You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

That's bollocks. He was great at Newcastle and decent for us last season when he got decent service.

He's not in form but then again, the service he's had (which he needs) has been poor this season.

I think somewhere in here lies the problem and that is I don't think we're ever going to play in a way that suits the lad.

Carrol is a just a big target man and pumping balls in for a big lad up front is just not what were about. He's just not a Liverpool player, pure and simple.

You can support him, cajole him, encourage him, hug him, bollock him but at the end of the day you just can't send your ducks to eagle school and expect them to fly.

We need to move this lad on ASAP for his sake and for ours.

He stands still inside the box and usually jumps from a standing position when the ball comes in the air, his movement and awareness is non existant inside the box and his movement reminds nothing of a PL first striker.

That's my main concern with him, sometimes the service to him hasn't been good, but just as often it's been excellent, and he's either been on his heels, or jogging out of the box.

I'm hopeful that it's just his head not being right, because I trust Kenny to sort him out. I'm sure he'll turn out alright, but I don't think he should be starting until he starts showing he deserves it through some strong showings off the bench.

Any disappointment stemming from Carroll is tempered by the joy Suarez brings, right? It's also a long season and AC has some good years ahead of him. His form is a big concern but things can change.

problem is he gives the impression he's a touch precious mentally. He may be a hard man down pub but i get a strange feeling he wont react well to getting dropped at all. He just doesnt seem like a fighter in the mental sense, otherwise, despite being a clumsy tattie, he'd be showing good signs so far this season. If your heart doesnt seem to be in it before you are dropped, then god help you when you are actually dropped. Someone like luis oozes determination and self belief. If you drop short-stop he'll think about it and come back even more determined. Andy doesnt exude that kinda feeling from the spectator position.

I really don't see the point in obsessing over the fees as Abs does so often.

My problem with Carroll is not his fee, that doesn't even come into it, it just doesn't matter and speculating on what other players we could have signed for that money is pointless as we were desperately looking for anyone to come in as a Torres replacement and circumstances dictated Carroll was the only option, it's only under those circumstances that we would ever have signed Carroll for anywhere near £35M

Bollocks. We bid for Llorente and Comolli confirmed Carroll was our main summer target.

We should have been looking at Falcao and Cavani but Kenny's / Damian's obsession with a target man created this mess.

it appears that it was a massive fuck up. I mean even if he hits form, its hard to see this player being worth even 15 mill, though i hope im wrong. If he can play like a 15/20 mill player we will have done ok-ish given the circumstances, even if he was over priced. But he looks like hell have to play out his skin and beyond his talent to do that, at this point i add. He just doesnt ever strike you as a player that could do that. Look at torres. Yes he's been shit for chelsea but people are laughing at that miss the other day. He still looks like he is a good player but out of form. Andy just looks like a decidely average player, out of form and thats being kind.

He looks like the classic championship side target man to me. Not quite aware or mobile enough for the Premiership. He went through a purple patch playing in a newly promoted championship side last season setup to play to his strengths and thats the problem. Were we just witnessing a rather limited striker playing out of his skin because of the euphoria of playing in the Premiership for the first time?

He ultimately had unbelievably limited top flight experience (18 games) to really justify offering £35 million for. Doesn't mean he won't ultimately come good, but for me the signs so far are not too promising both in terms of his ability and our willingness to adapt our game to play to his strengths.

Edited by clangers

He has done fuck all, I`m not saying anything about what he will do in the future or not, but so far he looks so far out of his depth its untrue.

I`ve watched him closely several times this season and I`ve also watched a training session close up and Carroll has been abysmal every time.

He stands still inside the box and usually jumps from a standing position when the ball comes in the air, his movement and awareness is non existant inside the box and his movement reminds nothing of a PL first striker.

At present he hardly deserves a place on the bench let alone in the starting line up, the only thing that keeps him there is his price tag.

In the box he looks more like a PL center back than a striker. Scarily so.

He looks like one of those players who have learnt by rote a few choreographed moves (peel off to the back post, set pieces, etc) and who is now being asked to make decisions which require an ability to read the game and space that he's just not been equipped to do.

It's a very big step up, the kind of step Babel, Dossena and Lucas were asked to make and like them he will either fail or it will take a long time IMO.

