You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NFL Discussion and Fantasy League thread

odris

Well that was an eventful first night.

Seems mad to me the money spent this quickly on players that teams working with them every day have decided aren't worth paying big money for.

I like the packers approach. Every year the only free agents signed early are their own.

Heard a catch up on ESPN radio this morning driving to the office, and someone was talking really positively about what the Jets have done, and summing up by saying "so they should be back up to the .500 level this year"

Brandon Marshall and Revis added on big salaries and they're still not contenders.

Graham to Seattle worries me though, that sounds like a stud signing. Smells like the Saints were in a pickle cap wise though, otherwise why lose one of your best players and biggest difference makers, and still spend this year paying $9m to not have him?

This wasnt a cap move by the Saints.

This is costing us money this year not decreasing it,Payton has been saying in so many words the offense had become predictable and the defense needed strengthening. This time next year we will have loads of cap room. We may not be finished yet as i heard than Cam Jordan could have been on his way to the Giants but it fell through and that Buffalo might take one of our guards. This is full change of system and players and too be honest it was needed. The team was getting old in key areas and we needed a proven center. 

From everything i have read/heard the saints front office have been worried about Graham long term health as he takes some big hits to the lower back and knees and he isnt expected to play into his mid 30s. Some have suggested similar with Unger. The second pick at the end of round one will be very usefull and will probably go get a ILB/CB there depending on what happens with our first and remainder of FA.

Nothing Payton though he will probably package both firsts to go get Kevin White or the teams 16th safety.

Really interesting night

Yeah, I get that the dead money comes now, but I don't buy that he's just not wanted, however many concerns exist over his health long term.

He's the best player in your offense and you went to great lengths to sign him up to that recent deal. Now, all of a sudden, he's surplus?

Whatever way you look at it, whether it's a cap problem or a roster depth issue, there's got to have been some really poor management decisions to lead you to this point, and can you be anywhere near confident that this isn't another?

We (packers) found a starting quality centre in the 5th round last year. You've got one coming in on the back of an injury, who is 8 years into a career that lasts 3 on average.

The first round pick might be some compensation, but I wouldn't say it was much, personally.

I honestly think its the team wanting to shake things up and move away from being predictable. Dont get me wrong if we had cap and more options then the team keeps Graham but that contract was huge and we either had to let him walk or sign him up next year. The interior of the Saints line is the key to everything we do,Drew isnt as mobile as Rodgers and doesnt have the great receivers that he does either. So its all about keeping the pocket clean for him to step up into and Unger should do that. Its not that i think he isnt wanted as such but was expendable. Brees became too vixated with Graham on the field and his pick numbers were rising as he went to Graham more and more. We will miss him but Brees was at his best with a great offensive line and a receiving core of Colston,Meachem,Henderson,Moore and Shockey

Both Unger and Graham have injury concerns long term so its 50/50 but for me its a good trade for both teams as its stands. If we pick badly or Unger doesnt stay fit then that can change but if we go and sign a great player in the draft and Unger stays fit it looks a good deal. As i said to a Saints fans going mental about it the cap its frees up is huge long term. Lets say that the Saints manage to find say a Muhammad Wilkerson type player with the 31st pick(he was 30 a few years back) or a Alec Ogletree he will cost around $7ml for 4 years and Unger deal is pretty cheap for a AllPro centre. That will cost us less than Graham cost per year

Anyway dont worry we may have Reggie Bush coming back

• Upvote 1

Loved sitting there last night watching all the news get revealed; it's like a palatable transfer deadline day, really. Revis back to New York. Five-year, $70m deal, with $39 guaranteed. Actually a really good price all things considered. Think the Graham trade is better for Seattle than New Orleans, but can see why it happened for both parties. Same with the Alonso - McCoy trade, but then the Bills have given him $16m this year alone which is fucking insane for a running back, especially one coming off a down year with so much mileage on the clock. Reckon DeMarco Murray ends up in Jacksonville, who haven't done too bad so far. Have overpaid for pretty much everyone they've brought in, as have Oakland, but they had to - if not because nobody wants to go there as much as them needing to spend all that leftover cap space. 

