chelsea or City signed them. I'm sure others were, too.

We now need to forget them and look at other players around the world, before they go to Napoli, Atleti, Porto, and get them in. Or even look at the players that are already there and are a year away from signing for City, Chelsea, Madrid. It's not like we don't have any money under these new owners.

We're really wasting time doing what we're doing. I believe in a strong squad as much as the next man, as I've said on here; but we need to have quality in the first-choice 11, too.

Great post.

We need to be getting the players before they come to Europe,even getting some and then sending them to Portugal or France for a year or two to get them ready.

We were linked with Falcao when he left River for under 5ml.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Mata's father and also his agent was on record saying that he would only move to a club where he could play Champions League football.

I thought his father had said that CL isn't the only factor. I'll try and find something.

I thought his father had said that CL isn't the only factor. I'll try and find something.

Mata's father and agent, Juan Mata Senior, said: "Juan is a wanted man in England. A number of clubs are after him but he will want to play in the Champions League. I am sure he will do well in England."

Mata's father and also his agent was on record saying that he would only move to a club where he could play Champions League football. That sort of ruled us out. I'm sure Liverpool would have made enquires, but if that's what they were told, then what is it you expect us to do?

For Mata it was a win, win situation, more money and CL football.

First i've heard of that. I wouldn't buy it anyway. Agents don't tend to come out and say "my client is moving for the money", they just hide behind the whole CL thing.

The bottom line is that we preferred Downing over Mata. That is/was a monumental fuck up imo, and nicely sums up how daft this buy British policy has been. We've handicapped ourselves basically.

What are you basing this on? Players, for the most part, move clubs because of money, if we'd of offered him the money he's now getting at Chelsea, and we made an offer Valencia found agreeable(he was available cheaper earlier in the window too)he'd of signed for us in all likelihood. That's how it works.

Who has turned down offers from champions league clubs for teams not in Europe in the past?

There's a few examples but it's nearly always players that went to man city style clubs getting stupid money. At best we'd have been matching Chelsea's wages not blowing them out of the water.

Mata had his pick of clubs and surprise surprise he went to a side that were fancied to be challenging for the title and the champions league, not a side that had finished 7th and 6th.

That's not to say, we couldn't have done better then Downing. There had to be more of a choice then those two players.

Except im not. It was reported that Aguer actually took a pay cut to join City. And Mata is on 75k, again thats been reported, but we will ignore what has been reported by people who actually might know shit and just pluck random massive number and claim thats why we cant get good players whilst similtaniously paying garbage like Downing and Carroll 80k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2020036/Sergio-Aguero-causes-Manchester-City-rebellion-wages.html

£52m he'll earn over 5 years according to that, but you know best.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Manchester-City-complete-40m-Sergio-Aguero-deal-now-set-loan-Carlos-Tevez-and-buy-Samir-Nasri-Arsenal-article776951.html

Similar figure there genius, we are in no position to pay any footballer that sort of money

Wrong. Mata is on 100k+, reported as such, and Agueros "pay cut" is because with taxes he earns roughly the same... Which isn't really what you insinuate.

Go on then... Where was this reported?

First i've heard of that. I wouldn't buy it anyway. Agents don't tend to come out and say "my client is moving for the money", they just hide behind the whole CL thing.

The bottom line is that we preferred Downing over Mata. That is/was a monumental fuck up imo, and nicely sums up how daft this buy British policy has been. We've handicapped ourselves basically.

Can you show me one quote from anybody that matters saying we've a buy British policy, because last time I checked Suarez Coates and Enrique weren't British, or is just another thing our genius fans claim to "know"

Mata had his pick of clubs and surprise surprise he went to a side that were fancied to be challenging for the title and the champions league, not a side that had finished 7th and 6th.

He didn't, Chelsea were the only team to have an offer accepted. The fact it happened so late in the window tells you he didn't have that many offers, certainly not from CL clubs anyway. That was our window of opportunity. We chose to miss it.

Anyway, this will just keep going in circles. You believe one thing, you're wrong, i'm right, move on. :D

Edited by The Dude Abides

Can you show me one quote from anybody that matters saying we've a buy British policy, because last time I checked Suarez Coates and Enrique weren't British, or is just another thing our genius fans claim to "know"

Henderson, Downing and Carroll. £70m. What more do you need?

But you could go back over Tony Evans and Barrett's articles if you're so inclined, as they've eluded to it enough times.

He didn't, Chelsea were the only team to have an offer accepted. The fact is happened so late in the window tells you he didn't have that many offers, certainly not from CL clubs anyway. That was our window of opportunity. We chose to miss it.

Arsenal had an offer on him, and City enquired, too... Did they not?

He didn't, Chelsea were the only team to have an offer accepted. The fact is happened so late in the window tells you he didn't have that many offers, certainly not from CL clubs anyway. That was our window of opportunity. We chose to miss it.

You think clubs need to have offers accepted to speak to his agent? Arsenal and Spurs interest was well documented for starters.

He said: “Juan is a wanted man in England. A number of clubs are after him, but he will want to play in the Champions League. I am sure he will do well in England.”

That's from his dad in July. Face it Mata was a daydream. Just like Hazard will be in the next window, unless we finish top four this season.

For Downing moving from one club out of Europe on the way down to another out of Europe on the way up was a positive step.

At Chelsea, Mata got the wages, London and CL football.

The reason why Downing was preferred over Mata was that Downong would come and Mata would not.

Man City have set the bar for what is required to bring CL quality footballers without CL football- and that is £200k a week, something we cannot afford ( nor should we).

Wonder if we even inquired about Mata and was turned down, or we didnt have the funds.

Or were never interested in the first place ?

He's the type of player we've been crying out for, for years, and even more so this season.

Hope it's adressed in january. There is a number of top prospects in that mould that will leave in the near future, but doubtful that we have the money or the pulling power without CL to lure them away...

But you could go back over Tony Evans and Barrett's articles if you're so inclined, as they've eluded to it enough times.

Of the signings only Downing and Carroll have not been good enough so far, Henderson, Enrique, Adam and Suarez have all played their part while Coates looks like a great addition to the squad. No doubt you'll question the purchase of Adam but for £6m who would have been better than him at that price?

Again Suarez Coates Enrique, and Barrett is on record of saying there's no info coming from the club on transfers, so maybe you should do your research eh

Wrong. Mata is on 100k+, reported as such, and Agueros "pay cut" is because with taxes he earns roughly the same... Which isn't really what you insinuate.

Harry Redknapp said Spurs were in for Mata until Chelsea blew them out the water with wages. You're probably talking around 100k.

I'd still have gone for him and if he turned us down then so be it. We've got players sat on the bench every week on 90k a week.

Its not a British policy, its a buying premiership based players. Sometimes we'll get the odd transfer from abroad, but Kenny has shown a clear preference for players who have premiership experience.

Its not a British policy, its a buying premiership based players. Sometimes we'll get the odd transfer from abroad, but Kenny has shown a clear preference for players who have premiership experience.

In 2 windows it's probably about 50/50, I'd say that's pretty much the average of most teams especially ones outside European places, it's just our fans that act like cocks and whinge and moan all day long.

If Stoke had offered Mata or Aguero more money, they still wouldn't have chosen them over Chelsea or Shitty

Money is far from the only motivation