The question is, while he is re-learning how to play football, how do we get some value out of him. It will take some skillful man management and interesting tactical juggling for him to be anything other than a boat anchor.

for me the signs so far are not too promising both in terms of his ability and our willingness to adapt our game to play to his strengths.

This is a very good point. Andy may end up being a superb player in the right team, at the right club. A stoke would love him. But i dont want us to play to his strengths. Jesus, its an awful thought. When we had rushie he was a poacher not a cart horse. We arent everton with duncan fergiecunt. I never really wan us to play that way and when we signed him, even though i knew little of him, i didnt like the idea of a big man up front. I kept thinking positively about drogba and then i thought 'shit' i dont want us to play like those cunts. So if he succeeds its cos we changed to suite him and many will be unhappy, me included. If we dont do that he's fucked and we will all be pissed off. This smacks of a medium term fuckup situ. A lose lose.

"I think people are obsessed with Andy Carroll," said Liverpool's manager before tacitly acknowledging the 22-year-old England striker remains a work in progress. "I'm an old guy and I'm still learning; I don't understand the paranoia with Andy. People talk about him like they know him. They don't know him. They talk about his lifestyle … what lifestyle? Everybody is obsessed with Andy Carroll."

He has started very slowly. At the moment he is not worth a place in the starting eleven, so it's up to the player to force his way in. He is a young lad who could b a very good player if he works hard on his game. The price we paid seems ridiculous, but I suppose there were extenuating circumstances around the whole deal.

If he can find some form he could be a good focal point for the attack, but ideally I see us playing pass and move, quick interchanges, and lots of movement up front, so I don't see how Carroll's style, even if on form, fits the best of this team.

It's a conundrum for Kenny to solve, but it is still early days.

He has done fuck all, I`m not saying anything about what he will do in the future or not, but so far he looks so far out of his depth its untrue.

I`ve watched him closely several times this season and I`ve also watched a training session close up and Carroll has been abysmal every time.

At present he hardly deserves a place on the bench let alone in the starting line up, the only thing that keeps him there is his price tag.

I think I know the one you're on about and I remember shaking with rage then turning it off.

It was a disgrace.

Burns my head out you know, I even heard people last season getting on the lads case after a few games, probably because they had made there minds up on him before he arrived.

He looked handy last year before we signed him then got a couple of injuries and joined us. There has been the odd flash but for the most part he has been shite but the speed in which some of our fans are ready to cut and run is staggering, he is 22 not 30. If Kenny believes the lad needs time then that's what we should give him.

I've got absolutely no doubt that he will get fuck all in terms of patience, same goes for Henderson but to be honest I think he has been played far too much, and he is back in again tomorrow.

a good six month.s with a tin pot club in the top flight in like charlie adam they will not improve the starting eleven i seen more in 45min from bellamy than i have from carroll since he has been here. 35 million serious what the fuck where they thinking we should have just said when we sold torres that we where going to wait till the summer to find a top replacment. instead of this panic buy that we where in our eye,s forced in to in case the fan.s reacted that the owners where not going to invest the money hence the reason for buying carroll it has a big bollck up written all over it.

at 222 years old, though young, you should be able to display more than he does. How much fucking time do you want. If he was 17 , id agree. He's not and we are able to judge a player on that basis. Generally, at 22 you can see what i player has the potential to do, aka skills, movement, scoring etc. Im not saying he hyas to be the finsihed article but some postive signs would be welcomed. AT ths point he isnt showing much. Dont blame pople for thinking so and then tyarring them as short term thinkers cos it suits your way of thinking. If you need a player to be 26 before you jusdge them then watch another sport or something cos you obviously know jhack about footie. Sorry but you asked for that. Its all part of this new devide. Follow kenny blindly or question him too much. Im neither. I love the guy but im still gonna judge waht i see. I see a player out of his depth and little sigh SO FAR of that changing. If it does change ill be made up. But as of today, it hasnt. Thats it.

a good six month.s with a tin pot club in the top flight in like charlie adam they will not improve the starting eleven i seen more in 45min from bellamy than i have from carroll since he has been here. 35 million serious what the fuck where they thinking we should have just said when we sold torres that we where going to wait till the summer to find a top replacment. instead of this panic buy that we where in our eye,s forced in to in case the fan.s reacted that the owners where not going to invest the money hence the reason for buying carroll it has a big bollck up written all over it.

I'm sorry I don't speak spastic. Would you repeat that in English pour favour?