You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rumour has it....

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

The clubs not in administration so the banks can't put a Chairman in place.

I understand that you are willing to give a chance, but I just can't trust anything they do now. And while BA continue with their largest ever losses, I really don't see what the man is going ot bring as a non-Executive Director and Chairman. My comments about salary were not really an actual concern about his salary as it'll probably only be 80k or 90k as a non exec chairman so a drop in the ocean of our debt. It's more the utter pointlessness of the appointment while Purslow is the one who is charged with bringing in the investment.

Probably been mentioned but they can. Would depend on debt structure and how knee deep the club is... and we are waist deep!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice try! But they haven't given any indication that they both want to step away from it yet - and indeed, the talks with American investment banks suggest they want to refinance at any cost. More likely is that they are trying to sideline Purslow, who of course is RBS's eyes and ears at the club.

This guy is also a friend of Alex Ferguson. Priceless.

I'm just speculating of course - although BOTH came into it with a planned exit point (when they could get the Maximum return on their money, which due to their greed looks to have passed them by with the £500 Mill offer from Dubai).

The search for funds from American investment banks has also been ongoing for a very long time so is not simply geared towards this current phase.

I agree that they're probably trying to move Purslow to the side but RBS could be trying to counter that by moving them to the side.

As I said speculation.

I don't think it's bad news at all. He will act as the interface in negotiations between the owners and the banks/potential purchasers. He will be treated seriously, and he has considerable experience of M&A transactions. If it removes an obstacle to any deal, it has to be welcomed.

I can see what you're saying and looking a little closer at the situation it could actually turn out to be a good thing.

My thinking:

Both Gillett and Hicks are now looking for the exit door - with not much chance of getting away with anything other than a break even point.

RBS have Purslow in place lining up investors who are simply being bullied/scared away from their initial offer position by Gillett and Hicks pure greed.

So RBS 'suggest' that they step away from the investment process to ensure one of the prospective investors carries through with thier intent and they get a deal.

Gillett and Hicks have been in London talking with RBS lawyers to set a value for the club (Aspirational and minimum) to allow the new Chief Exec to work towards that.

IF (and it's a big if) that is the situation it could be the best possible situation for us at the moment.

Love your thinking mate, lets hope so. My first impression is its another puppet to make promises and statements, seeing as people now know that everything Purslow has said hasn't come off and G&H have a history of lies, someone new might be believable for a start.

I am afraid it is a neccessary evil to compete on an equal footing off the pitch. In effect it will dissolve all responsibility away from the owners which can only be a good thing - I believe if Brougton or someone of his calibre is appointed we will have a very strong commercial & executive team however it always comes back to the same point - without new investment not sure how effective this will be ..

Role of the chairman

The chairman's role includes managing the board's business and acting as its facilitator and guide. This can include:

• Determining board composition and organisation;
  • Clarifying board and management responsibilities;
  • Planning and managing board and board committee meetings;
  • Developing the effectiveness of the board.

I think there are two issues here which people seem to be clouding and merging into one. The first is the ownership situation and as far as that goes, I see no reason for that to change in the short to medium term. We will get an additional 30m next season with the new world TV rights deal, in addition to the extra 30m that started last year for the new domestic deal. Thats an additional 60m per season since the eejits took over, for doing nothing. Add on to that the Standard charter deal and were easily able to afford the interest on the loans and then some. As I understand it, winning the Europa league will give us much the same cash as getting to the last 16 of teh CL, so were no worse off, indeed, we could be as much as 40m better off next year.

So from the eejits point of view, there is no rush to sell, we can pay the loans the banks will be happy etc etc etc I dont expect them gone anytime soon, unless someone breaks the banks for us.

Second is the issue of how we are run on a day to day basis, maximising the revenue and while it sticks in the throat that the yanks will benefit, its also in ours, the clubs interests, to maximise the revenue. With Nashs experience of the Emirates build and financing and this guys commercial appeal, we stand a good chance of getting in a position to build the stadium, which again, whilst helping the eejits, will also help us as a club because the stadium a) enables us to generate enough cash to buy and keep hold of the players we want, without money from the owners and b) makes us more attractive to a new buyer.

So I dont expect any change in ownership soon which is a pain, but at the same time, we have to realise that life goes on and whoever is in charge, the clubs best interests are served by ensuring we maximise our cash flow and getting the best deals we can.

