You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

£3.5m x 5 = £17.5m as opposed to £12m x 5 = £60m!

That is why we have Andy Caroll and not Aguero!

Personally I think we need a Hazzard (type player) rather than a finisher, felt that yesterday. Hazzard in that team would have offered a completely different dimension to how we play, whereas a finisher wouldn't, he might finish a couple more chances but offer nothing more creatively.

If Hazzard's price is to prohibitive then maybe we need to shift the creativity somewhere else and look to Jovetivic and Goetze?

If Hazzard's price is to prohibitive then maybe we need to shift the creativity somewhere else and look to Jovetivic and Goetze?

In truth I think the ship has sailed with Hazzard, as much as I'd like him.

Goetze is fantastic, but I don't see any reason for him to leave Germany, I think Bayern are sniffing and pretty much have it in the bag, maybe look at Reus at Borussia Mönchengladbach, who's really looking the part.

Jovetic would be ace, and realistic I think, unless one of the establish Champions League teams come a knocking with promises of whores and lucre.

I don't see us getting a player of the calibre of Hazard or Gotze until we have secured a top 4 place.

Hasn't that Algerian lad Boudebouz been linked,I thought the idea was for us to get these lads before we had to pay 25ml for them.Players like Boudebouz,Martin Shaqiri all fit the bill.

I think we need a wide player for the right and a goal poacher.The like of Maxi,Kuyt are great for depth but will struggle to get us into a top 4 place IMO,both need replaced due to age aswell,we need to be bringing the age of the squad down.

In truth I think the ship has sailed with Hazzard, as much as I'd like him.

Goetze is fantastic, but I don't see any reason for him to leave Germany, I think Bayern are sniffing and pretty much have it in the bag, maybe look at Reus at Borussia Mönchengladbach, who's really looking the part.

Jovetic would be ace, and realistic I think, unless one of the establish Champions League teams come a knocking with promises of whores and lucre.

Sadly I think you are right over Hazzard, so I would personally look to Jovetivic to play just off Suarez and Affelay for the right. There doesn't seem to be any nailed on 'wingers' out there other than Hazzard, so we might be better looking to shift our emphasis somewhere else.

LINK

Belgian wing-wizard Eden Hazard has been linked with pretty much every big club in Europe over the last year, and now his club, Lille, have decided that the attacker is up for sale, albeit at a rather high price.

£43 million will get you the services of the fleet-footed 20-year-old, a figure which will probably put Arsenal, who have been consistently linked with the player, out of the running.

Lille president Michel Seydoux said: “The price is 50million euros – and we’d like to make that clear in advance. We are at a stage when the club is having discussions about what to do. It depends on the offers we get. Nobody is unsellable. We would be able to look for replacements with the money we would receive.”

Looks like the end of that then!

City or Madrid?

Wasnt it 40 million euros the other day ?

Anyway i reckon that's about what we'll need to spend if we are to get a player to really make a difference for us. Unless some top players contract is runnning down ?

I think there's a nice middle ground to be found between the Kuyt/Henderson and £45m personally. People get hung up on the likes of Goetze and Hazard as if they've the only players in Europe worth pursuing. You only have to look at our deal for Suarez to see that's far from the case.

I think there's a nice middle ground to be found between the Kuyt/Henderson and £45m personally. People get hung up on the likes of Goetze and Hazard as if they've the only players in Europe worth pursuing. You only have to look at our deal for Suarez to see that's far from the case.

I dont know who that would be though... Hopefully our management does. But i think our dealings this last summer left alot to be desired.

I know that despite what you spend there are no guarantees on how the player will turn out once he makes the move. But going after the top talent cost alot of money but it also maximise the chances of finding the right player. If we are to improve then the players we sign has to be of top quality. I dont see the point in adding players that wont go straight into the staring 11 and really make a difference.

I also think that Suarez was a bloody steal and if we can find a player in that price range who fits the description of what we need then im obviously all for it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Adam Johnson and a prolific striker in January and top 4 is certain

Having spent 20m on a winger and 35m on a striker, we need a winger and a striker to sort us out? Unfortunately, I agree. I just can't see us spending massive amounts of money this winter. We spent so much over the last 12 months that there's going to have to come a time when the owners say 'we've backed you significantly in the market, you need to get the best out of the players you've purchased'. I think that's a fair shout, and it illustrates the dangers of getting 2/3 significant purchases wrong.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
but could he do it against Stoke on a windy midweek game :whistle:

Unfortunately not. To be fair, he only came on after 65 minutes.

Ohh... you mean Hulk. No idea.

Having spent 20m on a winger and 35m on a striker, we need a winger and a striker to sort us out? Unfortunately, I agree. I just can't see us spending massive amounts of money this winter. We spent so much over the last 12 months that there's going to have to come a time when the owners say 'we've backed you significantly in the market, you need to get the best out of the players you've purchased'. I think that's a fair shout, and it illustrates the dangers of getting 2/3 significant purchases wrong.

Think you're probably right. I mean nobody knows what will happen but I'd imagine its unlikely they're going to throw 20 or 30 million into the coffers.

I think we'll bring in someone though, maybe a loan signing. I think we're in a position right now which shows we're right in the mix but still lacking a bit of the cutting edge a few of our rivals have.

I'd guess that means we'll be on the lookout for some sort of forward be it a proper out and out forward or a wide player with goals in his locker.