You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If we keep Rafa we wont.

If he goes we will.

What are you talking about?

- Is Rafa leaving going to magically provide us with the hundreds of millions needed to pay off the debt?

- Is Rafa leaving going to reassure our unhappy players that we are moving in the right direction again?

- Is Rafa leaving going to make the players who are loyal to him completely change their beliefs and believe that Martin O'Neill or whichever other mediocre cunt replaces Rafa is going to lead us back to glory?

- Is Rafa leaving going to provide us with money to buy the players we need to KEEP UP with our competitors, never mind OVERTAKE them?

I really don't know what you're trying to say here mate. Rafa leaving changes NOTHING! Not for the positive anyway! Our shitness on the pitch is COMPLETELY UNIMPORTANT compared to the shit going on off the pitch, when are people going to realise that? We are in very real danger of dropping from our position as a big club and the longer we remain under the current ownership the more likely it becomes that we go the way of Leeds. This isn't about this season or next season it's about the long term future of this club!

Whether you hate Rafa or love him the list of possible replacements have to give you the chills. No decent manager will even look in this club's direction as long as we are a clusterfuck off the pitch. Our results this season have been HUGELY influenced by events off the pitch, numerous players have spoken about how the owner's broken promises had a hugely negative effect on squad morale.

Rafa is one of the best managers in the world. Anyone will to take on the job under the current circumstances is going to be nowhere nears as good as him and we would be paying £16m for the "privilege". Sacking Rafa now would be the worst thing that could happen to the club.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Planet logic and not planet hysteria.

This squad is more than good enough to get in the top 4 at a canter

It clearly isn't: this squad is going to finish seventh in all likelihood.

I think a lot of people simply aren't taking into account just how much Spurs and City have strengthened since last year. We haven't - down to the manager and, by extension, down to the board.

Anyway, next season... with the current manager I'd hope we get back into Champions League via fourth or third spot at a push. Without the current coach, well it all depends who replaces him and expectations will have to be raised or, as is more likely, lowered accordingly.

What are you talking about?

- Is Rafa leaving going to magically provide us with the hundreds of millions needed to pay off the debt?

- Is Rafa leaving going to reassure our unhappy players that we are moving in the right direction again?

- Is Rafa leaving going to make the players who are loyal to him completely change their beliefs and believe that Martin O'Neill or whichever other mediocre cunt replaces Rafa is going to lead us back to glory?

- Is Rafa leaving going to provide us with money to buy the players we need to KEEP UP with our competitors, never mind OVERTAKE them?

I really don't know what you're trying to say here mate. Rafa leaving changes NOTHING! Not for the positive anyway! Our shitness on the pitch is COMPLETELY UNIMPORTANT compared to the shit going on off the pitch, when are people going to realise that? We are in very real danger of dropping from our position as a big club and the longer we remain under the current ownership the more likely it becomes that we go the way of Leeds. This isn't about this season or next season it's about the long term future of this club!

Whether you hate Rafa or love him the list of possible replacements have to give you the chills. No decent manager will even look in this club's direction as long as we are a clusterfuck off the pitch. Our results this season have been HUGELY influenced by events off the pitch, numerous players have spoken about how the owner's broken promises had a hugely negative effect on squad morale.

Rafa is one of the best managers in the world. Anyone will to take on the job under the current circumstances is going to be nowhere nears as good as him and we would be paying £16m for the "privilege". Sacking Rafa now would be the worst thing that could happen to the club.

I stopped reading at "players who are loyal to him" because I dont think there is one left in the whole squad.

It clearly isn't: this squad is going to finish seventh in all likelihood.

I think a lot of people simply aren't taking into account just how much Spurs and City have strengthened since last year. We haven't - down to the manager and, by extension, down to the board.

Anyway, next season... with the current manager I'd hope we get back into Champions League via fourth or third spot at a push. Without the current coach, well it all depends who replaces him and expectations will have to be raised or, as is more likely, lowered accordingly.

