You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I remember as a child going on holiday to butlins. There would be an evening show in the theatre, and beside the stage was a large board which read "baby crying in chalet " and a space underneath for a number. Did I imagine this or was it once common practice, and socially acceptable, to leave young children home alone whilst adults went out on the lash?

I remember as a child going on holiday to butlins. There would be an evening show in the theatre, and beside the stage was a large board which read "baby crying in chalet " and a space underneath for a number. Did I imagine this or was it once common practice, and socially acceptable, to leave young children home alone whilst adults went out on the lash?

I often describe my mum as not quite the best, fair few drugs and alot of drink.

She never once left me on my own before the age of 8. Not much older it became a norm, but at 2 and 4, nah. I reckon she'd murder me if i'd done it with mine.

I've never once left my kids unsupervised at such ages, not even for a run to the corner shop. If we ran out of milk, we ran out of milk. Being the only adult in the house there was no choice, leave kids or do without. Fucking hell, we just did without.

If i'd of known it was so socially acceptable to leave them to it whilst i went the pub (which at most was 50m away when we lived in Tywyn) I still wouldn't of done it.

You have kids, it's your responsibility to make sure they're safe and well cared for, twenty four hours a day seven days a week. If that means you don't have a life, tough shit.

I often describe my mum as not quite the best, fair few drugs and alot of drink.

She never once left me on my own before the age of 8. Not much older it became a norm, but at 2 and 4, nah. I reckon she'd murder me if i'd done it with mine.

I've never once left my kids unsupervised at such ages, not even for a run to the corner shop. If we ran out of milk, we ran out of milk. Being the only adult in the house there was no choice, leave kids or do without. Fucking hell, we just did without.

If i'd of known it was so socially acceptable to leave them to it whilst i went the pub (which at most was 50m away when we lived in Tywyn) I still wouldn't of done it.

You have kids, it's your responsibility to make sure they're safe and well cared for, twenty four hours a day seven days a week. If that means you don't have a life, tough shit.

I completely agree, I watch my children like a hawk. The butlins memory just came to me whilst reading the forum. I do also remember thinking that people couldn't actually leave babies unattended, but nevertheless the board was there, I'm almost sure of it. Does no-one else remember it?

How much money have they made off the back of this?

A mill, two mill?

Good little scam, they getting paid for killing their own kid and dining out with freinds afterwards. Nice work if you can get it like.

A bit less if they stood their round.

I'm sure it was common practice amongst the Butlins-visiting classes.

How much money have they made off the back of this?

A mill, two mill?

Good little scam, they getting paid for killing their own kid and dining out with freinds afterwards. Nice work if you can get it like.

Fuck off Dennis. You can't know that and it is a disgusting accusation to make. Until there is evidence know nothing fucktards on the internet should keep it to themselves.

When I was four or five we used to go to my Aunties in Freshfield. He was a high flyer and lived on the edge of the squirrel woods. As soon as the car door was opened we would be off looking for frogs, newts and squirrels till well past 10pm while the adults got bladdered.

I am not defending leaving kids alone but 50 yards away in clear sight with checks every 15 minutes on holiday I could have been talked into it.

Oh go on it will be fine, you never let me have any fun blah blah,

Ok then.

Desperately sad and a terrible situation and I cannot imagine what it must be like to lose a kid. I am sick to the stomach when I lose my wallet.

Brendan displayed this sort of behaviour the last time he was here, and got banned. This time he's paid his money, gotten comfortable, and now he has his feet under the table he's starting to slip back into his naughty ways.

Brendan. What a common, insignificant name.

BBC News - Met Police 'bring expertise' to Madeleine McCann search

I'm sure the parents of all the UK's missing children will be comforted at the Met bringing their expertise to the search for their children. What's that you say? It's only the McCann case? The high profile media case? Why Mr Cameron, sir, are you simply looking for some cheap publicity on the back of a missing child?

Your mum used drink and drugs? Was it because of you? :yes::drool:

Horrible thread this. The McCanns were clearly negligent and had they been working class and unmarried, they would certainly have been slaughtered in the media and probably sentenced in the courts. However, they are using what skills and contacts they have to maximise the chances of finding out what has happened to the child they lost due to their own selfishness and wanton disregard for the kids' safety.

The mistake/crime has been made/committed - we should all support them in their efforts to find the child.

Guest TK-421

Seems like we've got a whole bunch of lawyers in the house. Charged and sentenced on what grounds? Don't just say "working class", you need to do better than that.

By common I didn't mean it was popular.

I had you down as a Gerald, no offence.

I suppose Brendan is OK. Look on the bright side.

So you meant "common" as in "declasse"?

Like it's the sort of name that some kind of council estate bing-bong would bestow on their child in the mistaken belief that it is somehow an interesting or cool name?

Like, erm......Jaden or Jude or sommat?

no, that's why I said probably. Certainly the Portuguese courts considered it. My (limited) understanding is that it would have been possible to charge the McCanns with neglect, though it might have been a long court case to achieve a conviction and I suspect the appetite wasn't there for it.

So you meant "common" as in "declasse"?

Like it's the sort of name that some kind of council estate bing-bong would bestow on their child in the mistaken belief that it is somehow an interesting or cool name?

Like, erm......Jaden or Jude or sommat?

They would if they were Irish.

Guest TK-421
no, that's why I said probably. Certainly the Portuguese courts considered it. My (limited) understanding is that it would have been possible to charge the McCanns with neglect, though it might have been a long court case to achieve a conviction and I suspect the appetite wasn't there for it.

You said "clearly negligent". On what grounds were they clearly negligent? In UK law there is no minimum age at which a child can be legally left alone. The legislation does not cover it.

Bearing in mind that all of the witnesses said they were checking every 15-30 minutes, that all of them had children and none were charged, that the apartments were probably secure etc. On what basis were the McCanns clearly negligent?