You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marveaux

RobbieOR

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this one has been in the offing for a while, thought it was all set up and ready to go since christmas, indeed i was surprised it wasn't announced at seson's end/from June 1st......the delay in pushing it through could be bad news in my view i.e. we set up the deal but then better targets appeared on the horizon and we put Marveaux on the back burner as a fallback option

two wingers out of hazard, mata, downing, nzogbia (young and marin rejected us) would be better but i think hazard is a no-go and the appointment of Mcleish makes life difficult for us on two fronts

1) he'll go all-in for another target dann

2) Villa will not provoke their already enraged fans even further by selling Downing on top of Young and hiring public enemy number 1

So basically events are conspiring against us during this window and as usual we are making life very difficult for ourselves by selecting targets that are proving problematic to get

The Marveaux signing is bad news because it means one of two winger slots has gone to an injury prone unproven player, the other target will be Downing, Nzogbia or Mata (doubt we'll get two of those)

N'zogbia would be the easiest to get, 12 million and he's yours and in my view he is a better player than Downing but he is probably third in priority, Kenny has his heart set on Downing but Villa will not sell unless he puts in a transfer request or they sign 2 or 3 quality replacements, so the only way we'll get him is for big money (20 million plus) very late in the window in my opinion and again I think this is an example of overpaying. Mata would be ideal at around 20 million but there'll be four or five heavyweights in for him even if Valencia do let him go

all in all, it's underwhelming signs at the moment, not long ago we were led to believe the likes of alexis sanchez, hazard and mata would be our likely targets in this window but reality is hitting home and we are now struggling to get even the likes of Downing and Adam and have signed Marveaux on a free and Henderson for 16/20 million depending on who you believe

I think at the end of the window we'll have signed 6-7 mainly decent but not earth-shattering british players for about 70 million, our squad will be better but our first eleven will still be struggling to crash the big four party which is disappointing

i keep returning to the optimism behind the theory that suggest Pepe Reina is staying because of the grand project we are setting in motion and now I can't help but think that Reina was sold a dummy, perhaps he was told our list of targets and that we would spend 70 to 80 million in the summer, the truth not told there though is many of the marquee names on to list of targets presented to pepe are probably now beyond are reach

Towards the end of the window we may get 1 high-profile high level player but that's certainly not a certainty and it will be just one if it happens at all

So in conclusion, things aren't half as bright and breezy as we were led to believe about a month ago but of course compared to last season we are in dreamland - it's all about perspective i guess, we ain't going bust but we ain't winning the title anytime soon until we can snare a few higher quality targets so champions league is understandably the target at the moment but even that will be a struggle based on our likely signings at the moment, 4th is essential next season or we'll be back in the same boat next season squabbling over the likes of dann, downing and adam while our rivals look at modric, neymar and alexis sanchez

mata would be a great sign of intent, in fact his signing could be the tipping point for us, just about getting us over the line to 4th place and then exploding from there, i can't emphasise how important that signing could be

Or it could be that the international transfer window hasn't opened yet and that's why he hasn't signed.

According to the French dude who wrote the 'Under the Loop' article, he's injury prone, he can't cross for toffee, he doesn't track back when needed, he's got no right foot whatsoever, he constantly cuts inside and he's not as good as footballing maestro El Hadj Diouf but other than that he's a great player. I hope this is all way off the mark.

I asked this elsewhere, but why have Rennes allowed him to run his contract down? This has all the hallmarks of a signing from 1 or 2 years ago, and not now.

I think he share the same agent as Owen. He has been on holiday since 2003.

Can't say I'm thrilled with the thought of this signing, it does have the hallmarks of the... let's say less successful transfers of Houllier (from Ligue 1) and Rafa (a Bosman).

I won't apologise for that since it's a natural human instinct to be wary of things that have burned you in the past, but since I haven't seen the lad play and don't know the details of any contract that will be offered (under our new ownership and management I'd like to think the extortionate wages and signing-on fees will be a thing of the past), I'll treat any signings of this nature with cautious optimism until proven otherwise.

Plus the fact we are looking set start the season with around six senior central midfielders indicates we are looking to build a squad with a depth of around two per position (as we bloody well should), so hopefully we can get at least two more wide players in and if Marveaux is backup to one of them I won't complain. It's early days in the transfer window, if he's the best winger we have signed come the end of August then I'll start to worry.

No point pissing your knickers about it, seems relatively low risk as there is no money down™ for a potentially ace player probably average. All signings are a risk, why not take a free one?

I can understand the concern. Just look at the Bosman's we've done in the last few years. The problem with free transfers is the wages they get.

If they bomb, it's really difficult to get rid of them and they end up costing shitloads.

That's obviously not the case with all free transfer signings so we'll just have to wait and see how he does.

I think some concern is normal given the level of injuries and the fact that he's supposedly Rennes best player but they have let his contract run down. We also do not appear to have had any competition for his signature even in France.

Obviously signing him could be a work of absolute genius, and let's hope so.

I can understand the concern. Just look at the Bosman's we've done in the last few years. The problem with free transfers is the wages they get.

If they bomb, it's really difficult to get rid of them and they end up costing shitloads.

That's obviously not the case with all free transfer signings so we'll just have to wait and see how he does.

You can only hope this was a deal comolli was looking at while he was in France, so the deal is attractive by French/St ettiene standards as opposed some of the mental freebies we've done in recent years. The lad was at a game as early as mid-December which can only be weeks after DC was hired and he's not played since has he? You'd have to assume any scouting by comolli was not done since he was employed by LFC.

I can understand everyone's worry, he seems to have neither the pedigree or the fitness record to suggest he will be anything but another degen/jovanovich type signing. Hopefully the deal is cheap enough for us to off him back to France easily.