Surviving relegation would be a tremendous achievement. Good luck to whoever's replacing Rafa, he's got a job on his hands.

Scaremongering at its worst.

I heard it all when Ged was at the end.

Okay realistically IF we bring in a decent coach and sign a couple of quality players, we can challenge for the top 4.

But if we intend on challenging for the title again we'll need more than just a couple of new faces. At least 5 quality players will need to come in. A left back, a central midfielder to finally replace Xabi, a left-sided midfielder, a striker and possibly a centre half. All quality players mind, not the rubbish Benitez has been buying of late.

If we can strengthen in these areas with a proven new man at the helm, we can challenge for trophies once again. Not sure where we'd get the money for all these transfers though.

I stopped reading at "players who are loyal to him" because I dont think there is one left in the whole squad.

No players loyal to Rafa eh? Someone should tell the likes of Benny, Torres and Pepe that then, seeing as the clueless fuckers keep publicly backing him. You then go on to compare our current predicament with what we faced when houllier left, not too many similarities there, granted we were struggling back then as we are now, but that's about it really. We're now facing the prospect of the club being completely fucked, forget the $20 million budget, we'll be lucky to see the proceeds of player sales, you can keep repeating your mantra of "If Rafa leaves we'll be OK", that doesn't make it true though. We're boned, accept it.

Leaving aside the managerial debate: the situation the club is in now is in no way comparable to that of 2004 - we are in a much more precarious position. The teams around us have gotten stronger and they're leaving us behind. Someone used the 'closed shop' metaphor and that's the real danger - not scaremongering. Them's the facts and if you don't believe me take a look at the league table.

The main problem at the club is the owners.

The most important thing for the future of the club is getting new, sound owners with a long term plan that includes the success of the club on and off the field, rather than raping the club for their own short term gain.

However I certainly think the issue of “players loyal to the manager” is overblown. Players are generally loyal to the manager because he’s the manager. If the club is paying them and a new manager comes in, plays them, and manages the team well, they’ll be loyal to him as well. If we get a new manager who is shit then players may look to leave.

If Rafa does leave/get sacked then it’s important that we get a good manager in and quickly. I think a change of direction, a couple of good signings and we should be challenging in the top four.

Anyone new will still have the same problems hanging over them as Rafa did though until we get new owners.

No players loyal to Rafa eh? Someone should tell the likes of Benny, Torres and Pepe that then, seeing as the clueless fuckers keep publicly backing him. You then go on to compare our current predicament with what we faced when houllier left, not too many similarities there, granted we were struggling back then as we are now, but that's about it really. We're now facing the prospect of the club being completely fucked, forget the $20 million budget, we'll be lucky to see the proceeds of player sales, you can keep repeating your mantra of "If Rafa leaves we'll be OK", that doesn't make it true though. We're boned, accept it.

Is that why Benayouns agent keeps sounding out moves in the media for him?

Oh, and if Reina was going to be on his toes, why did he sign a 6 year deal? You know, with Rafas future being uncertain and all.

I think I remember Nando saying that he came to play for Liverpool FC, not Rafa Benitez FC, too.

"Hello is this the leg store? My friend Gowldilocks from TLW needs to purchase a leg to stand on."

If we don't get new owners we won't have this squad!

If we keep Rafa we wont.

If he goes we will.

Oh, and if Reina was going to be on his toes, why did he sign a 6 year deal? You know, with Rafas future being uncertain and all.

I think I remember Nando saying that he came to play for Liverpool FC, not Rafa Benitez FC, too.

"Hello is this the leg store? My friend Gowldilocks from TLW needs to purchase a leg to stand on."

Read WR's post, he said that if Rafa stayed we'd lose the squad, I was pointing out that he was talking outta his arse as the likes of Benny, Pepe & Torres have never had a a bad word to say about Benitez and do in fact stand up for him, not quite sure why you're getting all jumpy.

