You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

This from the offal today

Kenny Dalglish today revealed Liverpool are looking at a deal to sign teenage playmaker Joao Carlos Teixeira.

The 19-year-old starred against the Reds for Sporting Lisbon in the NextGen Series earlier this season, scoring the opener to help his side win 3-0 at Anfield.

Soon he could be putting in similar performances in a red shirt.

Dalglish told his pre-Bolton press conference: "There might be something about that, yes.

"If we've something to say we'll tell you but I think there might be something on that.

"He's only a kid."

On whether there would be much activity in terms of signing senior players, Dalglish added: "We're expecting a quiet window. The Academy aren't, but we are."

I dont seen the point in signing Teixeira, I really don't.

Those sort of lads look class in teams like Sporting, where the ethos is to pass and move, and everyone can do just that, great technique on them.

But stick Texeira in with Sama, Mendy, and those sort of lads, and he turns into Suso, or Adorjan, great players just pissing into the wind.

The only time I would advocate a foreign signing like this, at his age level, would be if they were the new Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, or Messi, just players who can beat men and score goals through pure trickery and pace.

We're taking a shit and wiping our arse with a £1m pound note.

This from the offal today

Kenny Dalglish today revealed Liverpool are looking at a deal to sign teenage playmaker Joao Carlos Teixeira.

The 19-year-old starred against the Reds for Sporting Lisbon in the NextGen Series earlier this season, scoring the opener to help his side win 3-0 at Anfield.

Soon he could be putting in similar performances in a red shirt.

Dalglish told his pre-Bolton press conference: "There might be something about that, yes.

"If we've something to say we'll tell you but I think there might be something on that.

"He's only a kid."

On whether there would be much activity in terms of signing senior players, Dalglish added: "We're expecting a quiet window. The Academy aren't, but we are."

So he's not for the first team then. Think it's incredibly short sighted if we don't strengthen the first team this window, we want champions league next year not go yet another season without, it's madness to rely on our strike force who seem to be the most incompetent we've ever had. Hopefully commolli is working on something.

Those sort of lads look class in teams like Sporting, where the ethos is to pass and move, and everyone can do just that, great technique on them.

But stick Texeira in with Sama, Mendy, and those sort of lads, and he turns into Suso, or Adorjan, great players just pissing into the wind.

The only time I would advocate a foreign signing like this, at his age level, would be if they were the new Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, or Messi, just players who can beat men and score goals through pure trickery and pace.

Isn't that OUR ethos too? Isn't that what we are trying to achieve from the Academy to the 1st team? It may take a few years but pass and move players is excatly the type we should be signing.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That's some short sighted thinkin' right there, mate. If he's going to be a class act, and he looks like he might well be, then signing him for a million might well be the shrewdest move we've made in quite a while.

Teixeira is 19 and will be pushing for a place in the first team.

He will prob be in the ressies until he is used to the club but once settled i think he will be involved with the first team squad.

Quality player and a load of bollocks about not signing that kind of player.

Dalglish wants us to play pass and move hence us signing payers who are comfortable at this playing style.

Teixeira is 19 and will be pushing for a place in the first team.

He will prob be in the ressies until he is used to the club but once settled i think he will be involved with the first team squad.

Quality player and a load of bollocks about not signing that kind of player.

Dalglish wants us to play pass and move hence us signing payers who are comfortable at this playing style.

If you watch the interview it's almost like Kenny has nothing to do with the academy signings and it's a separate entity. But you never know with Kenny he's very blunt at being coy.

If we're such a good pass-and-move team then why did Sporting rock up to Anfield and shaft us 0-3, using their own pass-and-move stuff?

I would argue that we didn't actually do the 'pass' bit very well because Sporting usually had the ball themselves. So, no, we're not building a pass-and-move side, certainly not in the ressies. It's full of 17-19 year olds who end up fucking off on loan or moving clubs when they get to age 20, because we no longer rate them. You can't build a new side every two years and expect it to be a pass-and-move side, it's impossible.

