You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shin Splints

Scott_M

Has anybody ever had them? If so, how did they come on?

I haven't been to the Doctors yet but I've been playing loads recently and have started to get a pain inbetween my Tibula & Fibula pretty much whenever I put my foot down.

It's also pretty swallon and is defintley not from a kick.

Does anybody know the best way to treat them, if this what it is? I've read rest is pretty much the only thing but I don't want to do that.

Seriously mate, rest is the only cure as everytime you run, tackle or put any pressure on your lower leg, it will aggravate it.

I had them a few years back and I found that leaving out running but swimming instead was a great help.

This lad speaks the truth, I get them now and again. Dropping a few pounds always helps as well

I've lost weight recently and I'm defintley not fat.

Also, is this something a 27 year old should be getting? I thought it was just kids and old men.

Yeah, it can happen at any age. Limbs react in different ways to the pounding they get from varying surfaces. You find that athletes who do a lot of road racing/running get them most.

There is little or no cure other than rest.

I got them last year mate.

The way it came about on me was the first pre-season game back for my football team, which was in late July, when the pitch was very hard.

I remember running in for a tackle and my leg being jolted from both sides from 2 different lads. After that it was fucked.

As mentioned mate, rest is the only realistic choice, inless you've got the dough to be seeing a physio, and they'll just put some shitty laser treatment on it for 20 minutes and charge you through the nose.

It's a fucking twat shin splints. I've never been the same player since I got it.

I've had shin splints since I was about 10 playing sunday football. I get them pretty regularly if I don't stretch properly before doing sport (I even get them swimming if I do nothing before getting in the pool). So my advice is get to know the lower leg stretching techniques and do them thoroughly before any footie etc.

Plenty of google results for what the shin stretches are, but they mostly involve standing with your back to a wall and raising yourself onto the balls of your feet, holding that position for a few seconds then lowering. Repeat to fade...

Shin splints are generally over-use injuries so as paddyberger said rest is the only cure. When you resume training start with a bit of swimming first before you introduce any running.

If you do any road running then you need to make sure you've got the right shoes with the right support. You should get your gait checked in a running store to make sure your wearing shoes with appropriate cushioning and support. I had a re-occurring problem for months a while back and it was simply because I had the wrong shoes.

EDIT: You might also want to try some weight training and learn some correct stretching techniques. It's also more beneficial for you to stretch after your work out rather than before it.

Has anybody ever had them? If so, how did they come on?

I haven't been to the Doctors yet but I've been playing loads recently and have started to get a pain inbetween my Tibula & Fibula pretty much whenever I put my foot down.

It's also pretty swallon and is defintley not from a kick.

Does anybody know the best way to treat them, if this what it is? I've read rest is pretty much the only thing but I don't want to do that.

You could have the early symptoms of Compartment Pressure Syndrome. I have had it in both leg for years mate. I eventually had to have an operation because I carried on playing sport etc.

It's fucking not nice either.

Cheers

Cheers for all your help lads. Appriciated.

I've been doing some exercises for it for about a week. Manage my first pain-free run this week so it looks as though they're beginning to work.

Have a look on youtube for shin splints exercises to see how they work. Generally it's standing with your back against a wall, press your heals into the ground and try to raise your toes up as high as you can and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat twice, so 3 times in total. Do this for a week then in the second week, same exercise but then after the set is finished do it again standing on one foot as you do it so your leg is taking twice the weight. Repeat until you've done it 3 times for each leg.

Yeah, it can happen at any age. Limbs react in different ways to the pounding they get from varying surfaces. You find that athletes who do a lot of road racing/running get them most.

There is little or no cure other than rest.

I used to do a lot of road running when I was younger and i still suffer from shin splints. Cant run on roads or threadmills for anything longer than a few km's without suffering. Cross country, astro turf etc are all fine.

Apparently its a lot to do with your running method. I raise my feet slightly higher than the average person thus creating more impact when meeting the ground. The type of running shoe you use doesnt make much difference either as they will not absorb all the impact.

I was told that keeping both heels on the ground and lifting the rest of your foot up as much as possible can help, but I tend to forget about doing that.

Orthotic in-soles help. That and a sneaky voltarol before playing, then a nice warm bath after.

I was looking through my old football gear today & found a pair of those insoles.

Wore them playing tonight & they help ease the pressure on them loads & was virtually pain free tonight.

I defintley recommed them.

Going to start the exercise Leeson described as well.

I had shin splints for the best part of 2 years. I have dislocated a shoulder and thumb and been concussed three times, but I have never, ever been in so much pain as I was when it was at its worst. Two years of what felt like torture from the medieval age.

In the end it went away through a combination of rest (I didn't play any sport for 3 years, which is why I am in the appalling shape I am now) and being diagnosed with "abnormally flat feet." I have inner soles now and thank god I do because the pain was driving me crazy. 20 minute walks were taking an hour because I couldn't walk for a sustained period of time. I had to stop driving lessons. I had to stop *f and rugby.... it was generally shocking.

If you have shin splints, or think you do, don't just start wearing innersoles and doing exercises, go and see a doctor.