You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got in.

Southend brought plenty of fans, fair play to them but Southend really, really where shite.

I know we where good, and I'm taking nothing away from Sterling who was quite frankly fenomenal, but they where fucking awful and the gulf in class was there to see.

We have a fantastic philosophy and we look comfortable playing it

Thankfully Kenny will know that these players will learn most from being talked through a first team game by first team players - rather than playing in a reserve team re-branded for the night as the first team. Those games are a waste of time (and we nearly always lose the damned game). Blood a couple at the right time, in a team with the likes of Gerrard and Carra, and they'll make huge advances.

I honestly can't remember which of Sterlings goals were the good ones, I kind of lost enthusiasm after the 4th goal and stopped jumping up when we scored.

Suso had quite a quiet game to be honest, I got a mate to come along because I wouldn't stop banging on about him and Sterling after the Palace game, but not suprised to see Suso subbed. Sterling took the spotlight right off him.

I felt Southend's tactics from the start were to double up on Suso. They gave him no room, which actually gave Sterling a lot more room on the other flank.

Agreed, Suso was anonymous for the most part and we still won 9-0.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind that.

And I'm sure it'll be Sterling who gets the attention next time, which will leave a bit more room for Suso and hopefully Ngoo.

Was a good game. Great to see the youngsters playing pass and move. Thought our ball retention was excellent and when we lost it the desire to get it back was very impressive.

Sterling was obviously immense. Their left back just couldn't live with him. He was a bit quieter from the right but still managed to get a goal there, which says everything really.

Apart from the obvious stand out candidates, I thought one of the lads in the centre (think his name was Craig Rodden?) was excellent, really composed on the ball and winning challenges all over the shop. Sama at the back was good too, couple of crossed wires with the keeper but took no chances which is good to see.

Haven't seen all that much of the youngsters but I think I'll try to follow them for the rest of the tournament. Absolutely loads of promise in the side which makes a change from years past.

Their number 4 was a right cunt. He went through both Sterling and Coady. I was hoping someone would take the snide twat out.

Sterling and Coady were the stand out performers for me. Sama and Flanagan were very solid at the back too.

And I'm reading a bit on here about how Adam Morgan isn't good enough and might lack the ability that Suso and Sterling have. I'll tell you what, Morgan worked his socks off tonight, had some nice touches, was unlucky with his missed header, but made up for it with his goal. He also won the penalty. I thought he played well and, personally, I was glad to see him start the game.

Very good performance and well worth the £4.

Coady.

Interesting. When the Liverpool XI beat League One outfit Oldham Athletic 3-0 to win the Lancashire Senior Cup in the summer last year, Andre Wisdom was the captain and I think Coady played in CD alongside him. I don't know who the captain was when they won another cup soon after.

It's encouraging that we seem to have leaders in Coady, Wisdom and Flanagan.

Was a good game. Great to see the youngsters playing pass and move. Thought our ball retention was excellent and when we lost it the desire to get it back was very impressive.

Sterling was obviously immense. Their left back just couldn't live with him. He was a bit quieter from the right but still managed to get a goal there, which says everything really.

Apart from the obvious stand out candidates, I thought one of the lads in the centre (think his name was Craig Rodden?) was excellent, really composed on the ball and winning challenges all over the shop. Sama at the back was good too, couple of crossed wires with the keeper but took no chances which is good to see.

Haven't seen all that much of the youngsters but I think I'll try to follow them for the rest of the tournament. Absolutely loads of promise in the side which makes a change from years past.

Roddan always impresses me. He does a tidy job in there, breaking up, and linking up, play.

Being a Southend boy I just had a quick look at their forums.

Apparently Kenny paid for the Southend fans tickets last night.

Top gesture.

Just had a look on shrimperzone and they were taking it in very good spirits. At 7-0 one of them said "I have to be honest, right now, I'd settle for a draw"