Knew the Ravens wouldn't be big players yesterday but delighted with the Ngata trade. No way he was staying with a $16m cap hit this year - and no way, with his age and injury history, he deserved to be on $10m+ for the next few years. Was resurgent last year but that's because Brandon Williams is the best, young nose tackle in the league and Pernell McPhee was blowing up plays from everywhere. When Ngata was suspended, Timmy Jernigan stepped in and played really well so Ozzie's 80/20 rules comes in to play again. He was going to get cut because he wouldn't take a paycut so we've managed to not only keep him out of the AFC - think he'd have been nailed on to join Pagano in Indy - but also got two mid-round picks. Great move.

The bigger issue is losing Canty, Ngata and McPhee from the front in one year. Got Kapron Lewis-Moore and Brent Urban who we're high on but neither have played a snap in the NFL and both missed all of last year with injuries (KLM has missed both years since he's been here with an ACL and achilles tear). Had hoped we'd keep Torrey Smith, but we offered him $35m over five-years last season and he rejected it so stuck to our guns. He's only earning potentially an extra $5m over the same period in San Francisco. Never going to be a true #1 receiver but the Ravens have a poor history of drafting receivers, particularly with high picks. Interested to see how Kamar Aiken, Marlon Brown and Michael Campanaro progress after all impressing in limited roles.

• Upvote 1

Saints shopping everyone except Brees and Cooks

Grubbs traded to Kansas

Brandon Browner a Saints 3 year deal around $5ml

Murray signs with Eagles 21ml guaranteed 8.4ml per year

Eagles on verge of trading G Mathis

Came in with a bit of a tarnished rep, did well covering for Jones then played less when Jones was healthy. Did well as a pass rusher and a bit on special teams but I assumed he was leaving for more regular starts (which I doubt he'll get at the rams).

Not seen enough of the Rams, the pats played a lot of sub packages so presuming his upturn wasn't scheme and situation related he should be a solid player for you.

With demarco Murray signing for the Eagles. Surely Adrian Petersen will find his way out of his Minnesota contract just so he can get to Dallas. I'm not sure that Texas is as opposed to beating your children with a stick if you can run the ball.

They haven't sorted Dez Bryants contract yet and couldn't keep Murray as a consequence. Unless Peterson takes a new deal or they can drop cap space in another area it won't happen.

They haven't sorted Dez Bryants contract yet and couldn't keep Murray as a consequence. Unless Peterson takes a new deal or they can drop cap space in another area it won't happen.

I dont think it will either. But im not sure how much the Vikings want to keep him, if they release him, he potentially could end up with the Cowboys

I remember Jerry getting caught speaking with him on the phone once (before his issues) syaing that they would try and get him to Dallas ( Im paraphrasing obviously)

With that Offensive Line, they could make most RBs look good, but I cant shake the feeling that Jerry has let Murray go, knowing that he can get a readymade replacement

I think so,but wouldn't be shocked either way. Brees is apparently part of the reason both Stills and Grubbs went. He wasn't keen on Stills concentration levels and Grubbs was getting him killed.

I do think if the right offer came in the front office woild consider a trade though

SF's Borland quits over safety issues

By Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | March 16, 2015

BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Borland becomes the most prominent NFL player to leave the game in his prime because of concerns about brain injuries. More than 70 former players have been diagnosed with progressive neurological disease following their deaths, and numerous studies have shown a connection between the repetitive head trauma associated with football, brain damage and issues such as depression and memory loss.

Chris Borland

Michael Zagaris/San Francisco 49ers/Getty Images

Chris Borland prior to the game against the Seattle Seahawks at Levi's Stadium on Nov. 27, 2014.

"I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been, for me it's wanting to be proactive," said Borland. "I'm concerned that if you wait till you have symptoms, it's too late. ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."

