You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best team in europe currently?

Soleilrouge

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TK-421

Currently:

Barca

Man Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

Over the last five years:

Barca

Liverpool

Man Utd

AC Milan

I don't think Chelsea will hang around the elite for much longer the way they are going, maybe next season but not sure beyond that.

Currently:

Barca

Man Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

Over the last five years:

Barca

Liverpool

Man Utd

AC Milan

I don't think Chelsea will hang around the elite for much longer the way they are going, maybe next season but not sure beyond that.

Are you insane? Do you honestly believe that we have been better than United over the last 5 years and that they are better right now? You must have mixed it.

Of course we're not.

The best team in Europe would have won something. Anything. The best two teams in Europe did. Barca and Utd.

That is the harsh reality.

Sometimes you have to look behind the numbers, there are reasons for everything. Are you the kind of guy who says that the football team that win a match always deserves it simply because they have scored one more goal than the opposition? How boring.

Barcelona

Liverpool

Man Utd

Chelsea

Arsenal

Real Madrid

Inter Milan

Bayern Munich

Athletico Madrid

AC Milan

Juventus

Shakhtar Donetsk

Porto

Last 3 or 4 could be any order really though as it's difficult to differentiate when they've played so few CL games.

Are you the kind of guy who says that the football team that win a match always deserves it simply because they have scored one more goal than the opposition?

So, other than the fact you are a Liverpool supporter, how do you come to the conclusion we are currently the best team in Europe?

It has to be Barcelona. They are the champions of their own country and the champions of Europe. They edged past Chelsea in the semi then gave Man Utd a hiding to win it. They are the best.

You could make an argument to say we'd have fared better against Barca had we made it to the final, and while I believe that too, it just comes across a bit smalltime. The facts are we lost to Chelsea in the QF. We also lost the league to Man Utd by four points too. We fell short both domestically and in Europe. We can't possibly be at the top of this particular pile if we want the most current rating.

Having said all that, I think the margins between Barcelona, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea are paper thin. Any one of them could beat any other on any given day. Man Utd have a style in England to go all out against teams and steamroller them. It is why they have won the league so many times in the last two decades. An argument can be made that you need a different approach against the best sides, as Barcelona just demonstrated.

I do think there is a gap between the top four and the rest in Europe at the moment.

The frustrating part is that we are likely to meet English opposition in the QF/SF next year too.

Barca- European champions;top team in the best League in the world

Mancs- top team in the 2nd best League in the world, lost to top team in the best

Chavs- 3-1 at Anfield

Lfc- 5-1 aggregate vs RM

You honestly think the Spanish league is the best in the world???

To me, its less competitive than even the Scottish league!

Barca are awesome no question, but after that its just awful!

Real Madrid, the next best team in the league would have finished behind all the big four and Villa and Everton if they were a premier league team. It says a lot for the remaining Spanish teams that none of them could finish above the worst Real Madrid side in recent years.

It's a very tricky question, because there's really no answer to it. Some teams will fare better against some teams than others.

Would we have done better against Barca on Wednesday? I would hope so, but I could equally see us on the end of a spanking.

Chelsea 'getting a result' against Barca, which in the end they obviously didn't, doesn't make them a good team, it makes them (or Guus, at least) tactically astute - although it might also make them a bunch of shithouse football-killing arsewipes, depending on your point of view.

In the end, if you've got a gun to my head, I suppose I'd have to say Barcelona are probably the best there is out there at present, although I fancy we'd give them a game. I'd also say we're better than the Mancs and the Chavs, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?

You honestly think the Spanish league is the best in the world???

To me, its less competitive than even the Scottish league!

Barca are awesome no question, but after that its just awful!

Real Madrid, the next best team in the league would have finished behind all the big four and Villa and Everton if they were a premier league team. It says a lot for the remaining Spanish teams that none of them could finish above the worst Real Madrid side in recent years.

They have 6 top teams who actually do things in Europe, we have 4, only 2 of which have actually won a European trophy in the last deacde

All their teams play football.