Here's a question for you though, are the big names in our team more likely to want to leave if Rafa leaves and we get someone like O'Neill in?

P.S. I don't need another leg, I get by just fine with the three I've got.

After this season, new owners or not, new manager or not, I have no expectations at all.

We all had high expectations after last seasons second place we should have and did expect 1st. Look how that turned out.

I will take it one game at a time till mid november and see what we have achieved then.

Can't argue with any of that and it's fair to say the only players likely to follow Rafa would be Mascherano (big loss) and Kuyt (no great loss), and if memory serves he didn't raid Valencia at a time when they actually had some handy players, only Aurelio later on and that was a free.

Players don't much follow managers these days - they go where the money/European football/trophies are. That said, if Benitez goes I do expect an exodus - not because the players are loyal to him but because his departure is a sign that he has lost faith, and if the coach loses faith then the players have a ready-made excuse. Whispers that Benitez was ready to bail last season before the improved contract offer might have had an effect on this year's form. They may have already known before the start of this season that the manager wanted out (hence Pepe and Torres explicitly stating that their futures are not tied to Rafa's).

Can't argue with any of that and it's fair to say the only players likely to follow Rafa would be Mascherano (big loss) and Kuyt (no great loss), and if memory serves he didn't raid Valencia at a time when they actually had some handy players, only Aurelio later on and that was a free.

Players don't much follow managers these days - they go where the money/European football/trophies are. That said, if Benitez goes I do expect an exodus - not because the players are loyal to him but because his departure is a sign that he has lost faith, and if the coach loses faith then the players have a ready-made excuse. Whispers that Benitez was ready to bail last season before the improved contract offer might have had an effect on this year's form. They may have already known before the start of this season that the manager wanted out (hence Pepe and Torres explicitly stating that their futures are not tied to Rafa's).

The players also know we are now a sell to buy club who could unload them at a moments notice. If you believe what Tony Barret says in the Times Rafa's ultimatum to the club is about being able to reinvest what he raises. He's even given up on getting a transfer budget.

Pretty much all the players are in a Xabi situation where they know the club will sell them at the clubs convenience. In that situation you're not going to blame them for going out and looking for the deal that suits them best rather than just accepting whatever the club comes up with.

The players also know we are now a sell to buy club who could unload them at a moments notice. If you believe what Tony Barret says in the Times Rafa's ultimatum to the club is about being able to reinvest what he raises. He's even given up on getting a transfer budget.

Pretty much all the players are in a Xabi situation where they know the club will sell them at the clubs convenience. In that situation you're not going to blame them for going out and looking for the deal that suits them best rather than just accepting whatever the club comes up with.

I don’t think we’re really at that stage, but it’s a decent point, especially if the manager is moans and fights about it.

Guest The Chimp

They (Cancer and Aids) have obviously been advised to shut the fuck up and melt into the background and let the rabble direct the ire instead on the manager - and guess what's happened? Look how much effort on here is spent on slaging the manager compared to the two cunts who own us. Now I'm not saying Benitez is blameless - far from it - and have even said if someone comes along who is better then we could do worse than replace him. The issue here, and where differences arise, is obviously in what we each define as a "better option", and for me I'm just not seeing any obvious candidates. If a new manager comes in, this time next year is when we'll know if the off the field problems were the cause of Liverpool's demise this season or if it was indeed poor management by Benitez. I've said it before, this is going to be an off-season which can have some very real, and very stark, long-term effects on the club and its position. Something which, for all of Benitez's faults, wouldn't be the case with decent owners.

I expect the club to be sold and for the new Owners to lay out a path- everything else will flow from there. If new Owners in with low budgets then a few of the players who can (Gerrard, Torres, Masch) will leave for greener pastures- if they in with decent money they will stay. We should change manager regardless of the outcome- but only AFTER the ownership is cleared so that we can get a manager alligned with their expectations.

