You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Houllier left Rafa

Dudek

Finnan

Carra

Hypia

Riise

Traore

Hamann

Murphy

Gerrard

Smicer

Kewell

Cisse

Baros

Owen

Pongolle

Of which 9 started the CL final in 2005

If Rafa left tomorrow he would leave the next manager

Pepe

Johnson

Carra

Skrtel

Agger

Aurellio

Insua

Mascher

Lucas

Aquilliani

Gerrard

Reira

Babel

Kuyt

Yossi

El Zhar

Ngog

Torres

So how much of an improvement is that in 6 seasons

I think our squad players were undoubtedly better in years gone by, but Rafa's 'big hitters' were better than the ones Houllier bought, with the exception of big Sami and Hamman. The problem as ever is the gulf in quality between Rafa's best and worst signings. Houllier bought more middleing players, players who may not have been the best in the league, but could do a job.

Rafa's signings either tend to be top class, or next to useless.

What a stupid comparison.

You forgot to add that:

- Houllier's Legacy also left a Michael Owen who was certain to leave months later. So thats one of your world class players gone. (Luckily, Rafa saved Gerrard from going)

- Rafa has just sold a 30m world class player in Xabi Alonso and has not been given a penny of it to reinvest, hence the team weakens. Houllier never had this problem, ever. The same goes for a 20M Keane, 12m of which he could not invest, hence the squad weakens. Had he known, he wouldn't have sold Keane, and we would be even stronger.

- Most importantly, fuck knows how you can call this Rafa's Legacy, considering its been blighted and clouded over with the most embarrasing, damaging and ridiculous ownership situation this club has ever faced. In history, it will go down as Rafa's tenure, but in the grand scheme of things, it's the owners who have made their mark on this club.

Pepe World Class

Johnson Good attacking full back, suspect defensively, overpriced

Carra

Skrtel Average defender wouldn't get into any top half team

Agger Made of glass

Aurellio Average

Insua Average at best

Mascher Rich mans Robbie Savage. 1 dimensional. Overpriced

Lucas Shite. Vastly over priced

Aquilliani Who knows?

Gerrard

Reira Poor. 1 trick pony.

Babel Shite. We were Ripped off. Shirking, lazy twat.

Kuyt £10m striker who couldnt hit a barn door. Shit control and passing

Yossi Good player.

El Zhar Bizzare!

Ngog Average. What other top half prem team would he get a game for

Torres The shining light.

Why havent you included the other shite like voronin deggen plessis itandje dossena and the greek

What a stupid comparison.

You forgot to add that:

- Houllier's Legacy also left a Michael Owen who was certain to leave months later. So thats one of your world class players gone. (Luckily, Rafa saved Gerrard from going)

- Rafa has just sold a 30m world class player in Xabi Alonso and has not been given a penny of it to reinvest, hence the team weakens. Houllier never had this problem, ever. The same goes for a 20M Keane, 12m of which he could not invest, hence the squad weakens. Had he known, he wouldn't have sold Keane, and we would be even stronger.

- Most importantly, fuck knows how you can call this Rafa's Legacy, considering its been blighted and clouded over with the most embarrasing, damaging and ridiculous ownership situation this club has ever faced. In history, it will go down as Rafa's tenure, but in the grand scheme of things, it's the owners who have made their mark on this club.

Aquilani and Johnson !

Fully accept that Rafa may have leave the exisiting squad plus Silva had he been given what he was promissed.

The other insteresting things is that Houllier's problems are being mirrored by Rafa in that Houllier's teams got found out when they tried to be more attacking.

The similarities are very close in that Houllier's team was let off the leash and won 9 out of 10 and Rafa's likewise but the following season got picked off when they tried to be more attacking and he reverted to type. Rafa is struggling this season because his defence isnt as good as it has been but offensively we are better.

Houllier left Rafa

Dudek

Finnan

Carra

Hypia

Riise

Traore

Hamann

Murphy

Gerrard

Smicer

Kewell

Cisse

Baros

Owen

Pongolle

Of which 9 started the CL final in 2005

If Rafa left tomorrow he would leave the next manager

Pepe

Johnson

Carra

Skrtel

Agger

Aurellio

Insua

Mascher

Lucas

Aquilliani

Gerrard

Reira

Babel

Kuyt

Yossi

El Zhar

Ngog

Torres

Using the basis of the 9 that won no.five for us. Its obvious that Raffa got more out of that lot than Houllier did you utter mong. As for our current squad if your unable to work out the difference then please fuck off.

on the same basis that Rafa got a lot more out of Houllier's legacy than Houllier could that someone else could get a lot more out of Rafa's legacy than Rafa can just as Rafa did with Cuper's Valencia and Mourinho did with Ranieri's chelsea.

Sometimes a manager takes a team as far as he can.

It's not what an improvement Rafa has made, it's how the other teams have improved. The Premier League is a hundred times more competitive than it was before, and much harder to get into the top four than it was six years ago. And, on that basis, I would say that Rafa has left a worse squad than Houllier when compared to the rest of the Premier League. Houllier left by far the worse players (fucking Cheyrou, Traore, Le Tallec, Diao... how the fuck were those players able to get a game for us?) but the competition was much weaker.

I think our squad players were undoubtedly better in years gone by, but Rafa's 'big hitters' were better than the ones Houllier bought, with the exception of big Sami and Hamman. The problem as ever is the gulf in quality between Rafa's best and worst signings. Houllier bought more middleing players, players who may not have been the best in the league, but could do a job.

Rafa's signings either tend to be top class, or next to useless.

I'm not sure about that. Since we're considering 2004, the above list (which contains it's share of mediocrity) omits Diao, Cheyrou, Le Tallec, Welsh, Partridge, Otsemobor, Luzi and Diouf. There is also the good-but-permacrocked Chris Kirkland. Whatever your opinion of our current squad (and manager) you have to admit that 2004 was pretty dire.

I think the point behind Nick's original post is that there really isn't that much in it squad wise. I'm not sure that apart from fluking the CL final with Houllier's players, there isn't much to show for Rafa's tenure.

I didn't rate Houllier as a manager, especially over his last 18 months. I think almost anyone managing in the premier league during his tenure could have done at least as well with the resources at his disposal. I'm fairly sure that there are a growing number of managers in the prem that could do as well as Benitez.

Houllier left a team that with the addition of Alonso and Garcia won the CL.

I cant see the team Benitez leaving matching that feat.

Benitez has also left us in a position where if he was to be forced out or leave, I think its odds on all the spanish staff from the academy right up to the coaching staff would leave.

Its that situation as much as any which we need to be very mindful off.

Houllier left a team that with the addition of Alonso and Garcia won the CL.

I cant see the team Benitez leaving matching that feat.

Benitez has also left us in a position where if he was to be forced out or leave, I think its odds on all the spanish staff from the academy right up to the coaching staff would leave.

Its that situation as much as any which we need to be very mindful off.

To the first 11 Silva and Cole would make our first 11 challenge for the title again and improve the squad as well.

Houllier fucked it up all on his own but Rafa has had some help