Borland was expected to be a key part of the 49ers defense this season after the retirement last week of All-Pro linebacker Patrick Willis. Borland replaced Willis, 30, after six games last season; Willis had sustained a toe injury.

Willis' retirement had no role in his decision, Borland said.

Borland said there was no chance he would change his mind. The third-round draft pick who starred at the University of Wisconsin said he has had just two diagnosed concussions: one while playing soccer in the eighth grade, the other playing football as a sophomore in high school.

Borland, who is listed at 5-foot-11, 248 pounds, earned accolades for his aggressiveness and instincts at inside linebacker. He had 107 tackles and a sack in 14 games, eight of them starts. He was the NFC's defensive player of the week for his performance against the New York Giants in Week 11. He led the team with 13 tackles in that game and became the first 49ers rookie linebacker in history with two interceptions in one game. He received one vote for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

His success last season did not make his decision more difficult, Borland said: "I've thought about what I could accomplish in football, but for me personally, when you read about Mike Webster and Dave Duerson and Ray Easterling, you read all these stories and to be the type of player I want to be in football, I think I'd have to take on some risks that as a person I don't want to take on." Borland was referring to former NFL greats who were diagnosed with a devastating brain disease, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, after their deaths. Duerson and Easterling committed suicide.

Borland said he began to have misgivings during training camp. He said he sustained what he believed to be a concussion stuffing a running play but played through it, in part because he was trying to make the team. "I just thought to myself, 'What am I doing? Is this how I'm going to live my adult life, banging my head, especially with what I've learned and knew about the dangers?'"

He said the issue "gathered steam" as the season progressed. Before the fourth game of the pre-season, at Houston, he wrote a letter to his parents, informing them that he thought that his career in the NFL would be brief because of his concerns about the potential long-term effects of the head injuries.

After the season, Borland said, he consulted with prominent concussion researchers and former players to affirm his decision. He also scheduled baseline tests to monitor his neurological wellbeing going forward "and contribute to the greater research." After thinking through the potential repercussions, Borland said the decision was ultimately "simple."

He said part of the reason he waited until now was because he wanted to inform his family and friends, including a few 49er teammates. He said he also wanted to have time to contact the researchers and study the issue further.

Borland, who earned a bachelor's degree in history at the University of Wisconsin, said he plans to return to school and possibly pursue a career in sports management. He had a four-year contract with the 49ers worth just under $3 million, which included a signing bonus of $617,436.

The decision to retire had nothing to do with the 49ers, Borland said. He said that his feelings toward the team and his teammates marked one of the hardest aspects of the decision.

"It's an incredible organization, and they truly looked out for players' best interests," he said.

Borland is the fourth NFL player age 30 or younger to announce his retirement in the past week. Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds, 27, said he retired "after much thought and consideration" to pursue "other interests." Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, 26, said he left the game because he no longer had "the burning desire necessary to play the game for a living."

Willis said he retired due to constant pain in his feet, among other reasons. He was placed on the season-ending injured reserve Nov. 11 after getting hurt on Oct. 13.

Borland had a decorated career at Wisconsin, where he was named the Big Ten's defensive player of the year and linebacker of the year as a senior. He was a first-team All-American

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see the competition committee rewarding stupidity by implementing the Ravens proposed rule change with ineligible receivers now having to line up in the 'tackle box'.

Rewarding lazy coaches who don't know the rules by taking the rules away.

That's bollocks cardie.

Rules consistently favour offense and games are becoming more and more about just scorning more and not putting much in the hands of the defense.

Trickery like this should always have a short shelf life. Do it, get away with it once or twice, then have it taken away.

Shouldn't the defense know who they are having to defend against?

If all players were eligible, fair enough, but when a player looks eligible but isn't, when you're having to shift as a defense at a tempo dictated by the offense, then it's trickery.

More and more teams are going up tempo, no huddle style. Allowing that sort of play is just unfair.

I know its available to everyone, and no question it's clever use of the rules, but it comes down to 'spirit of the game' type thinking for me.

Make it a battle. Let my team make a play by being better than yours. Not by being sneaker.