You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

You're confusing cost and worth. If you pay 12m for a box of shit, it doesn't mean the box of shit is worth 12m.

Although, I am selling a box of shit if anybody wants to pay me 12m.

If some qwerky French artdealer gave you £12m for it, then thats both what it has cost and what it is now worth. Obviously, he may struggle to convince his arty mates that he has made a shrewd investment, unless you shit in pretty patterns.

An asset, whether a player or bricks and mortar, is worth whatever someone else will pay for it.

I, for one, don't think that:

1. Robbie Keane was worth 20m

2. Poulsen was worth 4.5m

3. Konchesky was worth a big of chips

I'm you sure you agree with me on all of the above points, which would make your point quoted invalid.

If Kenny Dalglish wants him and we go and spend £20m on him then I will be happy with that. Kenny knows what he wants, and I believe we will go and buy the players in the positions he wants. There will of course be an element of negotiation, but I dont think we will come away from a deal for the sake of a couple of million quid, which have done on so many occasions in the past, thereby missing out on our top priority then spunking money on inadequate second choices.

This is one of the most important summers in the clubs history. In order to push on next season we must get our signings right and if Kenny believes that spending x amount on whomever, then I am happy with that.

I understand that, just like the carroll deal, I'm happy we got him but not many people can be happy with the price we paid. Not a chance the lad is worth 35million. It would be the same with dann, he's a decent player but paying over the odds for a player (which we have done numerous occasions) doesn't make good business sense.

Just one point we're all forgetting. Talk of bringing in players is fine but we've got to ship people out to reduce the wage bill.

Also why are people blaming Dann for Birmingham's relegation? He's been injured! Until he got injured they had a reputation over the previous 18 months for not conceding goals. Go figure.

I'm you sure you agree with me on all of the above points, which would make your point quoted invalid.

Did we pay that much for him? Christ, we were done.

Torres was worth £50m because that's what Chelsea paid for him, similarly, Suarez was worth £22m because that's what we paid for him. The point about idle speculation is exactly that, its idle speculation. An asset, whether a player or bricks and mortar, is worth whatever someone else will pay for it. Suggesting that someone is only worth £6m rather than £10m is adding nothing a thread that is already full of shit thanks to bull shit websites peddling shit to get more hits on their sites.

If Kenny Dalglish wants to sign Dann then whatever we pay for the player is what he is worth. Them's the rules.

Good post young man

Looking back on those deals you can now see that none of the three mentioned were worth what we paid for them. You can also look at Fernando Torres and Chelsea paying £50m. He went on and done fuck all for them since the transfer, but what if he went on and scored 20 goals since Jan and led them to domestic and european honours? Is he then worth the money they spent on him? Abromovich would certainly think so and I would agree.

The point is that it is very difficult to ascertain whether a purchase is worth the money at the time until you see the career of this person evolve with their new club. The Carroll example you use is perfect in that he and Suarez could lead the line for the next 5 years scoring 50+ per season between them and winning trophy after trophy, the £35m is then a piece of piss.

Shite mate, they just got relegated despite his formidable partnership with Roger Johnson, not good enough to dislodge any of our current cenrtre backs and deffo not worth £10 million. You could pick up better around europe for half the price. Someone said he would replace Skrtl and they are mad as a bag of snakes and cats and stuff.

I think Brum had one of the tightest defences in the league up to the point that Dann got injured.

So his "formidable patnership" with Roger Johnson being disrupted is probably the reason they got relegated.

Which makes most of what you wrote utter horseshit.

Just one point we're all forgetting. Talk of bringing in players is fine but we've got to ship people out to reduce the wage bill.

Also why are people blaming Dann for Birmingham's relegation? He's been injured! Until he got injured they had a reputation over the previous 18 months for not conceding goals. Go figure.

Because they know fuck all.

I think Brum had one of the tightest defences in the league up to the point that Dann got injured.

So his "formidable patnership" with Roger Johnson being disrupted is probably the reason they got relegated.

Which makes most of what you wrote utter horseshit.

The reason they got relegated is because they didn't score any fucking goals, which is one of the reasons they didn't concede many - 10 men behind the ball.

Torres was worth £50m because that's what Chelsea paid for him, similarly, Suarez was worth £22m because that's what we paid for him. The point about idle speculation is exactly that, its idle speculation. An asset, whether a player or bricks and mortar, is worth whatever someone else will pay for it. Suggesting that someone is only worth £6m rather than £10m is adding nothing a thread that is already full of shit thanks to bull shit websites peddling shit to get more hits on their sites.

If Kenny Dalglish wants to sign Dann then whatever we pay for the player is what he is worth. Them's the rules.

But that’s only if you are taking the very literal meaning of the term “what he’s worth”.

If Birmingham tell us Dann is going to cost £20m, then there is no way we should pay that, as he is simply “not worth it”. If we did pay it, then, for me, we did not pay what he was "worth", but well over what he was "worth".

We will have a set transfer budget. Kenny will want to spread that out as far as possible. If that means getting Dann for £6m instead of £10m and then been able to put a little extra on the Young deal for example to get him signed, then good.

I think what you are saying about whatever we pay, been what he is worth is not right in the real sense. For example, no way was Carroll worth £35m in the real sense of value for talent (in my opinion of course). In the long term he may prove to be worth £35m to us, but could also be shown to be vastly over priced.

Yes, whatever we pay for Dann is what he's worth in the literal sense of handing over the money, but if we may £30m for him, then we have not got value for our money, and if we immediately tried to sell him on, no one would pay that money, thus meaning his real worth was far below what we paid. For example, if we put Carroll up for sale not at £35m I'd be fairly sure we wouldn't get one single bite. Thus meaing we paid over his "worth"

I also now reckon that my post wasn't really "worth" it and will be ignored. Ah well.

This is my shopping list:

Gary Cahill

Stewart Downing

Eden Hazard

Lisandro Lopez

If we've got any money left over, go and sign Enrique too, but he isn't as high a priority as the others.

Ermmm. You not forgetting someone?

The reason they got relegated is because they didn't score any fucking goals, which is one of the reasons they didn't concede many - 10 men behind the ball.

I knew youd be along with your facetious spew.

The facts speak for themselves.

Dann injured, Brum plummet.

10 men behind the ball, not including Dann since christmas.

Got relegated.

Im not saying hes the best centre half on the planet, but he deserves serious considertion in my view.

This is my shopping list:

Gary Cahill

Stewart Downing

Eden Hazard

Lisandro Lopez

If we've got any money left over, go and sign Enrique too, but he isn't as high a priority as the others.

Hello Carradona

Gary Cahill- they are asking too much monies for him. City are offering Onuha and Boyata for him.

Stewart Downing- Possible but with Young already leaving, Villa might be reluctant to sell

Eden Hazard- Said he wants to stay at Lille for one more year which I think is fair enough

Lisandro Lopez- Do we need him?

Hello Carradona

Gary Cahill- they are asking too much monies for him. City are offering Onuha and Boyata for him.

Stewart Downing- Possible but with Young already leaving, Villa might be reluctant to sell

Eden Hazard- Said he wants to stay at Lille for one more year which I think is fair enough

Lisandro Lopez- Do we need him?

If he wants to go to City, then fuck him.

I can see both Young and Downing leaving Villa this summer. They'll use Albrighton as a winger next season, and sign another one.

Didn't know Hazard had said that, but I still don't believe him even if he has.

I personally think we need another striker, as I never want to see Ngog running around in a red shirt ever again. I've liked Lopez ever since we played Porto e good few seasons ago in the Champions League (2006/07 maybe?) and he was quality. He's been good ever since.