You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Remembrance Day

Malarkey

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I've bought a poppy this year, the further we get from active conflicts like Iraq and Afghanitsan the less it feels like it's being seen as some sort of "with us or against us" bollocks. 

I wasn't gonna bother until I saw some old bloke selling them and I sort of thought 'fuck it, if it makes someone of his generation think people give a shit then I'm happy to do it'.

It's sad that it's been hijacked, especially by human effluent like Farage and Johnson who're on the Russisn payroll, or Stone Island scumbags, but that's not the fault of that old man.

The way it has been hijacked and been used a as a symbol by the cunts you mention makes me now happy to drop a quid in the old mans tin so to speak - but not actually wear it.

It's sad i feel like that but it is how i feel - and yeah i realise that is letting them win, but i can't wear it knowing how it is has been hijacked - it feels like i'm supporting that hijacking by doing so.

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I've bought a poppy this year, the further we get from active conflicts like Iraq and Afghanitsan the less it feels like it's being seen as some sort of "with us or against us" bollocks. 

I wasn't gonna bother until I saw some old bloke selling them and I sort of thought 'fuck it, if it makes someone of his generation think people give a shit then I'm happy to do it'.

It's sad that it's been hijacked, especially by human effluent like Farage and Johnson who're on the Russisn payroll, or Stone Island scumbags, but that's not the fault of that old man.

My dad fought in WW2 in North africa and Italy and luckily came home.he died when I was seven,so I always wear a poppy in remembrance of him and those who didn't come back

393494_10150340832776664_586831663_7683285_1255175580_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15

17 hours ago, halewood pete said:

My dad fought in WW2 in North africa and Italy and luckily came home.he died when I was seven,so I always wear a poppy in remembrance of him and those who didn't come back

393494_10150340832776664_586831663_7683285_1255175580_n.jpg

Was in part of the 8th Army Pete , my Uncle Joe served with them and apparently was mentioned in dispatches but I've never been able to find out anything about it .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Freaks me out sometimes to think that when I was growing up in the early 80s there would have still been WWII veterans in the workforce. Imagine that. Bus drivers, accountants, teachers who'd been through that shit. 

When I joined a Bank in 1978, the Head Cashier had been recruited from the RAF years before and had flown missions in WW2. He had also been used as a stunt pilot in the Dambusters movie and used to talk about Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave as if they were his bezzies and likely to call in at any minute to take him over to the Black Bull.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Freaks me out sometimes to think that when I was growing up in the early 80s there would have still been WWII veterans in the workforce. Imagine that. Bus drivers, accountants, teachers who'd been through that shit. 

I met Ian Fraser when I was a kid in the 80s.

Won the VC for sinking a Japanese heavy cruiser in Singapore harbour near the end of the war using a midget sub. 

There’s part of New Brighton prom named after him. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2008/sep/11/secondworldwar.military

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

I met Ian Fraser when I was a kid in the 80s.

Won the VC for sinking a Japanese heavy cruiser in Singapore harbour near the end of the war using a midget sub. 

There’s part of New Brighton prom named after him. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2008/sep/11/secondworldwar.military

My granddad was too young to see any fighting but he was in the occupation army at aged 17 (fucking 17) in Italy and Austria but he was still working for British Rail at this point when I knew him as a kid and there were fellas on the trains/guards slightly older than him who'd seen combat. Just a different generation. 

My granddad still had a camera he'd bought in Italy (I've still got it in the loft) and he used to talk about Austria now and again, said it was the most beautiful place he'd ever been.  

• Upvote 1

Much Like others in the thread; I am more than happy to donate to worthy causes if I have spare change in my pocket. 

But I wont wear the rubbery/plastic bracelets to say I donated to Bowel Cancer etc and therefore I dont wear poppies. For me the poppy no longer symbolises what it was meant to represent. It now represents everything the poppy was meant to stand against and for that reason I am out. 

• Upvote 4

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/07/police-guard-rochdale-cenotaph-after-graffiti-and-damage-to-wreaths-reported

Police guard Rochdale cenotaph after graffiti and damage to wreaths reported

Two teenagers being charged with public nuisance offences and in another incident ‘Free Palestine’ has been sprayed on monument

Police officers are guarding Rochdale’s cenotaph after two incidents at the war memorial, Greater Manchester police (GMP) has said.

Police community support officers have been stationed by the cenotaph, which the force said is “currently a crime scene”.

Two teenagers, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, are being charged with intentionally or recklessly causing public nuisance following an incident on Monday.

Rochdale borough council said on X, formerly Twitter, that it “removed and replaced a number of damaged poppy wreaths” after the incident.

The council also referenced a second incident at the cenotaph, which it said occurred on Tuesday afternoon and involved graffiti being sprayed on the war memorial. The local authority described the incident as “totally unacceptable”.

The response to the second incident, which was reported shortly after 4pm on Tuesday, is under way, police said. They did not give any further details but social media posts showed “Free Palestine” sprayed on the monument.

cenotaph.jpg

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Arniepie said:

stephen christopher yaxxley lennon calling to arms all the fat carling drinking scruffs to defend the cenotaph on sat.

Presumable there will be widespread calls for that to be banned?

"You're country needs you"

What a cunt. What an absolute fucking cunt.

It is exactly that sort of hijacking of the whole thing around rememrance day/ the poppy appeal etc that desperately needs breaking, but that sadly the tories love to use and stir.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, an tha said:

It is exactly that sort of hijacking of the whole thing around rememrance day/ the poppy appeal etc that desperately needs breaking, but that sadly the tories love to use and stir.

Yeah, but calling for a ceasefire on the anniversary of history's most famous ceasefire is "disrespectful" and "provocative".

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Strontium said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/07/police-guard-rochdale-cenotaph-after-graffiti-and-damage-to-wreaths-reported

Police guard Rochdale cenotaph after graffiti and damage to wreaths reported

Two teenagers being charged with public nuisance offences and in another incident ‘Free Palestine’ has been sprayed on monument

Police officers are guarding Rochdale’s cenotaph after two incidents at the war memorial, Greater Manchester police (GMP) has said.

Police community support officers have been stationed by the cenotaph, which the force said is “currently a crime scene”.

Two teenagers, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, are being charged with intentionally or recklessly causing public nuisance following an incident on Monday.

Rochdale borough council said on X, formerly Twitter, that it “removed and replaced a number of damaged poppy wreaths” after the incident.

The council also referenced a second incident at the cenotaph, which it said occurred on Tuesday afternoon and involved graffiti being sprayed on the war memorial. The local authority described the incident as “totally unacceptable”.

The response to the second incident, which was reported shortly after 4pm on Tuesday, is under way, police said. They did not give any further details but social media posts showed “Free Palestine” sprayed on the monument.

cenotaph.jpg

Thoroughly unhelpful, whether it was well meant or not.

There are better ways to show support for innocents dying in the middle east than graffitiing monuments to the lost.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, an tha said:

be surprised if the slack jawed simpletons make it out of wethies.