You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shop lifter dilemma

Anny Road

Sorry chaps but if someone can point out my racist comments I would appreciate it.

It's just the generally patronising attitude. 'They're the only black family in the village; we make them feel so welcome', is along the lines of what you said. Why shouldn't you make them feel welcome; what has being black got to do with it? Presumably you, as a community, have a duty to make any and all families living in your village feel welcome, no? You're making it sound as if what you've done is going above and beyond the call of duty; as though you'd be well within your rights to go: 'you know what? They're the only black family in the village. Let's make 'em feel like shit!', and because you haven't done that, they're somehow indebted to you and so the stealing is an affront on two levels.

That's why it seems racist: because you've created a different standard by which their behaviour ought to be judged. You are judging them in light of a perceived hospitality you've afforded them, which you only apparently consider to be a hospitality due to the colour of their skin. If you can't see what I mean, think about what your thread would have looked like if it was the average white family in the village stealing from you, and you wanted advice. I would expect that comparing that hypothetical post with the actual post you made would reveal a few differences.

Fucking funny thread, though. Especially the responses.

• Upvote 2

That's a fair response, Resonator, but people have seemingly taken issue with "very african" which, while perhaps not best phrased, is fairly benign. Parts of Africa, the South for example, are more aligned culturally with the West than say East or Western Africa. I think that's what Anny was getting at.

That's a fair response, Resonator, but people have seemingly taken issue with "very african" which, while perhaps not best phrased, is fairly benign. Parts of Africa, the South for example, are more aligned culturally with the West than say East or Western Africa. I think that's what Anny was getting at.

Fair, wasn't driving at that as I agree it's quite benign. I might as well also point out that I'm not accusing Anny Road of being racist, as he does genuinely seem to care that they were made to feel welcome and so on, and it sounds like he has gone out of his way to be nice to them (spices & whatnot). I was just pointing out, as per his request, what people might have taken issue with.

See this I don't get that at all.

Really? Not even a little bit?

The colour of the skin does matter mate because noone else has ever nicked from me and we have gone out of our way to make this family feel welcome in the village. I do not want to be labelled a racist.
One thing you have to understand that where we live there are no black people, there are Indians and Chinese in their relative restaurants but this is only this one family of black folks.
and is very African she moved here from Kenya.

The colour of their skin doesn't matter, it adds nothing to any sane persons thoughts on what happened. Colour does not determine your propensity to steal any more than the region you live in determines your need to steel hub caps (as proved by a later story where somebody stole whisky from you despite saying nobody had ever stole from you). If people labelled you as an inbred cousin shagging yokel solely because you lived in a small village would that be fair?

What makes somebody 'Very African' given the diversity of the continent, are the chinese and Indian folks (who luckily keep to their own restaurant) 'Very Asian'?

You're not overly keen on being labeled as a racist yet all you've done is label people throughout this thread by colour, race, and imprinted your own stereotypes onto them and used it as a criticism (it isn't a stereotypical for 'blacks' to steal thats you pushing your own twisted perception on millions of people based on one experience).

Personally I don't think Racist is the right word, but you are extremely ignorant as proved by the fact you see nothing even vaguely wrong in what you said and see yourself as the victim on here.

Whoa there fella - YOU confuse ME.

Care to enlighten a drunken old retard ?

[YOUTUBE]9Jyhfq8u8Xk[/YOUTUBE]

That word shouldn't be used. People read this forum and what the fuck will they think of us? Of the club we represent? That we can so flippantly use that fucking word. And like a spaz i quote it and it's there again. I feel so stupid i'm going to have to turn and run away. Not crying though. I don't do that.

That word shouldn't be used. People read this forum and what the fuck will they think of us? Of the club we represent? That we can so flippantly use that fucking word. And like a spaz i quote it and it's there again. I feel so stupid i'm going to have to turn and run away. Not crying though. I don't do that.

[YOUTUBE]KVN_0qvuhhw[/YOUTUBE]

Just for the record those that negged me for the swastika avatar need to google swastika. It is a symbol of peace, yes LLEGOVSKI, I'm looking at you. and others.

The Blecks came into the shop Today and I politely asked them to leave. AS ski SAID THIS IS A BIG DEAL UP HERE. There are no black families up here and the ones that are, are made so welcome. To steal from the local shops is a fucking disgrace.

