You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rumour: Babel to Ajax

john23liverpool

Whenever I see Babel I am reminded of Star Wars when Darth Vader reveals to Luke that he is his father.

Yeah, me too! Doesn't everyone?

Every single time I see Ryan Babel playing football for Liverpool, I just get transported back to when I first saw The Empire Strikes Back, and that pivotal shocking moment: Luke is Darth Vader's son?! No way!!!!!!1111?????

It's uncanny!

***WOOOP!WOOOP!WOOOP!WOOOP!*****

Sorry, let me turn that off. It's just an alarm that lets me know when sarcasm in a post reaches dangerous levels.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if the fee was £8m rising to £11m but regardless its still been a shocking bit of business by Rafa.

In all fairness i thought looked superb for the Dutch in that under-21 tournament but obviously we didn't research him enough.

At the time of him signing there were rumours that Pako told Rafa to steer clear and Wenger also felt Babel didn't have the mental strength to become a top player.

Seems both were right.

He also roased the shit out of Johnsosn in that friendly the other day.

Babel is a good player who Benitez has destroyed.

I know lots dont like that here but its true.

Good to see that we have to sell someone to give a player a pay rise.

Sad state of affairs, if true.

What next, an auction for the Shankly Gates?

See this is how rumours get started.

This time tomorrow the media is going to be filled with headlines like: "American Liverpool owners set to action the Shankly Gates for Reinas contract extension."

In a dream world we'd use Babel as a makeweight in a deal for Suarez. But alas, this aint no dream world.

We were offered Suarez by Ajax in the summer of 2008, for far less than we paid for Robbie keane. Talk now is that United or Chelsea will pay £30m+ for him. Another inspired choice by scouts and manager.

Yeah, me too! Doesn't everyone?

Every single time I see Ryan Babel playing football for Liverpool, I just get transported back to when I first saw The Empire Strikes Back, and that pivotal shocking moment: Luke is Darth Vader's son?! No way!!!!!!1111?????

It's uncanny!

***WOOOP!WOOOP!WOOOP!WOOOP!*****

Sorry, let me turn that off. It's just an alarm that lets me know when sarcasm in a post reaches dangerous levels.

Maybe in dangerous levels, but its still funny.

No. Voronin offers twice as much as Ryan Babel. A bit of smart movement, the ability to trap a football, a left foot that can actually be used... etc.

You are a good poster but if are comparing skill levels then Babel just beats Voronin in every department. Thats why its so sad. If Babel actaully took the time to learn a few things from his peer he would of been great.

Voronin has only experience on his side that doenst count for much. Mind you I am really against him for his antics in the build up to the Arsenal goal in the Carling Cup. A back heel in that area???

Unforgivable. I wouldnt have played him after that.

You are a good poster but if are comparing skill levels then Babel just beats Voronin in every department. Thats why its so sad. If Babel actaully took the time to learn a few things from his peer he would of been great.

Voronin has only experience on his side that doenst count for much. Mind you I am really against him for his antics in the build up to the Arsenal goal in the Carling Cup. A back heel in that area???

Unforgivable. I wouldnt have played him after that.

The problem with Ryan, is that he has little to no technical ability. His first touch is the worst in the squad, his dribbling isn't very strong, he is as one-footed as John Arne Riise, and he can't seem to link up with anyone well.

Voronin isn't the best footballer on the planet or anything, but he actually offers a more well-rounded footballer than Ryan. His first touch is decent, his work ethic isn't bad, his technical ability isn't bad, his vision is pretty good, and he makes decisions better than Ryan.

Ryan is big, strong, pacey, and has a good shot. He's really got nothing else, though.

We were offered Suarez by Ajax in the summer of 2008, for far less than we paid for Robbie keane. Talk now is that United or Chelsea will pay £30m+ for him. Another inspired choice by scouts and manager.

so let me get this straight, you are criticising the manager and scouts for buying Babel from Ajax and to emphasise this a little bit more you highlight the fact we could have got another AJAX player for a similar amount instead!

Maybe our scouts looked at Suarez and thought, fuck that, been there got our fingers burnt, never again.

The problem with Ryan, is that he has little to no technical ability. His first touch is the worst in the squad, his dribbling isn't very strong, he is as one-footed as John Arne Riise, and he can't seem to link up with anyone well.

Voronin isn't the best footballer on the planet or anything, but he actually offers a more well-rounded footballer than Ryan. His first touch is decent, his work ethic isn't bad, his technical ability isn't bad, his vision is pretty good, and he makes decisions better than Ryan.

Ryan is big, strong, pacey, and has a good shot. He's really got nothing else, though.

Cant argue against what you are saying. We need two players that can replace the pair of them, and right now I would have taken Riise and Crouch back if I had the chance.

I have no idea how these things work but surely the money we save on Babel's wages could fund a wage increase for another player?

It didn't work like that in the summer. We stopped paying wages to Alonso, Hyypia, Arbeloa and Pennant, yet the bastard American cunts still took the wage increases for Gerrard, Torres and whoever else, out of Rafa's transfer budget.

so let me get this straight, you are criticising the manager and scouts for buying Babel from Ajax and to emphasise this a little bit more you highlight the fact we could have got another AJAX player for a similar amount instead!

Maybe our scouts looked at Suarez and thought, fuck that, been there got our fingers burnt, never again.

Oh right, silly me. Because we buy one hopeless young player at a ridiculous price from Ajax it means every player from there is going to be hopeless? Of course. That makes perfect sense. Because Ajax have never produced any decent players. :wallbutt:

My point is that I'd rather have a Boy Scout than our Chief Scout (step forward Mr Macia) making transfer decisions...

Oh right, silly me. Because we buy one hopeless young player at a ridiculous price from Ajax it means every player from there is going to be hopeless? Of course. That makes perfect sense. Because Ajax have never produced any decent players. :wallbutt:

My point is that I'd rather have a Boy Scout than our Chief Scout (step forward Mr Macia) making transfer decisions...

I'd rather a blind, deaf, mute picking our players than Macia. He's a joke.

Arshavin was the playuer we missed out on, not Suarez.

Nope, the only time i remember us being linked to Arshavin was in the January window when we were shipping Keane out. (That said icannot think of a single player who would have been better suited to a 4-2-3-1 system than Arshavin, playing just off Torres). We were talking to Ajax about Suarez and they offered him to us for considerably less than we paid for Keane.