The fact that the BS & any MoN side can come 5th/6th playing hoofball is damning for the PL & look how they always do in the Uefa Cup

From 5th down any direct 2-legged match would see their team winning.

Whilst the PL is so regularly turned over in the Uefa Cup & then childishly claims that they weren't even trying (ridiculously when winning it would bring glory, joy for the fans, cash for the club & massive CV brownie points, future jobs & cash for the manager- see Rafa or Ramos) it is not a great League.

Finally they have 4 CL & 3 UEFA cups to 2 & 1 over the last decade.

For all the Sky-crowing it is only actually us & the Mancs who have actually won anything in Europe in the last 10 years, far worse than the old 1st division used to do!

They have 6 top teams who actually do things in Europe, we have 4, only 2 of which have actually won a European trophy in the last deacde

All their teams play football.

The fact that the BS & any MoN side can come 5th/6th playing hoofball is damning for the PL & look how they always do in the Uefa Cup

From 5th down any direct 2-legged match would see their team winning.

Whilst the PL is so regularly turned over in the Uefa Cup & then childishly claims that they weren't even trying (ridiculously when winning it would bring glory, joy for the fans, cash for the club & massive CV brownie points, future jobs & cash for the manager- see Rafa or Ramos) it is not a great League.

Finally they have 4 CL & 3 UEFA cups to 2 & 1 over the last decade.

For all the Sky-crowing it is only actually us & the Mancs who have actually won anything in Europe in the last 10 years, far worse than the old 1st division used to do!

Whilst not entirely disagreeing Catch, why must you use shite stats? We're talking currently, but you say "over the last decade" to try and prove your point with statistics. It's worthless. I could easily say that England has had 3 out of 4 semi finalists in the Champions League the last two years and that the other team, Arsenal and then us, were only knocked out by another English team and that in the quarters. If you're purely going off the CL England has 4 of Europe's top teams, Spain 1.

Whilst not entirely disagreeing Catch, why must you use shite stats? We're talking currently, but you say "over the last decade" to try and prove your point with statistics. It's worthless. I could easily say that England has had 3 out of 4 semi finalists in the Champions League the last two years and that the other team, Arsenal and then us, were only knocked out by another English team and that in the quarters. If you're purely going off the CL England has 4 of Europe's top teams, Spain 1.

That's a very good point & i am being unfairly & wrongly selective, you are right.

I just get so fucked off by Sky's constant "best League in the world" when i see the crap that AV & BS play & yet deservedly come 5th & 6th.

The performances in the Uefa Cup are pathetic but the post-failiure excuses would be childish coming from a 6-year old.

Win the Uefa Cup & 'Arry/Moyes or MoN suddenly have the credibility to take over a top 4 team (just look at Rafa or Ramos) with all the benefits that gives them- they were desperate to be successful in it.

I amy be showing my age but in the old 1st division there was a 10-year span when 3 different teams won 7 European Cups & a 15-20 period when countless teams won European trophies.

That was far better than it is now

We have 4 fantastic sides but the rest are utter shite & far worse than their equivalents in Germany or Spain

As I started this thread, I get the last word.

Apart from Judge, you are all talking crap.

We are talking currently.

We have beaten Utd twice this year and quite comfortably so.

We have shown in the past an ability to handle teams like BArca - squeezing the life out of them in midfield.

We should have beaten Chelsea and would have with a full strength team.

Chelsea were the better team against Barca over both legs.

I think the logic is inescapable.

It is either Chelsea or Liverpool.

QED

As I started this thread, I get the last word.

Apart from Judge, you are all talking crap.

We are talking currently.

We have beaten Utd twice this year and quite comfortably so.

We have shown in the past an ability to handle teams like BArca - squeezing the life out of them in midfield.

We should have beaten Chelsea and would have with a full strength team.

Chelsea were the better team against Barca over both legs.

I think the logic is inescapable.

It is either Chelsea or Liverpool.

QED

Exactly what I was thinking.

How anyone can put Utd above us, after getting beat by us (twice) and barca this season is just weird.

People have said so many times in the match threads for our last game against them and the cl final how they were made to look ordinary, what, they just had a bad day?