You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If you could recommend one band/artist etc

Steve Holt

As a recommendation of someone people may not have head - try Marina and the Diamonds.

Can't link any songs as my work computer is crap but visit youtube and have a look.

"official" songs are Obsessions and I Am Not A Robot but there's plenty of other stuff as well.

And I love her

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to go for Denis Jones. There's loads of bands I'd love to make people listen to that they might never hear but I think Jones is the one that is most likely for people never to have heard of before (given that he's pretty much an unknown from Manchester). I started a thread about him pretty recently on here but here's a couple of tracks:

ltZRZ9IaVjk

YlPXepFpEn0&feature=related

I'm familiar with Denis Jones, Monty, but have to say didn't particularly rate his debut album, Humdrum Virtue, apart from the last track.

This is an album by a young (24-year-old) musician with obvious talent, marred by a few key, grating errors. It takes itself too seriously, it’s one-dimensional, and it certainly doesn’t get away with its title. For all this, its final track is a mesmeric, wonderful piece of work. Given the repetitive torpor elsewhere, from the very first second of ‘Beginning’ it’s as if the clouds have lifted. Minor key makes way for major, Jones’s guitar skips along merrily and the general optimism evident even extends to his voice, which sounds better here than anywhere else on the record. The words are ridiculous to the point where they're inspired – “There’s Vera Lynn on the violin / Elvis Costello, well he’s playing the cello / It’s like a super-band, when they all lend a hand / Yoko Ono - well she’s mixing in phono” – far preferable to the grievances Jones airs elsewhere (with advertising for example groan), and entirely in keeping with the nature of the song, I reckon.

I'm familiar with Denis Jones, Monty, but have to say didn't particularly rate his debut album, Humdrum Virtue, apart from the last track.

This is an album by a young (24-year-old) musician with obvious talent, marred by a few key, grating errors. It takes itself too seriously, it’s one-dimensional, and it certainly doesn’t get away with its title. For all this, its final track is a mesmeric, wonderful piece of work. Given the repetitive torpor elsewhere, from the very first second of ‘Beginning’ it’s as if the clouds have lifted. Minor key makes way for major, Jones’s guitar skips along merrily and the general optimism evident even extends to his voice, which sounds better here than anywhere else on the record. The words are ridiculous to the point where they're inspired – “There’s Vera Lynn on the violin / Elvis Costello, well he’s playing the cello / It’s like a super-band, when they all lend a hand / Yoko Ono - well she’s mixing in phono” – far preferable to the grievances Jones airs elsewhere (with advertising for example groan), and entirely in keeping with the nature of the song, I reckon.

Well informed as always Noos. That Elvis tune is going to be on the next album and there's a track called Sometimes, that's on youtube, that's also going to be on it. Can't wait to get hold of it to be honest.

Sorry don't know how to inbed it. Good song/video though.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rai5PsGRtHI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rai5PsGRtHI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Did that work?

No

Crowded House.

Neil Finn is the musical genius's musical genius.

Mind you, having said that, don't touch the 'Time On Earth' album they put out after reforming. Get the first four albums, or the greatest hits CD.

There's a couple of decent tunes on there but on the whole, yeah, it's tripe.

How about someone that most of us have heard of? Anyway, in my opinion the most underrated artist over the last few years is David Gray.

[YOUTUBE]PP-f8TDb2n4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Eo-tp0JZvUA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4KMUP8oTJ54&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

And one of the greatest remakes ever:

[YOUTUBE]qjy3jWLz4Fk[/YOUTUBE]

Dave Matthews Band

Hopefully some of you have hours of new-found music to look forward too..

I really liked this band for a while around the time their album Everyday came out in 2001, then I fell away from them for some reason. I'm gonna try to get back into them. Fucking love The Space Between. One of the most beautiful songs of the past ten years that.

Was doing a bit of research and was sad to learn that LeRoi Moore had died. He played a mean saxophone that man.

Anyway, top band. Repped.

I really liked this band for a while around the time their album Everyday came out in 2001, then I fell away from them for some reason. I'm gonna try to get back into them. Fucking love The Space Between. One of the most beautiful songs of the past ten years that.

Was doing a bit of research and was sad to learn that LeRoi Moore had died. He played a mean saxophone that man.

Anyway, top band. Repped.

Yes it`s a shame about Mr. Moore. Did you know he had a bit of a side project with a band called Code Magenta? They put music to spoken/sung poems and had a very groovy/jazz/funk sound. Some of it is very good, but I guess you couldn't call it mainstream:|

Anyway, in regards to DMB I really like their early studio albums. At least compared to the latter once. But as a band hailed as one of the best live-bands in the world you should really check out some of their live-albums. My personal favourite is "Live at Red Rocks", but that's probably just because it was the first DMB live-album i bought.

Here is a good place to get what you need:

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND | Home Page | Dave Matthews Band

Glad you liked it, and hope you enjoy getting back in touch with their music.