Nash, Purslow, Ayre, Broughton if he comes on board are the kind of guys who got Arsenal where they are and who we should have had on our board a long long time ago.

UNited laid the seeds of their dominance through becoming a PLC in 1990, something conveniently ignored by the Green N Golders, when they look back on the last 20 years, had it not been for the money from the citeh, they'd not have afforded they players they did, going back to Keane, Ince, Bruce and Pallister days.

Meanwhile, we have continued to run a poor off field show and that goes back to Peter Robinsons days.

WE need new owners, yes, but we also need to do what we can to make the best of a bad situation.

Nash, Purslow, Ayre, Broughton if he comes on board are the kind of guys who got Arsenal where they are and who we should have had on our board a long long time ago.

Whilst there is a lot of truth in what you say, there's also a major difference with Arsenal that you are neglecting: Arsenal isn't, and never has been, owned by two asset-strippers who see the club as a money-making tool and have no interest in its long-term viability. Arsenal had family owners, people like the Hill-Woods and Lady Bracewell-Smith, who had a stake in the club going back decades. Arsenal don't pay £40m a year just for the privilege of being owned by two cowboys.

For as long as we are run by people who ONLY see Liverpool FC as a short-term, money-making opportunity, we'll fall further and further behind on the pitch.

Great points made by RRT and RF for point out the one floor in RRT post.

The owners dont have to sell or will only have to sell if the bank doesnt agree to refinance and no other bank is prepared to step in. highly unlikely whilst all there debt it being paid on time.

More likely and more worringly is that the bank will seek further reductions in the debt and this will probably mean Torres leaving to pay that 100m shortfall.

More importantly Torres has made it clear he will stay as long as new players come in this summer but with the existing owners unlikely to provide any new funds net you can all draw your own conclusions as to what will happen.

It's genuinely testimony to how stupid they think the fans are, G&H 'stepping down' wow what a victory, still in debt, still owned by these two absolute cunts, and with a Chelsea fan as chairman, what a brave new world, oh and leave Dalglish in there as the symbolic figurehead. Let's get Dennis Wise in as director of something while we're at it. Oh and don't forget the LFC mugs, the mugs are all important.

Pretty much spot on.

I think there are two issues here which people seem to be clouding and merging into one. The first is the ownership situation and as far as that goes, I see no reason for that to change in the short to medium term. We will get an additional 30m next season with the new world TV rights deal, in addition to the extra 30m that started last year for the new domestic deal. Thats an additional 60m per season since the eejits took over, for doing nothing. Add on to that the Standard charter deal and were easily able to afford the interest on the loans and then some. As I understand it, winning the Europa league will give us much the same cash as getting to the last 16 of teh CL, so were no worse off, indeed, we could be as much as 40m better off next year.

So from the eejits point of view, there is no rush to sell, we can pay the loans the banks will be happy etc etc etc I dont expect them gone anytime soon, unless someone breaks the banks for us.

Second is the issue of how we are run on a day to day basis, maximising the revenue and while it sticks in the throat that the yanks will benefit, its also in ours, the clubs interests, to maximise the revenue. With Nashs experience of the Emirates build and financing and this guys commercial appeal, we stand a good chance of getting in a position to build the stadium, which again, whilst helping the eejits, will also help us as a club because the stadium a) enables us to generate enough cash to buy and keep hold of the players we want, without money from the owners and b) makes us more attractive to a new buyer.

So I dont expect any change in ownership soon which is a pain, but at the same time, we have to realise that life goes on and whoever is in charge, the clubs best interests are served by ensuring we maximise our cash flow and getting the best deals we can.

UNited laid the seeds of their dominance through becoming a PLC in 1990, something conveniently ignored by the Green N Golders, when they look back on the last 20 years, had it not been for the money from the citeh, they'd not have afforded they players they did, going back to Keane, Ince, Bruce and Pallister days.

Meanwhile, we have continued to run a poor off field show and that goes back to Peter Robinsons days.

WE need new owners, yes, but we also need to do what we can to make the best of a bad situation.

I think you're 100% correct in all you say in this post - But.....

One part of the equation is missing - the demands that RBS are making on the Club. There is undoubtedly this pot of gold that they are sitting on and will be available to the club. Getting to the point where they can access this pot of Gold is the rocky path that they will travel or fail on.

