You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa charged

pr1tpal

TheFA.com - Benitez charged

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been charged with improper conduct by The FA, following comments made to the media after his side's fixture at Tottenham Hotspur on 16 August.

The charge relates to comments made about the match official immediately following the match at White Hart Lane. Benitez has until 15 September 2009 to respond.

The respect campaign once again rears its ugly head.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an incompotent bunch of fuckwits. He should either flat our ignore them;or escalate the situation by bringing his Voronin to a press conference with him and have him wear a tracksuit with " FA" written on it before slowly AC Slatering over Voroninja and explaining exactly what he means by the gesture as the media and F.A are unlikely to understand it without a step-by-step clarification.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez was furious at the decision to deny his side two penalties in their 2-1 Premier League defeat at Tottenham on Sunday.

Referee Phil Dowd ruled that Benoit Assou-Ekotto's challenge on Andriy Voronin and a handball later from the same player were not spot-kicks.

"The decisions were very poor," said the 49-year-old Spaniard.

"Everyone could see the first one was a penalty. The second one was handball but we knew it would not be a penalty."

As well as criticising Dowd, Benitez was also unhappy with fourth official Stuart Atwell, who sent off Reds assistant manager Sammy Lee for protesting too strongly about the alleged handball.

or the fourth official, he is a young referee and maybe he has to calm down a little bit. He is too young," added Benitez.

Liverpool felt they should have had a penalty when substitute Voronin went down following a shoulder challenge by Assou-Ekotto late in the second half at White Hart Lane.

Minutes later, Yossi Benayoun's right-wing cross struck the arm of Assou-Ekotto but the referee felt it was ball to hand and waved away further appeals.

Liverpool had already been awarded one penalty earlier in the match when Glenn Johnson was upended by keeper Heurelho Gomes and Steven Gerrard converted to cancel out Assou-Ekotto's 44th-minute strike.

Benitez suggested that official Dowd was swayed not to give Liverpool another spot-kick by his awarding of one already in the match.

"With this referee, I knew this [another penalty] was impossible," he stated.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp rejected the claims of a penalty against Assou-Ekotto and said: "I did not think Liverpool's shout for a second penalty was right as Assou-Ekotto has just eased Voronin off the ball.

"It is the kind of bread-and-butter stuff that defenders do week in, week out. The ball was also running away from Voronin."

Redknapp chose to focus primarily on his side's victory, provided by Sebastien Bassong's headed goal on his debut only moments after Liverpool had equalised.

"We frustrated Liverpool, forcing them to knock the ball long, and our two centre-halves could just head the ball away," commented Redknapp.

"It was a good performance but now we need to go to Hull on Wednesday and do it all again."

But despite the win, Spurs boss did admit that he was looking to further strengthen his squad before the transfer window closes on 1 September.

"If we can strengthen again then we will do," he said.

"We want to put a team out here that can finish in the top six. We need to push on and if the right player became available that would improve us we would have a go."

Meanwhile, Benitez felt his side were not up to their usual standard as they failed to match the opening wins of the season by likely title rivals Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

"We have to improve in the middle, keeping the ball, and the understanding has to be better," conceded Benitez.

"But it is too early, and we have another game on Wednesday when clearly we have to improve in the possession."

BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | Benitez fumes at penalty denials

The FA are a fucking joke. How can anyone, anywhere, have any respect whatsoever for any of their referees and officials? Ferguson carries on like a cunt and gets a pass by referees and FA committee members alike. The big purple nosed, addled brained, piss smelling, adult nappy wearing, tramp's punchbag of a Scotch twat says and does what he likes with complete impunity. Rafa coughs and gets charged. I thought what he said about that paedophile, Dowd, was very measured and well within the boundaries of permissable query. What the fuck is going on?

It's the start of the season so the FA are bound to clamp down on this sort of thing early on.

And they also sent out letters to managers telling them they couldn't talk about referees before matches this season i.e Like Moyes did ahead of the FA Cup Semi Final, so this is just them laying down a marker. Which is all well and good - except we all know they won't be consistent throughout the season, just as UEFA won't with diving.

And in any case, Rafa needs to stop wasting his time when it comes to referees and concentrate on things he has control over.

I think its probably only a matter of time before someone takes this down the legal route, basically the FA are saying that managers cannot give their opinions when asked or otherwise about referees.

Last I heard we lived in a democracy and we have the legal rights to say pretty much what we like (bar incitement to hate etc) but I think it could go a similar route to something like Bosman when the first time something like this is challenged in the courts then it would be shown up for the bullshit it is.

I'm no legal eagle, but that is my take on it, the FA would have to crawl up their own arse as they cannot prevent free speech.

I thought Rafa was petty and disrespectful with his comments but am surprised he's been charged, although I hadn't ruled it out.

These two parts are the most incriminating, especially the first:

With this referee, I knew this [another penalty] was impossible

The second one was handball but we knew it would not be a penalty