You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mata over Downing?

If so, that isn't a discussion from an individual stand point but without full knowledge of everything including systems etc we are looking to play and long term targets it certainly something that people can overally argue about.

Waiting until the summer to better use the Torres money.

I can almost forgive the worst signing in footballing history (Andy Carroll) and put it down to a moment of madness and a panic buy. The Downing signing takes the biscuit however. We spent months chasing this guy, we had years of Premiership evidence to make a decision with and we went and spunked £20M on him. That signing is just madness. Irresponsible, wasteful and a negligent use of this club's resources.

Combined with the Carroll signing, someone needs to be held accountable. Bin off Commolli to save Kenny's face but don't let Kenny near the cheque book again.

The point I'm making is we are told minimal parts of the story and piece it together ourselves.

We no doubt looked at the possibilty of signing Mata. Mata probably knew this and was, seemingly, positive about it. The rest of it though, whether we'd have picked Mata or Downing or whether Mata would've picked us or Chelsea is complete guesswork.

Obviously you are never going to know the full story behind this stuff, but I think its fair enough to say that judging by most articles from people who seem "in the know" in regards to Liverpool and Spanish players were all saying that Mata would go to Liverpool.

And the point over Mata is that Chelsea didn't come in for him until later on in the window, when we could've had the deal sewn up by then.

Total piss artist.

I want to swing him round by his ponytail and hurl him facefirst through the transfer window

He plays like Robbie Huth with less pride and self respect than Niell Ruddock, less beanpole than Niall Quinn hes got more neck than Harry Redknapp in a sauna and thicker skin than Ian Dowies face, watching him play football is like hearing jim davidson crack another joke.

Just as well he sticks to what he is good at beating women up, drinking and being a chav.

Oh.

He will never be quick but neither was van nistlerooy or batistuta, problem is to be that good, you need to practice. Hard.

I reckon John Aldridge would have been more effective thus far, even at his age now.

Melt this horse down for some glue I say, its not that he doesnt have the ability but he doesnt have the desire. Weve tried the carrot and the whip now its time for the bolt gun press it in the middle of his forehead. Its over.

Bring back Ngog, pongolle, camara, reidle, mellor anf of them were better.

Total piss artist.

I want to swing him round by his ponytail and hurl him facefirst through the transfer window

He plays like Robbie Huth with less pride and self respect than Niell Ruddock, less beanpole than Niall Quinn hes got more neck than Harry Redknapp in a sauna and thicker skin than Ian Dowies face, watching him play football is like hearing jim davidson crack another joke.

Just as well he sticks to what he is good at beating women up, drinking and being a chav.

Oh.

He will never be quick but neither was van nistlerooy or batistuta, problem is to be that good, you need to practice. Hard.

I reckon John Aldridge would have been more effective thus far, even at his age now.

Melt this horse down for some glue I say, its not that he doesnt have the ability but he doesnt have the desire. Weve tried the carrot and the whip now its time for the bolt gun press it in the middle of his forehead. Its over.

I'm fucking pissing myself laughing here after reading that. Fucking brilliant lol

Total piss artist.

Oh.

hes lacking confidence and a run of games. jesus wept

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Do you think you'd be watching him run around Anfield if say chelshit, united or arsenal had of been in for him?

Fucking wise up.

How the fuck would you know? You're pretending you know things you don't, and it's not the first time in this thread.

Guest San Don
How the fuck would you know? You're pretending you know things you don't, and it's not the first time in this thread.

On the contrary. But dont let yourself being wrong again stop you, old chum :whatever:

Guest Numero Veinticinco
On the contrary. But dont let yourself being wrong again stop you, old chum :whatever:

So Suarez has told you he'd have joined another club if they'd been in for him?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Which part of 'do you think........' is a definitive?

The 'fucking wise up' part of 'do you think' indicates that it wasn't a straight question and that you know otherwise. What you're doing is making baseless assumptions. Same as when you were talking about Mata earlier in the thread.

Guest San Don
The 'fucking wise up' part of 'do you think' indicates that it wasn't a straight question and that you know otherwise. What you're doing is making baseless assumptions. Same as when you were talking about Mata earlier in the thread.

Oh dear, you dont do very well do you?

Tell you what, if you take posts in isolation you'll tend to get an insular view.

The debate was about 'we could sign this or that player' ie Mata & soldado for the money we paid for Carroll and Downing (I think). The point i was making was those type of players were unlikely to sign for us at the beginning of the season as they would likely be wanting to join a club in the CL.

Now then do fuck off :whatever:

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Oh dear, you dont do very well do you?

Tell you what, if you take posts in isolation you'll tend to get an insular view.

The debate was about 'we could sign this or that player' ie Mata & soldado for the money we paid for Carroll and Downing (I think). The point i was making was those type of players were unlikely to sign for us at the beginning of the season as they would likely be wanting to join a club in the CL.

Now then do fuck off :whatever:

You seem totally unable to comprehend the point; I suspect you're not very bright. Ah well, you're in good company. Anyway, no, I won't fuck off. However, I will go to bed and come back to make fun of your next idiotic response. Sleep tight, brave soldier.

Total piss artist.

Oh.

*** doffs cap ***

Genius

Guest San Don
You seem totally unable to comprehend the point; I suspect you're not very bright. Ah well, you're in good company. Anyway, no, I won't fuck off. However, I will go to bed and come back to make fun of your next idiotic response. Sleep tight, brave soldier.

LOL! Yes, go on then, get to bed now.

Sleep tight wee man.

• 7 years later...

I liked him because he fit the big, dumb, old school English centre forward stereotype so well. And I think he had some talent. Good left foot and unstoppable in the air which were useful but he doesn't seem like he had the drive to use those gifts correctly. The constant injuries are kind of a red flag on that end.

Probably would've fared better in the 90's when everyone was playing 4-4-2 and were alcoholics. He would've fit in great in that era.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Been released by West Ham. What a steaming pile of shit this lad was, anyone who says he had potential or once looked promising is getting a Luger to the temple. Pony tail on legs, nothing more. 

Scored the winner against the shite in the semi-final. For that alone he is sound in my eyes. 

I reckon he might have done more damage if he played more than 3 and a half games a season. 

• Upvote 2