You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool blocked Dossena transfer Wednesday 11 November, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reports claiming Andrea Dossena was close to joining Napoli in the summer were accurate, but Liverpool blocked the deal, according to the player’s agent.

The 28-year-old Italy international has been repeatedly linked with Napoli in recent months, no more so than in preseason when a deal looked as if it had been struck.

When the transfer didn’t go through, the Italian Press speculated that Napoli’s demands for complete ownership of Dossena’s image rights were the stumbling block.

However, it now emerges that Liverpool never even countenanced letting Dossena leave Anfield Road.

Speaking to Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli, Pastorello said: “The deal in August was real, but the problem was not just related to the contract.

“In fact, Liverpool, never even gave us the green light to deal with Napoli, at least not officially.

“Just over a year ago, Liverpool invested £8.5m plus bonuses in Andrea and they weren’t willing to let him go for half that figure.”

Asked if there was a chance of Dossena joining Napoli in January, Pastorello replied: “He plays less this year. It’s evident that he has to leave Liverpool.

“If Napoli want Dossena, they know what to do,” he concluded.

Edited by Juan Galonso

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Just over a year ago, Liverpool invested £8.5m plus bonuses in Andrea and they weren’t willing to let him go for half that figure.”

I just want to highlight this again. Fucking disgraceful signing by the manager. He cannot ever moan about money coz he has wasted a fucking shit load .So thats nearly £30million for him and Keane and both will be gone in just over 12 months for a fraction of what they were sgined for.

En Rafa we trust my fucking arse. This quote by his agent makes me so angry. £8.5 PLUS add ons. Unbelievable.

We weren't willing to let him go for half the 8.5m he cost?????

Why exactly?

He gets moved from Squad Number 2 to Number 38. Will hardly play this season and we decide to keep him on? Staggering.

Maybe the money wasnt going to be available to reinvest in the team, and as such an overweight Italian international is better than nothing..... just.

“In fact, Liverpool, never even gave us the green light to deal with Napoli, at least not officially.

Love the rush to accept the rest of the article, but ignore this bit. And I love the start "According to the players agent...."

Still, all in a day's bashing eh.

We weren't willing to let him go for half the 8.5m he cost?????

Why exactly?

He gets moved from Squad Number 2 to Number 38. Will hardly play this season and we decide to keep him on? Staggering.

Or possibly we'd set a figure they never matched, who knows maybe £5?

Lots of potential reasons it might not have gone through, I'm sure none of us know why?

This quote by his agent makes me so angry. £8.5 PLUS add ons. Unbelievable.

Why would an Italian, I presume, agent be quoting prices in £'s?

A lot of people seem to taking what he's said as gospel, but I doubt any agent has every told the full truth.