As for the first team, why would we need someone like Teixeira? Another central operator with good feet but average pace? Oh goody, can we stash him alongside Joe Cole, just behind Aquilani, or perhaps to the left of Suso or maybe we can cram him above Adam or Henderson?

If we're such a good pass-and-move team then why did Sporting rock up to Anfield and shaft us 0-3, using their own pass-and-move stuff?

I don't think he implied we're 'such a good pass-and-move team', just that pass-and-move is what we're trying to implement as a basic philosophy at all levels. Sporting are ahead of us in youth terms because British clubs are only now looking at youth development seriously (despite spending millions on academies), whereas the likes of Sporting and Barcelona have been doing it for decades. The philosophy at those clubs has had time to become ingrained.

I'm sure there was a point some years back where a Barcelona fan called 'graciós' and a Sporting fan called 'engraçado' thought that things weren't happening quickly enough at youth level. That was probably in the days before the internet though, so they used their real names. The point is, those clubs were once where we are right now at youth level.

Anyway, as you were.

Dalglish wants us to play pass and move hence us signing payers who are comfortable at this playing style

I think being able to "pass" and also "move" are two of the most basic requirements for a footballer.

Although it is fair to say that Kenny appears to have spent £35 on a player who can't do either.

I'm bored of this "pass and move" shit anyway. I just want a team that wins trophies. All the top clubs in the world play good football. Because they have good footballers and good teams.

We shouldn't have a "type". The great Liverpool Teams have a mixture of skills and talents, and some are destructive and some are creative. Some are delightful to watch, others brutally effective.

There isn't a "type" of Liverpool player. There's great players, good players and average players and shit players. And the same goes for teams.

We were playing pass and move football at the back end of last season and many of the players integral to it were either sold in the summer or relegated to fringe roles this campaign. In their place we have spent a fortune on an old fashioned English target man and players to pump the ball into the box for him from wide positions.

What makes anyone believe we're trying to build a pass and move team when all of our transfer activity over the past 12 months suggest we're abandoning that philosophy in favour of a far more direct brand of football?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think being able to "pass" and also "move" are two of the most basic requirements for a footballer.

Although it is fair to say that Kenny appears to have spent £35 on a player who can't do either.

I'm bored of this "pass and move" shit anyway. I just want a team that wins trophies. All the top clubs in the world play good football. Because they have good footballers and good teams.

We shouldn't have a "type". The great Liverpool Teams have a mixture of skills and talents, and some are destructive and some are creative. Some are delightful to watch, others brutally effective.

There isn't a "type" of Liverpool player. There's great players, good players and average players and shit players. And the same goes for teams.

We can't be one-dimensional, either. Just playing that sort of football doesn't always work. There's times when we're going to need to counter attack properly. We can't do that with Andy Carroll. At least not effectively.

It'd make sense to put hin in the reserves till the end of the season and maybe have him on the first-team bench a bit. Then next season involve him with the first team if he does well. Give him a go in the Carling Cup and the Europa League if we're stuck in that.

We often lack a creative player to bring on with 10 minutes to go. Not good news for Adorjan, though.

"On whether there would be much activity in terms of signing senior players, Dalglish added: "We're expecting a quiet window. The Academy aren't, but we are."

This comment has not been mentioned much. is this a matter of leading the press in the wrong direction or are we simply saying we are not signing anyone or any big names etc?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This comment has not been mentioned much. is this a matter of leading the press in the wrong direction or are we simply saying we are not signing anyone or any big names etc?

He was quite honest last summer when he said we'd be doing business. I just reckon we'll not be getting m/any players.

Looks like we're concentrating on signing a few teenagers for the under 18s and reserves more than anything.

He was quite honest last summer when he said we'd be doing business. I just reckon we'll not be getting m/any players.

Looks like we're concentrating on signing a few teenagers for the under 18s and reserves more than anything.

Seems that way.

Hard to say, really.

I didn't really expect much to happen, to be honest. Whether that's due to lack of funds or Kenny being happy with what he has, I'm not sure.

Both are concerning.

But let's see what happens