You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Jack Nicholson film.

Sugar Ape

Best Jack Nicholson Film?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Best Jack Nicholson Film?

• Easy Rider
    • Five Easy Pieces
    • The last Detail
    • Chinatown
    • One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    • The Passenger
    • The Shining
    • The Postman Always Rings Twice
    • Reds
    • Terms Of Endearment
    • Prizzi's Honor
    • The Witches Of Eastwick
    • Ironweed
    • Batman
    • The Two Jakes
    • A Few Good Men
    • Hoffa
    • Wolf
    • As Good As It Gets
    • The Pledge
    • About Schmidt
    • The Departed
    • The Bucket List
    • Mars Attacks!
    • Other - Please State

Cuckoo's Nest is a great film but for me The Shining is an easy choice from the ones I have seen which is most but not all.

One of my favourite films and he is great in it.

Mars Attacks! very unlucky to miss out.

Always found it quite interesting that King famously hated Jack's performance in The Shining, because he felt the whole point of the story was a man slowly losing his sanity to a malevolent, haunted place.

And King's observation was that Nicholson looked fucking deranged from the very beginning, which I do have some sympathy with, even if I do think it's a great film and a great performance.

It's also telling how many films he has been very good in, but I have never really wanted to watch twice.

And quite a few - like Prizzi's Honour, Chinatown, Reds, The Two Jakes, Witches Of Eastwick, Ironweed, The Bucket List etc - that I have never even wanted to watch once, and haven't.

I'd probably go for OFOTCN, but he's pretty amazing in The Pledge too, especially his last 10 minutes or so as he goes totally mad.

But I do agree that he is very often simply playing versions of Jack. No bad thing though, my favourite actor of all time is Clint Eastwood, and he's always a version of Clint Eastwood.

No love for the Joker.

I know his performance was surpassed by Ledgers in many ways but he was excellent for me.

It's hard to compare both performances because of how the characters were written.

A few good men was excellent aswell.

Chinatown is a great movie, not so much because of Nicholson's performance, which is excellent, but because it's a great story, well-told.

Nicholson actually plays the straight man for all the eccentric characters he bumps into.

If you haven't seen it, you're missing one of the best movies ever made IMO.

• 1 year later...
Best films with Jack Nicholson in them - Chinatown, Postman Always Rings Twice, The Departed, Easy Rider and The Shining

Films that are only watchable because Jack Nicholson does a "Jack Nicholson" performance in them - Witches of Eastwick, Anger Management, Batman

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Chinatown is an excellent film. Nicholson is brilliant in it.

Jack Nicholson is iconic and brilliant in Cuckoo's Nest. Cuckoo's Nest is an excellent film. But his performance in this movie just edges it. It was a tough choice. I thought about voting for the Shining too.

• 2 years later...