You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glenn Johnson

Vincent Vega

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would anyone else swap him for Arbeloa given half a chance?

In an ideal world you would have them both. If we are going to continue to play this men behind the ball lark then you would have to say Arbeloa suits that best. But the way we started the season with the full backs pressing on, he really was different class. He's wasted if he's going to spend the whole game in our half.

Johnson is simply not a defender. Where he should play I don't know. I don't think he does either.

I'd bring back Bob in an instant.

Neither is Alves for example. But he's used in the right way. We started out using Johnson in a way that suits his game but now for the sake of numbers in defence we've asked him to not play to his strengths which is pretty dumb, especially after all these years of looking for a a full back that can provide us width.

Was an excellent signing at the start of the season, and lets not forget Bob had his moments as well, Arsenal at home and West Brom away at the back end of last season for one.

But he has had worrying moments since his return, momentary lapses in concentration, which have always cost us.

I think he is a much better player than Bob, not a much better defender, but I certainly don't think he is worse.

Is this thread mainly because he got done once last night whilst being played out of position?

No, it's mainly because Arbeloa was a far better player and certainly defender as demonstrated by Johnson's performances for the team this year in comparison with Arbeloa's over the last three and a half years. Arbeloa was also adept at paying both full-back positions which was an added bonus. He seems to be a scapegoat for Real Madrid's failings in the CL this season as they are supposedly eyeing up Evra, Cashley and Juan Vargas, if he's available I'd give serious consideration to buying him back.

He got caught out in the build up to that goal, but made a couple of brilliant interceptions too.

It's great we have a defender capable of getting a few goals.

Not even our most experienced defenders have covered themselves in glory this year, so I'd give the new guy a break and a clean slate for the new season.

No, I'd swap Kuyt for him though and play Johnson right wing.

Because he's simply not a £17 Million defender

I agree with the second part. He just cant defend. That long ball should have been meat and drink for a defender and even though he was playing at Left Back he should have dealt with it.

People used to give out fuck about Arbeloa but at least he was solid at the nack and versatile.

No, we're looking over the course of his time with us aren't we and taking account of the rough with the smooth in our assessment? That's what I was doing anyway.

You're not (not you personally), your judging 3 years from one player against a specific two month period of another!

Ask the question in December and there would have been a different response.

Not in my case mate, he had a blistering first three games, but then faded for me. Since then we've seen the odd moment but nothing to outweigh the defensive shortcomings. I can only judge him on what we've seen but based on what we've seen so far I would prefer Bob.

Neither is Alves for example. But he's used in the right way. We started out using Johnson in a way that suits his game but now for the sake of numbers in defence we've asked him to not play to his strengths which is pretty dumb, especially after all these years of looking for a a full back that can provide us width.

Who's we?