You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I'd be happy with that summer.

Dann's stock has risen though. How good actually is he? I have seen little of him.

He's decent enough. I don't think a centre half is the priority it once was tbh.

If we spend 10 million on him we're getting fleeced.

This time of year brings me so much joy. For instance, everyone seems to become experts on player valuations. Nah, Dann is not worth £10m, but I would pay £6m. What makes gingerhulk an expert in player valuations? Is he Code72's apprentice?

Always two there are. No more, no less.

He's decent enough. I don't think a centre half is the priority it once was tbh.

If we spend 10 million on him we're getting fleeced.

If one of Carra or Skrtel gets injured then it becomes a priority very very quickly. I have high hopes for Kelly in that position, but until he starts playing there we just won’t know.

For years we left ourselves short in the striker department and it cost us time and time again. We need to learn from this and ensure proper back up. It’s no different to the people saying we don’t need a good ‘keeper as back up because Pepe is never injured. A sure fire way of ensuring that Pepe gets injured for a few months if ever there was one.

It's not rocket science mate.

You can only compare said player to another player in the same position recently sold.. For example, United bought De Gea for 17 million pounds. Reina I reckon is a better GK, thus he should be worth more than 17 million pounds.

De Gea had a release clause in his contract for the price United paid, Pepe has a £20m release clause in his contract. So valuations are a little irrelevant with the example you have laid out.

Dann's stock has risen though. How good actually is he? I have seen little of him.

Birminghams league form after his injury hasnt done his reputation any harm.

This is excellent news if true.

Add Parker in the middle, a disillusioned Adam Johnson for either wing, and then start on johnny foreigners.

Lipsmackin!:yes:

Mata seems the more likely to come from the three i mentoned but Marin has also that he would love to come to us so I am not counting him out just yet.

Aguero would ask too much wedge and I will not be suprised if he does go to Madrid.

More to home on Downing, he will improve us, yes he would. Can he improve anymore than what he is right now?? At 26 he is still in his prime but i dont think he will improve drastically over the next 2 years.

With him you see what you get now in the present and in the future.

Young on the other hand is still a young exciting player. Paying that little bit extra for him will be worth it and thats the difference.

Mata seems the more likely to come from the three i mentoned but Marin has also that he would love to come to us so I am not counting him out just yet.

Aguero would ask too much wedge and I will not be suprised if he does go to Madrid.

More to home on Downing, he will improve us, yes he would. Can he improve anymore than what he is right now?? At 26 he is still in his prime but i dont think he will improve drastically over the next 2 years.

With him you see what you get now in the present and in the future.

Young on the other hand is still a young exciting player. Paying that little bit extra for him will be worth it and thats the difference.

Young is only a year younger than Downing, I'm not sure that he's much faster and he's not a natural left footer either (which is something we lack). I also suspect that he's off to the mancs.

I`m sorry, but that is about as far from the truth you can get.

Even Xabi Alonso could have signed Lucas and I would not have rated him anymore because of it.

Players who try their best does not really do it for me, especially when I think their best is not good enough to get to the level I want us to reach.

There are loads of players at the club I dont rate, not one of them is because who signed them or not though.

Brasilian coaches in dispute with Norwegian coaches about a brasilian players ability in comparison to an English player who cannot even get into a poor England team crying out for a defensive midfeilder who is a lot more injury prone than Lucas. Think you'll have to do better than that to convince me.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Young is only a year younger than Downing, I'm not sure that he's much faster and he's not a natural left footer either (which is something we lack). I also suspect that he's off to the mancs.

Young is one of the fastest players around. He is much faster than Downing. If I had to choose out of the two, I'd chose Young. Still plenty of players I'd rather have that either of them.

Depends from which point you look at it really...

Young can take on defenders and will probably be our fastest player on the pitch should he sign for us whilst Downing is slower but has better vision.

The work rate is in Downings favour but Young has that burst of pace that leaves defenders wanting, which i might add is something that we have sorely lacked.

Enlighten me then. Where does the £6m valuation from Dann come from? What players has he been compared to to arrive at this valuation? Does this new comparison method make the supply and demand principle irrelevant?

I wouldn't say irrelevant, it would have been embedded into the valuation of the player used as a reference.

I don't know where the 6m valuation came from, I can't exactly read his mind.. It's a bit silly to complain about posters in a footy forum guesstimating player's value where I'm sure all of us have done it before.