My wish is an honest club where board, manager, players and fans spend their time trying to win football games. I would rather have that and mid table mediocracy than the present sopa opera.

Realistically speaking, Rafa or some other manager, the realistic expectation will be based on how much is spent

If we once again have the 7th most expensive squad, anything above 7th is a bonus, anything below is a failure.

Gerrard and Carra will continue deteriorating due to age, but still giving mega performances every couple of games, unless their replacements are identified and purchased or brought through the ranks

If there is no money for the squad for better players, our current class players will go. No way Torres, Reina, Masch will stay to hang around with a team of free transfers and hope to win trophies. They are not that deluded.

I personally don't blame Rafa. I have no doubt we would have easily qualified for next years CL if our whole squad was fit, as our first team is as good as any. Everyone complains about Torres and Aquilani being injured, but Johnson has been injured most of the season too. But with net of 0 to spend the last 3 transfer seasons, thats why half the time we have at least 1 bosman on our first team

All the talk of Rafa spending 200 million as a failure, and not looking at the net spend of less than 15 mil a season are obviously stupid. I doubt any of you would be happy with Cisse and Baros running down their contracts until we bought Torres. Thus Rafa trading up every season is good business, and using this as a reason to hang him is shameful or painfully simplistic

Next season will be especially hard, with our top players away at the WC, they won't have a pre-season, and we will definitely have a slow start again.

As for those mentioning Martin O'Neil, I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. This is a manager who purposely crashed out of europe last season, and who hasn't handled any world class stars. Forget about attracting the Villas and Silvas, we will be getting the England B team (if we can afford them)

If we don't get new owners we won't have this squad!

I would agree with that.

The two I could see leaving if nothing is resolved are Torres and Masch. Not two of the players we would want to lose but it is realistic that could happen.

I still find it hard to believe that some think Rafa goes and everything is going to be better.

If we get sold I will see light at the end of the tunnel but until then Rafa or no Rafa I cannot see much change.

Assuming there are no changes in ownership...with the resulting lack of urgently needed investment in quality players, then I would expect no better than 7th in the Premier League again, irrespective of who is manager.

The spine of our team is a match for anyone, but we all know where the problem areas are, and there will be times during the campaign where injuries to key players will inevitably occur, that plus the hangover from the World Cup, does not make me optimistic for next season one iota.

I would agree with that.

The two I could see leaving if nothing is resolved are Torres and Masch. Not two of the players we would want to lose but it is realistic that could happen.

I still find it hard to believe that some think Rafa goes and everything is going to be better.

If we get sold I will see light at the end of the tunnel but until then Rafa or no Rafa I cannot see much change.

Just two? I think that's being very optimistic.

We have a number of players - Agger, Gerrard, Johnson, Mascherano, Reina, Aquilani (when fit) and Torres that many many other teams would love to have in their squads. If Benitez goes, it will be because he has not received assurances that the club will have the appetite to invest in the squad and meet these players and the managers ambition.

If Benitez goes - the message will be loud and clear and the players mentioned above will almost definitely look at their own situation and look for their next move.

Being optimistic, I don't think the league will be getting any better, I think Chelsea need a wedge spending on them that Roman isn't going to release, I'm doubtfull if United have a load of money, and City are Citeh and you should never underestimate their propensity to fuck up!

If Rafa is given the money from sales to invest he could raise 50 million, and if the signings are right then I see no reason why we can't challenge.

On another note, I see Rafa is now linked with Milan, so our manager is being linked with two of the biggest clubs in world football, and we are being linked with Roy Hodgson, Alex McLeish and Martin O'Neil!

We have a number of players - Agger, Gerrard, Johnson, Mascherano, Reina, Aquilani (when fit) and Torres that many many other teams would love to have in their squads.

I certainly hope so.

Don't want to be cruel or anything, and I don't want to look like I've singled him out for criticism again, but I don't think he belongs on that list.

On the Degan, Babel and sundry list, yes.