You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dave Whelan - Wigan Chairman

Malarkey

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has to spoil it. He is the one that said he wouldn't have a foreign manager. He does know his isn't called Robert Martins, doesn't he?

Dave Whelan 05/04/09:

"We've got the best managers in the world here - English, Welsh, Irish and Scots. I'd never entertain a foreign manager for Wigan, and I don't think it's right that England have a foreign manager either.

"We are the home of football, for God's sake. I can't believe that we need foreign managers.

Dave Whelan 11/06/09:

Wigan Athletic has confirmed that Roberto Martinez will be appointed as the club’s new manager.

An official announcement is not expected until Wednesday, but chairman Dave Whelan told Sky Sports news Tuesday that the deal is done.

“I’m very excited about securing the services of Roberto Martinez,” Whelan said. “I hold him in the highest regard.

If I'm being really critical he could have said this in a slightly different way, but the main thing is he is a person in the game of a certain profile who is quoted on SSN telling it like it is. Our owners have ripped the heart out of the place and that is a fact.

So, well said Dave Whelan.

If I'm being really critical he could have said this in a slightly different way, but the main thing is he is a person in the game of a certain profile who is quoted on SSN telling it like it is. Our owners have ripped the heart out of the place and that is a fact.

So, well said Dave Whelan.

Spot on rev.

Seems Rafa has 'hit' back at these comments:

Rafael Benitez hits back at Wigan chief Dave Whelan

Rafael Benitez has said Wigan chairman Dave Whelan should concentrate on his own club rather than worry about what is going on at Liverpool.

Whelan claimed the Reds were in a "mess" following Wigan's 1-0 victory over Benitez's side on Monday.

Whelan said: "Liverpool are in a mess. The owners, being American, I don't think they feel what we [fans] feel."

Reds manager Benitez hit back: "I do not talk about Wigan. He [Whelan] should talk about his own club."

Whelan also admitted he felt sorry for Liverpool fans after Hugo Rodallega's volley consigned them to a seventh league defeat away from Anfield this season, and their ninth loss in total.

"The big sympathy I have is for the Liverpool supporters because they are a fantastic lot," Whelan added.

"I'm really, really sorry for their supporters. We went to Anfield earlier in the season and there was absolutely no atmosphere and no heart at all.

"The supporters feel that and I think the players are starting to feel it."

Monday's result left Liverpool in sixth place in the Premier League table, one point behind Tottenham and Manchester City who have one and two games in hand respectively over the Reds.

Aston Villa, who are three points behind Liverpool, have three games in hand as the race for fourth spot, and a place in next season's European Champions League, gathers pace.

Benitez was highly critical of his side's performance at the DW Stadium, accusing them of lacking attitude and character.

But the Spaniard has little time to dwell on the defeat with the Reds travelling to France to take on Lille in the Europa League on Thursday.

"Hopefully there will be a reaction in Lille," said Benitez. "This is an opportunity to put things right and try to get a good result.

"In football you sometimes prefer to rest but at this time it is good to have a match quickly after what happened at Wigan."

I don't like Dave Whelan, he is like fucking rent-a-quote at times, half of what he says he contradicts later on. This doesn't mean he is always wrong though. If you come out with enough big mouthed opinions then some of them are right.

Anybody in the public eye slagging off our owners and feeling sorry for our "fantastic" fans is alright in my book.

More the merrier.

He's a fairly high profile person slagging off the American Owners and the mess the club is in.

I just wish more people would be vocal on the subject.

"He [Whelan] should talk about his own club." - Rafa

But it's okay for Rafa to snidely slag off other teams style of play. He just doesn't see the massive hypocrisy.

Rafa should keep quiet. Why is he having a go at Whelan? Loyalty to his paymasters perhaps? The same idiots that wanted to sack him in favour of Klinsmann? If you have nothing to say that will help to rid us off the yanks then shut up Rafa and let the anti-yanks speak freely.

I'm not sure Whelan is the kind of person you want on your side in any battle...

He's also wrong that American owners are a bad thing per se. Just look at Randy Learner down at Villa. He doesn't seem to have any problems understanding things...

Overall, probably not helpful comments from DW.

You don't think it is in any way hypocritical that Rafa tells someone to stop talking about his team, yet he did it about someone else's team only last week?

Ithink there's a difference between a chairman of one club talking about the owners and atmosphere of another club, and a manager of one club talking about the playing style of another club. If Rafa had been talking about the ownership situation at Blackburn, then that would be hypocrisy.

Besides, I don't see what else Rafa could've said really. He was obviously asked about Whelan's comments, and telling the reporter that he agrees that the Yanks (his employers, the people who gave him a five year contract last summer) are destroying the club wasn't really on the cards was it.