Do you think Suarez was worth the 22 million we paid for him? Do you think Torres was worth the 50 million that Chelsea paid for him? etc etc

No, it's probably not rocket science but it's a little more complicated than what you are making out.

Among other things, age, length of contract, buyer's need to buy, seller's need to sell, form, injury history, all play a part in making up a fee]

Everyone knows Utd need a 'keeper. Logically, they should be held to a king's ransom to get one.

For the purpose of forum discussions I think incorporating more than two of those variables would be redundant and time wasting..

According to wikipedia Scott Dann has signed for us on a five year deal. Okay, admit it now, which one of you was it?

Seriously though, he's not necessarily 2nd rate. 24 isn't old for a centre-back and he's been injured the last few months - which would actually be my biggest concern. If we can get a decent fee, which given Birmingham's predicament we should, then go for it. If we're sorting those positions for peanuts then that'll be more money to spend on maybe 1 or 2 big ones.

The big question is whether those big names would come to us at the moment given the absence of the CL.

I think you are probably right, but there are some contradictions in their transfer policy, lets be honest Arry's two big signings Keane and Defoe can't get in the team!

Little or no criticism of him! Would be interesting to see who they do sign, without selling anyone.

Didn't he sign Bentley as well?

Shite mate, they just got relegated despite his formidable partnership with Roger Johnson, not good enough to dislodge any of our current cenrtre backs and deffo not worth £10 million. You could pick up better around europe for half the price. Someone said he would replace Skrtl and they are mad as a bag of snakes and cats and stuff.

This time of year brings me so much joy. For instance, everyone seems to become experts on player valuations. Nah, Dann is not worth £10m, but I would pay £6m. What makes gingerhulk an expert in player valuations? Is he Code72's apprentice?

Who said i was an expert? In my opinion paying anything over 6million for a cb who will spend most of his time on the bench would be a waste of funds. Ye we do need a cb but there are more important positions we need to fill before we go spunking silly money on a cb, who more then likely wont start more than 10 prem games next season.

Would you be willing to pay the reported 10 mill on Dann?

I wouldn't say irrelevant, it would have been embedded into the valuation of the player used as a reference.

I don't know where the 6m valuation came from, I can't exactly read his mind.. It's a bit silly to complain about posters in a footy forum guesstimating player's value where I'm sure all of us have done it before.

Do you think Suarez was worth the 22 million we paid for him? Do you think Torres was worth the 50 million that Chelsea paid for him? etc etc

Torres was worth £50m because that's what Chelsea paid for him, similarly, Suarez was worth £22m because that's what we paid for him. The point about idle speculation is exactly that, its idle speculation. An asset, whether a player or bricks and mortar, is worth whatever someone else will pay for it. Suggesting that someone is only worth £6m rather than £10m is adding nothing a thread that is already full of shit thanks to bull shit websites peddling shit to get more hits on their sites.

If Kenny Dalglish wants to sign Dann then whatever we pay for the player is what he is worth. Them's the rules.

Torres was worth £50m because that's what Chelsea paid for him, similarly, Suarez was worth £22m because that's what we paid for him. The point about idle speculation is exactly that, its idle speculation. An asset, whether a player or bricks and mortar, is worth whatever someone else will pay for it. Suggesting that someone is only worth £6m rather than £10m is adding nothing a thread that is already full of shit thanks to bull shit websites peddling shit to get more hits on their sites.

If Kenny Dalglish wants to sign Dann then whatever we pay for the player is what he is worth. Them's the rules.

But it may be Commolli and not Dalglish.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You're confusing cost and worth. If you pay 12m for a box of shit, it doesn't mean the box of shit is worth 12m.

Although, I am selling a box of shit if anybody wants to pay me 12m.

Who said i was an expert? In my opinion paying anything over 6million for a cb who will spend most of his time on the bench would be a waste of funds. Ye we do need a cb but there are more important positions we need to fill before we go spunking silly money on a cb, who more then likely wont start more than 10 prem games next season.

Would you be willing to pay the reported 10 mill on Dann?

If Kenny Dalglish wants him and we go and spend £20m on him then I will be happy with that. Kenny knows what he wants, and I believe we will go and buy the players in the positions he wants. There will of course be an element of negotiation, but I dont think we will come away from a deal for the sake of a couple of million quid, which have done on so many occasions in the past, thereby missing out on our top priority then spunking money on inadequate second choices.

This is one of the most important summers in the clubs history. In order to push on next season we must get our signings right and if Kenny believes that spending x amount on whomever, then I am happy with that.