You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mad as a hatter but what a job he's doing

Ian Holloway.

Went with a friend & his kids to the Blackpool game today. Living in relative close proximity to this shithole of a town, I have on occasions been and watched them over the years but some of the football they played today was absolutely terrific. For a team who were one of the favourites to go down and most seasons put together through a series of loan deals its amazing to see what a team/club can do with a passionate manager getting the very best out of the tools which he has been given.

My mums best friend is a ST holder and goes virtually every home & away and i remember talking to her when Holloway took over and she was far from happy/convinced. Larry Grayson had done a great job before fucking off to Leeds. Spoke to her a couple fo weeks ago and she can't recall a time when there was as much excitement about the club/fans. Not only are they getting the results but they are in her word playignt he best football they've gone for 20 years. Persoanlly i can't see the likes of allardyce, megson & Mcmahon too difficult to beat in the style stakes but hey ho.

It wasn't meant to be a thread about us and Rafa but i have to add this... for the most part I think our football on the whole under Rafa (and Houllier before) has been tepid, dull, boring, functional but lacking in continuity and attacking ability. As long as results go your way, negative/dull football will be tolerated by the majority. As soon as results don't come your in trouble. Thsi is how I see Rafa's position now & Ged's before him in 2003. Had we have played a more expansive & positive game I'm pretty certain he's have been given more leeway for this season. If rafa should leave I just fucking hope he's repalced with a manager/coach who values the basics of pas & move. As infuriating as the Evans era was, we played some fucking tremendous stuff then. Surely there must be a happy medium between then & now. Here's hoping

GC

I may hav had a few too many drinks today. Lovely weather but a slight bitter wind coming in off the sea. A huge contract in games from last weeks but the enjoyment was arguably just as great.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PurpleNose
Holloway really is crazy. Tells it like it is too. If his team has been shit, he says so. Not like the loser we have in charge who chucks the towel in at Reading and birmingham.

Now I like Holloway but...

Holloway -

2003–04: Second Division Runner Up (promotion to First Division) - Queens Park Rangers

Benitez -

Extremadura

Segunda División

Promotion:(1): 1997–98

Tenerife

Segunda División

Promotion (1): 2000–01

Valencia

La Liga

Winner (2): 2001–02, 2003–04

UEFA Cup

Winner (1): 2003–04

Liverpool

UEFA Champions League

Winner (1): 2004–05

FA Cup

Winner (1): 2005–06

UEFA Super Cup

Winner (1): 2005

FA Community Shield

Winner (1): 2006

I think it was the Sheff utd game earlier in the season when they were at home and he sent out his team in some bizarre formation, i remember the reporter on the telly saying he and the Sheff Utd players didn't have a clue what they were up too. Pretty sure they went 3-0 in the first half as well.

He's certainly not conventional, but what really suprised me today is that I actually enjoyed watching a game of football. What i would call two lower league teams play some seriously decent football. Considerably better than a lot fo the dross that has been served out by Liverpool (& many more English premiership teams) this season. It was just simple stuff too, keep possession. Pass & Move. It was honestly really really good, easy on the eye & effective to boot.

I honestly never ever thought of a Holloway type character to be able to a team to produce such good football. Wenger's overhyped I tell yer

will you fuck off if rafa doesnt?

No. I was here long before benitez arrived and I'll be here long after he's fucked off. See what i did there?

Holloway -

2003–04: Second Division Runner Up (promotion to First Division) - Queens Park Rangers

Benitez -

Extremadura

Segunda División

Tenerife

Segunda División

Valencia

La Liga

UEFA Cup

Liverpool

UEFA Champions League

FA Cup

UEFA Super Cup

FA Community Shield

I dont think Holloway's cv has on it that he chucked in the towel against reading and birmingham (you can substitute two other teams if you can find them) like benitez did.

Guest PurpleNose

I dont think Holloway's cv has on it that he chucked in the towel against reading and birmingham (you can substitute two other teams if you can find them) like benitez did.

I'd definately swap a European Cup for a win at Reading.

Guest TesticleOReilly

In Bolshie's defence, he has managed to go a whole thread without mentioning the words "He guaranteed us 4th spot" and "He bought two £20M players!".

Night's young, tho' ..

Holloway -

Benitez -

Extremadura

Segunda División

Tenerife

Segunda División

Valencia

La Liga

UEFA Cup

Liverpool

UEFA Champions League

FA Cup

UEFA Super Cup

FA Community Shield

Jesus H Christ

Only an idiot would even think about comparing the two managers. Try and look a bit further out of the box.

Hypothetical I know but if we had have continued the same attacking intent we had for the last 3 months of last season yet still been in the situation we find ourselves i'm certain there would be much more support for rafa than there currently is.

money isn't everything. Fuck net spend, fuck the wage bill too. Sometimes, just sometimes you get managers that overcome the overwhelming odds and achive something great out of absolutely nothing. & do it also playing the game the right way.

Guest PurpleNose
Jesus H Christ

Only an idiot would even think about comparing the two managers. Try and look a bit further out of the box.

Hypothetical I know but if we had have continued the same attacking intent we had for the last 3 months of last season yet still been in the situation we find ourselves i'm certain there would be much more support for rafa than there currently is.

money isn't everything. Fuck net spend, fuck the wage bill too. Sometimes, just sometimes you get managers that overcome the overwhelming odds and achive something great out of absolutely nothing. & do it also playing the game the right way.

The post wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at Bastard, who called our manager a loser.

I like Holloway as a manager.

I'd definately swap a European Cup for a win at Reading.

Yeah, a glorious night. Thing is, its 5 years (almost) ago. So you keep on living in the past.

In Bolshie's defence, he has managed to go a whole thread without mentioning the words "He guaranteed us 4th spot" and "He bought two £20M players!".

Night's young, tho' ..

You said it for me. Thanks for reminding everyone of those FACTS though.

Guest PurpleNose
Yeah, a glorious night. Thing is, its 5 years (almost) ago. So you keep on living in the past.

Eh?

Why do you think I'm living in the past?

I was comparing the managerial records of Holloway, and a man you called a loser.

It actually has no relevance whatsoever to whether I currently support our manager or not.

Eh?

Why do you think I'm living in the past?

I was comparing the managerial records of Holloway, and a man you called a loser.

It actually has no relevance whatsoever to whether I currently support our manager or not.

So you mention a specific victory 5 years ago and dont see the connection? Wow, you really excell yourself.

Benitez chucked in the towel at reading and he did it again at birmingham.

Clearly, holloway's successes dont measure to benitez as has already been mentioned so I dont see the logic in trying to link them as you have done.

Guest PurpleNose
I dont think Holloway's cv has on it that he chucked in the towel against reading and birmingham[/quoteIT]

Nor does he have a European Cup on his cv. That was my point, I think even you realise this.

But I'm bored now. You can have the last word, as long as you make it extra spazzy.

I dont think Holloway's cv has on it that he chucked in the towel against reading and birmingham[/quoteIT]

Nor does he have a European Cup on his cv. That was my point, I think even you realise this.

But I'm bored now. You can have the last word, as long as you make it extra spazzy.

Is fuck off then ok?

Ladies. Hand bags down. You've both got a lovely pair of tits. Happy?

Now get in the kitchen and make us some sandwiches.

Mines a beef sarnie if your making one sweetie.

You mean like the road to Istanbul?

Good.

Aye but that was 5 years ago. Living off past glories is what Forest, Derby and Villa do.