I'm not going to pretend to be fully educated on the history of the Swastika AR, and I'm not going to Google it. The Swastika symbol may once have represented other things, peace being one of them. Since it's adoption by Hitlers Nazi party in the 1920s (I think) I doubt there's anyone who associates it with anything other than the human atrocities carried out by the Germans during the 2nd world war. Even in today's society it's still associated with hate and racism.

Although I didn't see your swastika avatar, I'm a little surprised you decided to use it given the fragility of the thread. Did you use it as a "symbol of peace" or because you knew it would get a negative reaction in the knowledge you knew of it's origin ? If it was the former and you honestly believe the swastika represents peace then I ask you this. Would you go out on remembrance day proudly flying a swastika flag in the name of peace ?

I'm still not convinced of the sincerity of the thread and I'm still waiting for a punch line. I read the way you describe your village and I cant help but think of that film, the Wicker Man.

Odd, very odd.

• Upvote 1

Just for the record those that negged me for the swastika avatar need to google swastika. It is a symbol of peace, yes LLEGOVSKI, I'm looking at you. and others.

The Blecks came into the shop Today and I politely asked them to leave. AS ski SAID THIS IS A BIG DEAL UP HERE. There are no black families up here and the ones that are, are made so welcome. To steal from the local shops is a fucking disgrace.

See, what does that even mean ?? you've made extra effort because they're black ?? it's a boast to say that the black family has been made welcome as in that wouldn't be the norm ?? why would they not be welcome ??. You're quite clearly stating that a black family is different to a white family.

It seems Resonator has already made this point, apologies.

What makes somebody 'Very African' given the diversity of the continent, ?

A very good point.

One thing that really does boil my piss, is the use of the term "African - American"...especially when used by thick fucking American fat fuckers, usually on Oprah, Tyra, Rikki, or other such shite shows.

These cunts that say "African - American" probably can't even identify Africa on a map.

These cunts that say "African - American" probably think Africa is a country, and not an incredibly diverse continent.

Egypt, Etheopia, Nigeria, South Africa; chalk and cheese.

When these people feel the need to categorise people - often themselves ! - by using such fanciful / ignorant terms as "African - American", why don't they simply use the term "black" ? It's not an insult. It certainly shouldn't be.

God forbid the time when white people need to be described as Pan-European, Anglo-Saxons. "White" is succinct and sufficient, thanks.

In the context of this thread though, although I understand why Anny felt the need to say what colour these shoplifters are, truthfully, it shouldn't matter at all. It's not an issue of colour or race, theft is an issue of right and wrong.

Guest San Don

I used to have a shop unit. Not long after we opened, we had a mother and daughter in. Lots of talking going on taking stuff off shelves, putting them back getting something else.

In the end they left without buying anything.

An hour or two later the missus said 'there were 5 of these on the shelf before they come in now there's only 4. And I havent sold anything.'

I was livid. How could we have missed something so obvious as them shoplifting!? We decided we'd challenge them next time they came in the shop and made to leave without buying anything.

Couple of days later the missus fesses up. Said she now remembered removing one item off the rack due to damaged packing!

We could have looked right twats if we had of challenged the mam and daughter.

So, I'd tend to ignore what you've been told by others about this family. I'd make sure next time they come in you watch them closely even if you need to say to the mam 'sorry, Im just keeping an eye on the shelves.'

I'd only act if you see something yourself not based on what you've been told.

And for that reason, Im out.

Guest davelfc
Anyone ever notice that thieves tend to take things they can/can't afford but don't need? You rarely hear of someone being caught shoplifting a steak out of the asda or something, do you?

Maybe it happens all the time, but I never hear about it.

Maybe because the steaks are too high? (oh ok, fuck you all then, I thought it was a good one)

A fair few shoplifters will steal things they can sell for cash. Many years ago we were often offered gillette blades, for example, by crooks. Looking at them you could clearly see they would never use them.

The punishments are worth the crime as far as shoplifting goes, it's very difficult for small shop owners to have real proof unless they have cctv and it has been on the person all of the time since they stole the item.

But I prefer the 'hustlers' method of placing a slightly larger box over another box and then at the till only paying for the outer box price. I was able to get myself a box of 24 double deckers this way with the box from an old playstation 3 console.

Anyone ever notice that thieves tend to take things they can/can't afford but don't need? You rarely hear of someone being caught shoplifting a steak out of the asda or something, do you?

Maybe it happens all the time, but I never hear about it.

By and large, shoplifters prefer to take things which are easy to conceal. I think the number one shoplifted item is razor blades, as they are small but expensive. I was talking to a member of staff at the local Co-Op and they told me people were always nicking packets of grated cheese.