Someone described it perfectly the other day, they said that Hicks and Gillett have the businessmans nightmare going on around them at the moment - they are sat on a very very lucrative goldmine with no tools to mine the riches therein.

There is one major difference he has actually bought new money into the club wheras Cunt and cuntier have just taken it out.

I can see what you're saying but I think that is overstating Ayres influence in the new money coming in. The sponsorship deals were up for renewal and he was the man in place to conduct the auction. Not a great deal of business dynamism in that given who we are, our history and success.

I can see what you're saying and looking a little closer at the situation it could actually turn out to be a good thing.

My thinking:

Both Gillett and Hicks are now looking for the exit door - with not much chance of getting away with anything other than a break even point.

RBS have Purslow in place lining up investors who are simply being bullied/scared away from their initial offer position by Gillett and Hicks pure greed.

So RBS 'suggest' that they step away from the investment process to ensure one of the prospective investors carries through with thier intent and they get a deal.

Gillett and Hicks have been in London talking with RBS lawyers to set a value for the club (Aspirational and minimum) to allow the new Chief Exec to work towards that.

IF (and it's a big if) that is the situation it could be the best possible situation for us at the moment.

It is exactly something like this I am hoping the new appointment means, which is why I can't see any reason to be opposed to it until we get certain indications (rather than guessing articles in the media) that it is not happening like that.

I can see what you're saying but I think that is overstating Ayres influence in the new money coming in. The sponsorship deals were up for renewal and he was the man in place to conduct the auction. Not a great deal of business dynamism in that given who we are, our history and success.

It's always good to get a job where the benchmark for excellence was set by Rick Parry. Even so it was the largest such deal ever at the time and is on par with Manure's, which frankly, is pretty amazing. It's in no small part due to the strategy of targeting Asia and starting to build a presence there through academies, the tour etc. Again not rocket science, but a sound strategy, well executed, which is in my experience 80% of being successful in business.

I am afraid it is a neccessary evil to compete on an equal footing off the pitch. In effect it will dissolve all responsibility away from the owners which can only be a good thing - I believe if Brougton or someone of his calibre is appointed we will have a very strong commercial & executive team however it always comes back to the same point - without new investment not sure how effective this will be ..

Role of the chairman

The chairman's role includes managing the board's business and acting as its facilitator and guide. This can include:

• Determining board composition and organisation;
  • Clarifying board and management responsibilities;
  • Planning and managing board and board committee meetings;
  • Developing the effectiveness of the board.

Indications are he would be coming in as a non-executive chairman which means the role would be nothing like that. He would be a figurehead and essentially being paid to network on our behalf. It's almost like a lobbyist role for me. It would seem more like a long-term strategic move than anything to do with the immediate sale.

this new chairman has been appointed by the yanks and them only. He is here to find investment that suits the yanks as what purslow offered was not enough money to them. The rbs are a shower of shithouses what good is the rbs owning our club in june. People will have left by then. Honestly think were in a even worse position. Fuck this new man and those yank cunts

In that case we are fucked a bit harder with this appointment than we were before. Shit. Will this fucking tragedy never end?

Only thing I disagree in the post with is the notion that RBS owning the club won't be better. As a business who can't afford to alienate too many people in the UK they'll be less greedy than the yanks, when it comes to new owners - as long as they can get their money back, they'll be fine.

this new chairman has been appointed by the yanks and them only. He is here to find investment that suits the yanks as what purslow offered was not enough money to them. The rbs are a shower of shithouses what good is the rbs owning our club in june. People will have left by then. Honestly think were in a even worse position. Fuck this new man and those yank cunts

That may well be the case - but what are you basing your claim on?

This was posted by someone on TIA.

"Despite His commercial prowess, Purslow isn't a Chairman, so to break the deadlock he's got to find a credible Chairman. A guy that knows about business, sport and raising funds... Broughton fits the bill. Plus, fortuitously for us, BA's in a heck of a mess - none of Broughton's doing and he's in the market for a move.

Installing him as chairman, gives us massive credibility and would encourage any investors that we're getting our house in order and that they wouldn't be jerked around by the lame-duck Americans.

I'm in no doubt that Purslow will be loving this, RBS will be behind this and that Hicks and Gillett will be hating this!

Finally, I think that a 2 stage takeover is likely because the American's don't seem to want to walk away BUT if an new investor comes in, along with Broughton, they'll be in a corner.

Make no mistake, if this happens, it's massive news."