You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

U2 Cancel Glasto!

WaltonRed

Get in! There is a god!

U2 cancel Glastonbury headline slot and postpone 16 US shows - Festival News - Festivals Guide 2010 - NME.COM - News, Reviews, Line-Ups, Photos, Videos, Information and More

U2 have cancelled their Glastonbury headline slot and 16 US shows following frontman Bono's recent back surgery.

The Irish band had been set to headline the Somerset event on June 25. They have postponed shows up to and including their New Jersey New Meadowlands Stadium show, which had been set for July 19, the band reported on their official website, U2.

Festival organizer Michael Eavis broke the festival news on the event's official website, Glastonburyfestivals.co.uk. He said there would be "no comment to make" about possible replacements yet.

Bono said: "I'm heartbroken. We really wanted to be there to do something really special – we even wrote a song especially for the festival."

Michael Eavis said: "It was obvious from our telephone conversation that U2 are hugely disappointed. Clearly, they were looking forward to playing the Pyramid Stage as much as we were looking forward to watching them. At this point, we have no comment to make about possible replacements for U2's Friday night slot. Instead, we would simply like to send Bono our very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery."

Bono received surgery on May 21 after being injured in Munich in rehearsals for the US tour.

I've never understood how the hell U2 became as massive as they have. This is just a personal point of view, but I just find their music so dull and boring. Others who have seen them say they are brilliant, so each to their own, but not my cup of tea. Give me a good metal/punk/doom band any day of the week.

I've never understood how the hell U2 became as massive as they have. This is just a personal point of view, but I just find their music so dull and boring. Others who have seen them say they are brilliant, so each to their own, but not my cup of tea. Give me a good metal/punk/doom band any day of the week.

Same here, they made some great albums but that was some 20 yrs ago and their catalogue the past decade has been pretty poor. Therefore is pisses me off when people say best 'band in the world'. The best band in the world is one who's recent few albums have been the best IMO, these fuckers are nowhere near it.

As a live band they are very good but alot of bands with their tour budget would be give a live experience as good or even better than them i feel. Get all the great bands to play in hall to 250 people and see how good they are live compared to the rest.

Maybe they'll replace them with someone good.

Well Metallica are in Europe around this time, a massive headline act, and they are free that night. Eavis has never gone down the "metal" route, but then again he did have Jay-Z the other year and he was awesome.

I watched them for 15 minutes at Leeds 2 years ago before getting bored and wandering off. They're shit.

Ha ha, people are entitled to their own opinion, but that show at Leeds was pretty damn good. Creeping Death, Sanitarium, No Remorse, Last Caress, So What, And Justice for All, Harvester of Sorrow, all on the same night, plus a world exclusive of The Day that Never Comes.

I've seen them 19 times live and not once have they disappointed, but heh, I respect your opinion.

Ha ha, people are entitled to their own opinion, but that show at Leeds was pretty damn good. Creeping Death, Sanitarium, No Remorse, Last Caress, So What, And Justice for All, Harvester of Sorrow, all on the same night, plus a world exclusive of The Day that Never Comes.

I've seen them 19 times live and not once have they disappointed, but heh, I respect your opinion.

Wot, no Whiskey In The Jarro?

You were short changed comrade, demand ya money back.

As for Bono, anyone who sues a cleaner to reclaim his “iconic hat” deserves to be permanently injured.

Worra tawt.

We're very pleased to announce that the Friday night Pyramid Stage headline slot which U2 have been forced to vacate will now be taken by Gorillaz, who called offering their services once the news about U2 had broken.

Said Michael Eavis: "This is going to be Gorilllaz' only UK festival appearance, and it'll be a massive audio visual spectacle which will really ignite the Pyramid on the Friday night, with Muse, then Stevie Wonder to follow.

"I'm very excited about Gorillaz' show coming here because they're so open to guests and collaborations. The alchemy of Friday's show is going to be astonishing: a perfect, contemporary way to kick off the 40th anniversary celebrations.

"I am so grateful for the enthusiasm of the media and the whole of the music industry for their willingness and eagerness to support us in what could have been a crisis."

Said Murdoc from Gorillaz: "We're like some great big horrible warship pulling in to the Bay of Glastonbury to save the day. It was us or The Beatles and they split up years ago. The previous soldiers got pulled from duty last minute so it's up to my Plastic Beach naval cavalry to sail in and sort the battlefield out. I can assure you though, I'm bringing extra troops. Loads of them. Glastonbury will be ours…cutlasses drawn, trumpets ready. We're coming in…"

Glastonbury Festivals - News - Gorillaz announced as new Friday headliners

And there we have it! FUCKING YES! Thats the best news I've heard all year. Brilliant stuff.

Gorillaz to replace U2 at Glastonbury Festival? - Are the cartoon band to be given the nod this afternoon? - Festival News | Virtual Festivals

Fucking YES. If this happens I will be ecstatic - from a band I have hated for years to one of the bands I've always wanted to go and see? Do it Mr. Eavis!

Gorllaz better than U2?

Can somebody call for The-Sir's carer, he's obviously insane.