You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Does anyone know how transfers at Anfield are managed? For example, does Kenny say to Comolli 'go find me a striker/full back/winger etc' then Comolli goes and looks for one? Or does Comolli then have to go to FSG and justify why Kenny needs a player? Or do the scouts report direct to Kenny? Comolli must be the FSG adviser (cos they know diddly about football). So who negotiates the deals? Comolli, Kenny? FSG? Does Kenny have the final say? Or do they all have to agree? Are FSG imposing any restrictions on the types of player that can be bought e.g. must be English/Welsh, young, must have prem experience etc?

Would be helpful if we knew how the club approached deals

Does anyone know how transfers at Anfield are managed? For example, does Kenny say to Comolli 'go find me a striker/full back/winger etc' then Comolli goes and looks for one? Or does Comolli then have to go to FSG and justify why Kenny needs a player? Or do the scouts report direct to Kenny? Comolli must be the FSG adviser (cos they know diddly about football). So who negotiates the deals? Comolli, Kenny? FSG? Does Kenny have the final say? Or do they all have to agree? Are FSG imposing any restrictions on the types of player that can be bought e.g. must be English/Welsh, young, must have prem experience etc?

Would be helpful if we knew how the club approached deals

no.

If Shaqiri goes to Galatasary and does as well as his potential suggests you honestly believe we'd have a chance of getting him? Every big club in Europe will be after him, most of who will blow us out the water financially.

He Is exactly the type of player we should be looking at, a player with the potential to be world class but not cost a world class transfer fee/wages.

Fuck all that lets wait and see bollocks because we can't afford to do that

Isn't that one of the things that was highlighted by John Henry himself, I thought I vaguely remember him saying in an interview one of our aims was to get out there and get top young talent before other big clubs do.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Isn't that one of the things that was highlighted by John Henry himself, I thought I vaguely remember him saying in an interview one of our aims was to get out there and get top young talent before other big clubs do.

That's the paradigm I thought we were going to use in our player purchases. It's exactly the right thing to do in order to keep up with the Jones over the league. We need to get top young talent before they're snapped up a season after for 25m. We've been linked with some good names in that department: Shaqiri, Castaignos, Luuk De Jong, et al. However, I think it's pretty clear we're really looking for players with experience in this league. That's not down to John Henry, that's down to Comolli and/or Kenny.

I'm sure we want to pass in favour of some other lad from the premiership. I've got nothing against picking up young talent from other parts of the league, but there's very few players around right now who are going to catapult us up the league. It looks like we're looking at the stats and coming to dodgy conclusions.

We got Downing based on stats, Carroll based on stats, Henderson based on stats. It seems that we'll be doing the same thing with Allen and Sinclair. I've got no problem with either of those players if we get them for the right price, they have decent enough potential. However, neither are likely to be world class.

That's pure speculation on your part and I would suggest highly unlikely.

And I've seen plenty of him for Lille to be utterly convinced that he's worth signing at the right price (i.e. around €10m, which is what has been quoted), so we're at something of an impasse now, aren't we?

It's wasting money on those kind of players that make sure we're standing still when we need to move forward. This is a case of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Which it certainly isnt in this case.

I hope your post doesn't reflect the thinking of the average LFC fan, because that's a total myth. Henry scored 26 goals in his first season for Arsenal. Because he didn't score for the first six or seven games, people try to use that to suggest he took ages to settle and had a shit first season. It's just not true. He'd already scored plenty of goals (10) by the time the winter transfer window had come around, let alone the end of the season.

Quite correct my error. Perhaps what I should have said : Based on his season at Inter (where it's clear he was playing out of position)He would not have been bought.

However the real point I'm wanting to make is that Henderson has played half a season, is young, has played several games out of position and deserves our backing right now and that post smacks of Sky sports instant success supporters.

Not sure that I would want Defoe. He's alright but he would only be a short-term fix, and that's if he actually rediscovers his form.

The two Teixeiras sound interesting. The one from Sporting looked very promising in the Nextgen games.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Quite correct my error. Perhaps what I should have said : Based on his season at Inter (where it's clear he was playing out of position)He would not have been bought.

However the real point I'm wanting to make is that Henderson has played half a season, is young, has played several games out of position and deserves our backing right now and that post smacks of Sky sports instant success supporters.

He never played for Inter. He spend 6 months at Juventus playing left wing. I don't care that you didn't know that, mate, I care that you're talking about 'the level of the average Liverpool fan', and therefore implying you're not an average Liverpool fan and have a higher understanding.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That's pure speculation on your part and I would suggest highly unlikely.

So this stat-based 'moneyball' that Comolli and John Henry have been famously involved with had nothing to do with it? Not sure we're going to agree on that one.

