You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amateur football in Liverpool .

Walton Park

Something that winds me up a lot is the fact that the money the F.A receive and the state of both pitches and the changing facilities in Liverpool in particular is disgusting.

Having played around the country in National Cups etc for years, some of the facilities are excellent in some of the smaller areas.

The North East have the same problem.

Both areas have a massive amateur set up with dozens of leagues in and the facilities in both areas are abysmal.

You pay hundreds in league fees and pitch fees and the some of the ceilings in the changies are falling through when it rains.

With the councils being hit with cuts, surely the F.A can do something or is this wishful thinking.

After all they do have a 'grassrots' section on their website.

I agree . Arrowe park in Wirral must be responsible for hundreds of injuries over the years

You have all ages palying on piches with massive slopes on them and often no lights in the changing rooms .

Good job the hospitals right next door! I played a game there once that ended with two broken legs.

I've spent the last few years in France and played a bit whilst there. The facilities there are out of this world. Pitches, changing facilities are first class compared to what we get here.

Good job the hospitals right next door! I played a game there once that ended with two broken legs.

I've spent the last few years in France and played a bit whilst there. The facilities there are out of this world. Pitches, changing facilities are first class compared to what we get here.

Funny you should say that, i remember Wenger saying the French people simply wouldn't tolerate our facilities.

Funny you should say that, i remember Wenger saying the French people simply wouldn't tolerate our facilities.

I lived in a small village near Toulouse, population 4500. The set up they had was a main pitch with a decent sized stand, and also an outer pitch with permanent barriers around. The pitches themselves were like bowling greens all year round, and every small village around the area had a similar set up.

I've played West Cheshire standard for near on twenty years now and the only place I've played that came close was Vauxhalls, yet this was just a small town set up, with a main team, youth team, and a vets team. And the FA wonder why Amateur Football numbers are declining in the UK.

The thing that make me mad is that the County FA is now based in Walton Park and have built a superb facility LOTTERY FUNDED.

Can you try and hire the pich for National Cup games. CAN YOU FUCK. Only if you know someone or can pull a few strings with cronies who are involved in the County FA

I have played in about 5 or 6 finals there any the piches are superb. But can anyone hire it for a game. Dont even bother.

There should be a lot more of these places around the city.

Considering that the amateur football scene in Liverpool is one the biggest in the country, the standard of facilities is shite and it always has been.

As Walton Park said, the facilities at Walton Park are great but they're no good if people cant use them because there's not enough around the city to go around.

Something that winds me up a lot is the fact that the money the F.A receive and the state of both pitches and the changing facilities in Liverpool in particular is disgusting.

Having played around the country in National Cups etc for years, some of the facilities are excellent in some of the smaller areas.

The North East have the same problem.

Both areas have a massive amateur set up with dozens of leagues in and the facilities in both areas are abysmal.

You pay hundreds in league fees and pitch fees and the some of the ceilings in the changies are falling through when it rains.

With the councils being hit with cuts, surely the F.A can do something or is this wishful thinking.

After all they do have a 'grassrots' section on their website.

What sides did you play for in the National Cup?

Yeah top of scotty. We had a decent side. Got to 3 or 4 Ken Gillies cup finals and the Premier cup final but lost the lot of them. We changed our name to the Taxi Club and I thinkg we finshed 2nd one year in the Premier division.

Crocky Legion got to the National Cup final the year I was playing. Never played in the final I was only 19 and they drafted in some cracking players from all round the place so never got a look in,all playing in the Welsh league for teams like Caernarfon Town or Knowsley United. Joey Bartons arl fella played for us. I think it was 1995.

Young Highdale in the youth team, his dad played for us as well. He was a great player.

The standard on a Sunday has gone down the nick I think. .

Yeah top of scotty. We had a decent side. Got to 3 or 4 Ken Gillies cup finals and the Premier cup final but lost the lot of them. We changed our name to the Taxi Club and I thinkg we finshed 2nd one year in the Premier division.

Crocky Legion got to the National Cup final the year I was playing. Never played in the final I was only 19 and they drafted in some cracking players from all round the place so never got a look in,all playing in the Welsh league for teams like Caernarfon Town or Knowsley United. Joey Bartons arl fella played for us. I think it was 1995.

Young Highdale in the youth team, his dad played for us as well. He was a great player.

The standard on a Sunday has gone down the nick I think. .

Sunday football started to decline with the arrival of the Rave scene back in the late 80's.

With the partying all night culture we have now,it's hard to get a side up on a Sunday morning,I remember when the Liverpool Sunday had 12 Divisions plus a Youth league,now the struggle to have 4.

Back in the day when I used to make brief substitute appearances on Buckley Hill, I can only agree with Walton Red's thoughts on the state of the pitches in Liverpool.

It's a disgrace, and no doubt contributed to my retirement from Sunday League football at the age of 16.

In all seriousness though, me and my mates set up a Sunday League side, The night before the a game on Buckley Hill, I jumped up for the ball and tore my calf. Thinking I was okay, I then turned up, ran for a bit and made things worse.

My highlight in Sunday League was getting the ball on the right hand sides switching inside and letting rip with a shot that come from the jaws of oblivion itself which crashed into the back of the net from 25 yards out.

I never played again.