You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A few years ago, I didn't... despite his ability to cause us absolute fits.

This year, he really came into his own as a player, and outshone Young at Villa.

he really didn't - well not in my opinion

everyone just seems to be remebering that goal he scored against us last game of the season

Downing is what he has always been - a bit meh

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm surprised by the love myself, thought there would be more 'average', 'one season wonder' etc comments.

I've heard people say he reminds them of Barnes, of Giggs and call him 'top class'. I'd say some might be overselling it.

He's an unspectacular winger who doesn't have any particularly outstanding attributes; average pace; ordinary goalscoring record; no amazing tricks to beat a man.

He had a good season for Villa last year and is far better than anything else we have on the wings. He works hard and at his best is a very effective player.

If anyone on this site had said that we should pay £20m for him, they would have been laughed off the Forum.

Although the same is true for Henderson and Carroll and their transfer fees.

Good player, but not top 4 quality in my opinion, which is why I would prefer we went after other, better players. When you look at the top 6 last season, you see Malouda, Bale, Nasri, Silva who are all miles better than Downing plus Man Utd have bought Young who is twice the player Downing will ever be, then we've really got problems if we're going to be buying Downing to try and compete with them.

I read somewhere that John Barnes said on LFC TV that the reason why we won so much before was because we had the best players, and I agree with him. Buying players that are only "decent" is not going to get us anywhere fast.

He's an unspectacular winger who doesn't have any particularly outstanding attributes; average pace; ordinary goalscoring record; no amazing tricks to beat a man.

He had a good season for Villa last year and is far better than anything else we have on the wings. He works hard and at his best is a very effective player.

If anyone on this site had said that we should pay £20m for him, they would have been laughed off the Forum.

Carroll's fee was inflated for numerous reasons

£13m (+ add ons) for Henderson is to be expected for a young English U21 'star'

£20m for Downing when he hasn't progressed since signing for £12m 3 years ago is just fucking ridiculous

Villa don't want to sell - please can we just take the hint and move on

Good player, but not top 4 quality in my opinion, which is why I would prefer we went after other, better players. When you look at the top 6 last season, you see Malouda, Bale, Nasri, Silva who are all miles better than Downing plus Man Utd have bought Young who is twice the player Downing will ever be, then we've really got problems if we're going to be buying Downing to try and compete with them.

I read somewhere that John Barnes said on LFC TV that the reason why we won so much before was because we had the best players, and I agree with him. Buying players that are only "decent" is not going to get us anywhere fast.

Young is definitly not twice the player downing is that is for sure, you say you agree with Barnes but he was on LFC TV on friday saying how downing would be a good signing.

Young is definitly not twice the player downing is that is for sure, you say you agree with Barnes but he was on LFC TV on friday saying how downing would be a good signing.

What, so if I agree with one thing he says, that means I have to agree with everything that comes out of his mouth after that?

If the previous incumbent had tried this, there wouldn't be a forum left. Red Nick would have exploded killing anything in a 1400 mile radius.

No, by the way. In fact, I think Maxi is a better player. £20m is meant to buy you a Suarez or a Torres, that is match winners who can be counted on to change a game when the Fulhams of this world refuse to leave their box. I don't think Downing is that and have been lamenting this transfer since we were first linked. I just don't think he has the tools to be good enough for a side which has designs on being able to compete on all three fronts.

It's done though, I'm over it.

Well the statement you agreed with was when he said we were the best because we had the best 'british' players, Downing was one of the best british players in the prem last season so you either agree or dont.

I read that Barnes had said we had the best players in the league at the time which is why we won it year in year out, if he didn't and whoever posted it was wrong, and he said British, then I don't agree with him. Look at the list of people who played on the left for the other teams (Bale, Nasri, Malouda, Silva) and the player who Man Utd have signed to play on the left (Young). Are you really trying to tell me Downing is in the same league as those 5 players?

I read that Barnes had said we had the best players in the league at the time which is why we won it year in year out, if he didn't and whoever posted it was wrong, and he said British, then I don't agree with him. Look at the list of people who played on the left for the other teams (Bale, Nasri, Malouda, Silva) and the player who Man Utd have signed to play on the left (Young). Are you really trying to tell me Downing is in the same league as those 5 players?

I agree with what your saying mate but think you are not giving downing enough credit.I would take Downing over Malouda as he is too old and Young because he comes in field too much when we need someone who will hug the line.

I like Downing but cant disagree with those saying he will cost too much and even if we do sign him I think we still need another winger with different qualitys.

Downing will give us width and good crosses but we also need someone who has pace and likes to go past playrs.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The only things I would say Young has over Downing is pace,free kicks and penaltys although I have never seen Downing take a penalty.

So let me get this straight:

Younger

Faster

Better At Set-pieces

Scores more

Creates more

And that's it? Pft. Downing it is.

So let me get this straight:

Younger

Faster

Better At Set-pieces

Scores more

Creates more

And that's it? Pft. Downing it is.

"All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?"