He never played for Inter. He spend 6 months at Juventus playing left wing. I don't care that you didn't know that, mate, I care that you're talking about 'the level of the average Liverpool fan', and therefore implying you're not an average Liverpool fan and have a higher understanding.

No I consider myself to be like many other supporters, an average fan , have been for a long time I don't profess a higher understanding but IMO slagging players off after half a season is not how it should be.Given were the club was 14 months ago we are making progress it won't happen overnight but at least now we are moving forward.

So this stat-based 'moneyball' that Comolli and John Henry have been famously involved with had nothing to do with it? Not sure we're going to agree on that one.

No we aren't I guess because whilst Comolli admits to looking at stats I would also expect the club to scout players as well and not purchase based on stats alone.

Bent or Defoe and two no mark Swansea players? Another £25m or so spent.

I'm being eaten away. This is the end of me. Oh god in heaven help me

It's not happened yet, and Sinclair and Allen wouldnt be no mark players either, but hardly what we are crying out for. And i'd say any verdict will have to wait until after the window, and then also how the player(s) we sign will do for us. But yeah, if we spend a good chunk of money on 3 players that wont really make a difference i'll be gutted.

Henry talked about moneyball recently. All clubs in the MLB use it to some extent so there is no competitive edge. I'm sure they'll look at things like crosses sent from danger areas, or incisive passes completed, etc. when buying someone... I'm sure it isn't all they base it on though.

Downing is Mr. Stats, because his game is pretty consistent and straight forward. He'll repeat various things over and over again, because that is his game.

Someone like Messi would have stats all over the place, because I doubt even he knows what he is about to do.

I don't think this would hinder or help any purchase particularly well, however, most of Barca are consistent players who do the same things over and over and over again. It's what makes them effective, because they're constantly doing what they do.

It's not happened yet, and Sinclair and Allen wouldnt be no mark players either, but hardly what we are crying out for. And i'd say any verdict will have to wait until after the window, and then also how the player(s) we sign will do for us. But yeah, if we spend a good chunk of money on 3 players that wont really make a difference i'll be gutted.

Sinclair would definitely add some pace off the bench. It's clear we're trying to get more pace in the squad.

Allen? He looks good.

Texeira? Maybe he's just what we need up front. Either way... we've got replace Kuyt, Maxi, and add another striker(or two) in these two windows (now and summer).

Are Kuyt and Maxi definitely being sold then?

Rather we got rid of the shit players first.

Maxi isn't getting a look in when he's uninjured, and there was talk of him going to Argentina last summer... and word on the grapevine is that we're looking to sell Kuyt.

So, yeah, they're going to need replacing... we'll need two right sided wingers/forwards to fill in for them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Henry talked about moneyball recently. All clubs in the MLB use it to some extent so there is no competitive edge. I'm sure they'll look at things like crosses sent from danger areas, or incisive passes completed, etc. when buying someone... I'm sure it isn't all they base it on though.

Downing is Mr. Stats, because his game is pretty consistent and straight forward. He'll repeat various things over and over again, because that is his game.

Someone like Messi would have stats all over the place, because I doubt even he knows what he is about to do.

I don't think this would hinder or help any purchase particularly well, however, most of Barca are consistent players who do the same things over and over and over again. It's what makes them effective, because they're constantly doing what they do.

I'm not 100% sure of the point you're making, but I don't really disagree with much you've said here. Stats are a useful secondary device to aid the purchaser to make an informed decision; to add more meat to the sandwich.

What people like Code do, is take out the meat, scrap the bread, and replace it with stats. That's a pretty grim sandwich right there.

I'm hungry.

I'm not 100% sure of the point you're making, but I don't really disagree with much you've said here. Stats are a useful secondary device to aid the purchaser to make an informed decision; to add more meat to the sandwich.

What people like Code do, is take out the meat, scrap the bread, and replace it with stats. That's a pretty grim sandwich right there.

I'm hungry.

I didn't, either, really.

I agree with the point about needing more pace in the side,i was hoping that would happen more with the summer signings and while it has a bit,bellamy and downing for example,adam is very slow despite being skillful.

It would appear that Commoli is the man with his finger on overseas talent whereas I would guess Kenny seems to favour the closer to home types.

It's just fucking ridiculous. There's not even the excuse people were using with Downing (where the argument was that we couldn't get better players as we couldn't afford or attract them). Shaqiri is going to fucking Galatasary. It seems, again, we're only interested in actually going for people who are playing in this league.

I have seen Shaqiri only once, at home against the mancs and I have to say his crossing was mildly shocking, he hit the first defender 9 out of 10 times.

For him to go to Turkey might not be a bad move for him at all.