You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RYAN BABEL could become the first high-profile casualty of Rafael Benitez’s summer shake-up after being told he can leave Liverpool.

Babel’s agent Winnie Haatrecht met with the Anfield manager to discuss the player having a more prominent first-team role next season.

Benitez, though, was unable to offer such guarantees and has informed the Holland international he may now speak to other clubs during the transfer window.

That is likely to spark a chase for Babel, who became the third-most expensive player in Liverpool’s history when arriving for £11.5million from Ajax in July 2007.

Liverpool will want to recoup of much as that fee as possible, with Babel likely to command a price tag of around £8m.

Ajax, who yesterday appointed Martin Jol as new coach to succeed Marco van Basten, are thought eager to re-sign Babel but could be put off by the asking price and the player’s wages.

Babel is also certain to attract interest from Italy and Spain, with Benitez open to the possibility of using the 22-year-old as a makeweight to facilitate a possible big-money transfer.

Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa and Arsenal have all been linked with a summer move for Babel and could make any interest formal.

Babel has scored 14 goals in 91 appearances for Liverpool. However, only 42 have been in a starting role – a mere six coming this calendar year – with the Dutchman having completed the full 90 minutes on just 15 occasions.

With Benitez needing to generate funds to supplement his existing transfer budget, the Spaniard is keen to swiftly move on those players who no longer form part of his plans.

“We have some targets but right now it is too soon because some clubs do not know what the future holds for them but we will wait and see,” said the Liverpool manager.

“But our idea is to have players signed before pre-season begins because this would be perfect.

“It means you can start working with them and training with them with the ideas that you want to get across to them so that they can start putting them into practice on the pitch.”

Benitez also wants to solve the work permit problem for Argentine winger Sebastian Leto, who has spent the last season on loan to Greek club Olympiacos.

“We will try to work something out, I do not want him to go,” said the Liverpool manager.

The reasons for refusing the permit were his lack of international and club experience.

Benitez was critical of that decision, but is likely to sell Leto if the permit is refused once again.

im not allowed post the link as that is a privilege only allowed to people of 15+ posts, but its on liverpool daily post .co.uk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we're being too hasty in letting him go. He's a good player. He needs a to grow up a bit now, but we havent shown much patience.

Its a strange one, as he's not in the side, how do you approach replacing him? are we just looking for a cheap mediocre type player whos happy with 20mins a week?

He's had two seasons already. The middle to end of his first was his best, usually coming off the bench to score a few. But Rafa is not one to show too much patience to somebody who hasn't shown they're capable, or at least up for it. So having had the crap season he's had, with a number of high profile howlers and sitters missed, then all that can be expected, is that he'll be sent on his way.

Guest TK-421

It's hard to find any noticeable sign of improvement in his overall play since he arrived at Anfield. For that reason alone I think it is the right thing to let him go.

Think we're being too hasty in letting him go. He's a good player. He needs a to grow up a bit now, but we havent shown much patience.

Its a strange one, as he's not in the side, how do you approach replacing him? are we just looking for a cheap mediocre type player whos happy with 20mins a week?

I'd rather have that fat cow from Wife Swap playing for us.

Zero substance to that story, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't leave. There's nothinog for him here. £8m would be quite a tidy sum for him. I was excited when he arrived because he looked really, really sharp for Ajax and Holland, but he's been an unmitigated disaster. His attitude is the worst of all. Good luck to him elsewhere.

I hope the door doesn't hit his arse on the way out. He would do well to take a leaf out of his countryman Kuyt. Babel has more skill, pace but Kuyt pisses all over him. Attitude is sometimes more important than skill.

I doubt if we will get £8m. I think at the most it will be £6m plus addons (which we will never get).

Zero substance to that story, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't leave. There's nothinog for him here. £8m would be quite a tidy sum for him. I was excited when he arrived because he looked really, really sharp for Ajax and Holland, but he's been an unmitigated disaster. His attitude is the worst of all. Good luck to him elsewhere.

how has he been an unmitigated disaster? he's scored some important goals, just because the manager doesn't start him doesn't mean he's shit, a pub player, belongs in the third tier of English football

people go to ludicurous extremes on this forum

I hope the door doesn't hit his arse on the way out. He would do well to take a leaf out of his countryman Kuyt. Babel has more skill, pace but Kuyt pisses all over him. Attitude is sometimes more important than skill.

I doubt if we will get £8m. I think at the most it will be £6m plus addons (which we will never get).

I think we'll be lucky to get a million or so from a division 2 club, he's shit after all right?

I think Babel could be a real talent, but the whole DJing obsession and the trying to engineer a move back to Ajax because he didn't want to face the rigors of the Premiership indicates a mindset that will never achieve what he's capable of. He's another Stan Collymore. I'd love him to prove me wrong, but sadly I doubt he will.

I think we'll be lucky to get a million or so from a division 2 club, he's shit after all right?

I never said he is shit. Infact I said he has more skill and pace than Kuyt. I'm worried about his attitude though. At times he looks like he doesn't want to be at Anfield.

I said £6m because we are desperate to sell to build up out transfer kitty. That combined with his high wages means clubs will negotiate harder. Lets face it - its not as if we are going to have 5 or 6 clubs queuing to sign him, is it?

Too right...there's no point having skill and potential if you don't have work ethic and attitude. Saying that, the left wing position doesn't really suit him.

Kuyt has been absolutely fantastic this season, for a guy who doesn't have a great shot, isn't fast, tall or that skillfull (he has a nice touch every now and then), he exceeds his abilities week in week out.

I think Babel could be a real talent, but the whole DJing obsession and the trying to engineer a move back to Ajax because he didn't want to face the rigors of the Premiership indicates a mindset that will never achieve what he's capable of. He's another Stan Collymore. I'd love him to prove me wrong, but sadly I doubt he will.

I was about to say he was a big girly shithouse, but your description is more tactful and probably more accurate.

Kuyt has been absolutely fantastic this season, for a guy who doesn't have a great shot, isn't fast, tall or that skillfull (he has a nice touch every now and then), he exceeds his abilities week in week out.

To be fair, the manager has a huge amount of trust and confidence in Kuyt which can't be said about Babel. Which is what Rebel refers to I think.

However, when he had the chances I don't think Babel did enough to warrant that trust and confidence. In fact he wanted to go back to Ajax on a loan at the start of the season. This is the kind of attitude I don't want to see in a Liverpool player.

I dont think he wanted to leave because he didnt want to face the rigors of the prem, more likely because the manager never starts him or included him in squads?

he did the same thing to Keane, does it make Keane automatically shite? no, he's still a premier league player starting every game for Spurs and an important player for them

so lets not go to ludicurous extremes and condemn a player because Benitez never starts him, if I was a league manager considering the amount of comparative dross out there i'd take a chance on Babel in a heart beat and they'd get a good deal too. even if it was just for the bench he'd be valuable