You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which Liverpool side do you most associate yourself with?

Section_31

One of the great things about having Dalglish back is that it's brought back the memories for me of his late 80s team(s). And I realised that even though I've loved players down the years like Fowler, Hyypia etc, that was the team that most imprinted itself on me. I've still got some autographed caricatures somewhere of the likes of McMahon and Beardsley and I still get a buzz when I see them being interviewed on the telly, or hear Molby or Aldo on the radio. They're my boys.

That was 'my' Liverpool team.

Anyone else get that? Do you associate more strongly with a particular set of players? Or do you just love the club itself and not expend too much thought on the personnel?

probably for most people it would be the Liverpool team when you were 8-11 years old and you had all posters on the wall, for me 94/95 Fowler, McManaman, Redknapp

Yep - for me it's got to be

1981 - Clemence, Neal, Thompson, Hansen, Kennedy, Lee, Souness, McDermott, Kennedy, Dalglish, Johnson

or

1984 - Grobbelaar, Neal, Lawrenson, Hansen, Kennedy, Lee, Souness, Johnston, Whelan, Dalglish, Rush

Sheer class

More Kenny first time round although I was 10 when he left.

Then the Evans era. These days I don't really associate myself with any of them, certainly don't feel any affinity towards them like I did Barnes, Craig Johnstron, Rushie, Molby etc. then God and McManmanan. View the current lot as mostly money grabbing, mercenary wage thieves but we have more than enough threads along those lines throughout the forum.

Maybe it's being grown up and being capable of seeing them for what they are rather than childlike idolisation.

More Kenny first time round although I was 10 when he left.

Then the Evans era. These days I don't really associate myself with any of them, certainly don't feel any affinity towards them like I did Barnes, Craig Johnstron, Rushie, Molby etc. then God and McManmanan. View the current lot as mostly money grabbing, mercenary wage thieves but we have more than enough threads along those lines throughout the forum.

Maybe it's being grown up and being capable of seeing them for what they are rather than childlike idolisation.

I think that generation were certainly more approachable. We had family photos with Barnes and Aldo on where they'd been at a cousin's wedding I think it was, just ordinary blokes in a social club drinking a pint. Pretty unthinkable now.

I am of the Fowler, McManaman, Redknap, Babb, Ruddock, James, Kennedy, Berger contingent and still have a small framed team picture with the players individually caricatured up on my wall. I also associate myself with the latter days of Rush, Barnes and Wright. The Roy evans era basically so I also get the early days of Carragher and Gerrard - a nice cross over of some great club legends.

I was 10 when he took over and 14 when Houllier came in so it fits in nicely with Jamespp's theory.

Theteams from 72 through to 79 for me as i'm a bit of a codger now. Keegan, Toshack, Cormack etc up to Rush Kenny ,Sounness, then stopped going to play footie instead.

The kenny for kevin swap was the big thing as I was worried sick we wouldn't replace king kev but Bob knew better. Happy days indeed

I'll probably be in a minority of one here - but the 08/09 team.

The back end of Kenny's first reign is just a distant childhood memory, and while the team of that year maybe didn't play as good football as Evans' side or win the cups that Ged's teams and Rafa's first teams did, coming that close to the holy grail, the best midfield in the world feeding a pre-arsy Torres, the rollercoaster of those frustrating 0-0s combined with 4 and 5 goal demolitions, maybe I'm not being nostaligic enough and too recent but that's my choice.

Obviously 2005 gets a shout just for sheer emotion (I'd just finished a spectacularly messy break up on the eve of the first Leverkusen game which subsequently cheered me the fuck up no end, and it obviously snowballed from there), and I think the 05/06 team is underrated (not necessarily by anyone on here), but for a season as a whole in the league, that one has to take it.

Theteams from 72 through to 79 for me as i'm a bit of a codger now. Keegan, Toshack, Cormack etc up to Rush Kenny ,Sounness, then stopped going to play footie instead.

The kenny for kevin swap was the big thing as I was worried sick we wouldn't replace king kev but Bob knew better. Happy days indeed

I loved those teams as well - I remember as a kid listening to the UEFA away games on the radio - we'd strangle the life out of those games where the first leg was away.

My other favourite period was the mid 80's, with the arrival of Molby, a player I used to love watching.

From what I remember I didn't have them all on my card, but this was the good old days when we were glory hunting whopper free, so I made it in the third allocation.

I bought the Monaco game off some fella who had a spare to do hima favour. The game didn't even sell out.

It's one of my biggest regrets in life, not going to that final. I didn't have the money to go but if i had a ticket i would've got it from somewhere.

Unfortunately the team Graeme Souness built.

92 FA cup final comes to mind.

Watched that again week before last for the first time since that day.

Wasn't a bad final. Molby's long range passing in that game was fucking unreal (obviously known for that, but you could count the 30-40 yard passes that didn't find their man on one hand).

That was my first final-squad that I remember well too. Had the squad photo on my wall for years.

probably for most people it would be the Liverpool team when you were 8-11 years old and you had all posters on the wall, for me 94/95 Fowler, McManaman, Redknapp

Yep - for me it's got to be

1981 - Clemence, Neal, Thompson, Hansen, Kennedy, Lee, Souness, McDermott, Kennedy, Dalglish,Johnson

That's my era as well that is. When the pitch was still more brown than green.

I lost all interest in the game during the 90s, developed interests which weren't compatible with sport of any kind. I also lived in places where football got no coverage so I have no memory or affinity with Souness's shambles and only caught the Houllier part of the Evans era.

The first time Robbie Fowler came to my attention he was snorting Everton's goalline. I thought he was a right twat who didn't belong in a Liverpool shirt. Sorry about that Robbie, in my defence I actually had consumed a lot of drugs. All the same, the team in the white suits are the team I least associate myself with.

I bought the Monaco game off some fella who had a spare to do hima favour. The game didn't even sell out.

It's one of my biggest regrets in life, not going to that final. I didn't have the money to go but if i had a ticket i would've got it from somewhere.

This is my biggest regret as well. This was the first season that I managed to go almost every week. I had moved to Lancaster from Cambridge area for uni and as I had been living down south with an American dad not into football I had only made a few trips to Anfield a season over previous years. Usually when a mates dad took us up for a pre season friendly and a cup game so I was very much an arm chair fan.

Being the closest I had ever been and now able to drive, I went to every match I could get a ticket for and more often than not this was European nights. I used to leave my last lecture of the day half way through to make it in time and more often than not went to the match alone.

The only european game I missed that season was Juventus because I was going out to America to see my family. Come the final I was offered a ticket in the second round allocation, I think and as my birthday is on the 22nd of May I was absolutely buzzing about being able to buy a ticket. I searched the internet for flights and they were all either ridiculously expensive or sold out. I eventually found one for £270ish so gave them a call but once on the phone was told the price had gone up to £1050.

Needless to say I was a broke student and by that time of year I had spent all of my loan and had no credit card so that was it I couldn't go. I have always felt gutted that I wasn't there but every time I think about I just stick the DVD in when I get home and I feel all better again.

The '78/79 team that thumped Spurs 7-0 and conceded only 16 goals all season. I was 10 years old at the time - a perfect age for cultivating idols. For me, that team will forever be the very pinnacle of footballing excellence.

Loved the Barnes, Beardsley '88 side too, but that earlier one is the one that I most identify with.