You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It turned out to be a great decision given that Leiva got the penalty, BUT which ONE player in our team has got us out of a mess more than any other in our history?

Ian Rush.

I realise you are talking about the current team.

And there it is. The same answer we see when people have the nerve to actually agree with some of the things Rafa does, while also agreeing that he has fucked up on occasion also.

HAHAHAHAHA The irony.

Anyway to change the subject a little. Uodates on Alonso, Aquilani etc would be appreciated. Been working so don't know of anything.

He didn't mention anything about his intelligence you are right. He did say however that Gerrard was playing with his heart more than his brain. The lad had just dragged us back in to the game by the scruff of the neck with that heart which allowed him to carry the ball for 70 odd yards into the Everton penalty area, and that brain which allowed him to go down at the exact moment in the area when Hibbert was tugging him back. The same brain alas that got up, dusted himself down and allowed himself to have a very calm word in Clattenburgs ear about sending Hibbert off despite the chaos of the penalty decision and the Everton players and fans going mad.

I just had to check to see, and it took 18 minutes from the first penalty to the substitution. Surely, it is possible that Gerrard started playing less and less with his brain during this time? I don't remember all that much about the game (just the DRAMA!!) but the explanation seemed plausible enough. You have, of course, a very good point about the brainlessness of Sissoko, but my point is that there are two different debates here, one on what he did (rightly or wrongly) and the other on what he said about why he did it. I fell that the criticism should not be fierce on the last one.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Who said this?

“It is an absolute pleasure to play in this Liverpool team – I really mean that.

“We’ve got world-class players, we’ve turned in some fantastic displays of attacking football and some really, really solid defensive performances.

“There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We’re one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

“We’ve got absolutely everything you need to be successful at the very highest level.

“We’ve got players making an impact from the start and boys coming off the bench and affecting the game. I’ve got to pay tribute to the manager because it’s difficult for him picking only 11 players for the starting line-up.

“Keeping the lads on the bench and those who have missed out on the squad in the frame of mind to make a significant contribution is a difficult task, but Rafa’s been able to do that this season.

“That’s not an easy balancing act but he manages it brilliantly. He and his coaches keep everyone hungry and ready when they’ve been needed. "

"As a player now you can’t be selfish. Certainly, you can’t be selfish at Liverpool.

“It’s a squad game, and if you’re not in the starting line-up you can’t be thinking, ‘I’m giving in’.”

Gerrard added: “They’ve instilled this winning mentality in us. It’s simple really – it’s been drummed into us since the boss came to the club.

Well if you look back you'll see posters who appear to question every single decision or supposed decision taken by the manager. Every now and then they'll usually say they've not got it in for him at all. To me it looks like they hate him whether or not they use that word.

I find it baffling.

Again you use the word "hate" and I suspect I'm one of the people you refer to. So just to clarify.

Do I think we'll win the league with Rafa ? No, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Will we finish in the top four this season ? I think we might just scrape in but its not going to be pretty. Again I hope I'm proved wrong.

Do I think the current squad assembled by Rafa is good enough to cope if we lose Gerrard or Torres through injury ? Absolutely not.

Do I hate Rafa because of what I have written above ? No

There are probably some people who think the sun shines out of Rafa's arse and he can do no wrong, and there are definitely some people who have a bit of an agenda against him and think he can do nothing wrong. And both groups are stupid.

Who said this?

“It is an absolute pleasure to play in this Liverpool team – I really mean that.

“We’ve got world-class players, we’ve turned in some fantastic displays of attacking football and some really, really solid defensive performances.

“There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We’re one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

“We’ve got absolutely everything you need to be successful at the very highest level.

“We’ve got players making an impact from the start and boys coming off the bench and affecting the game. I’ve got to pay tribute to the manager because it’s difficult for him picking only 11 players for the starting line-up.

“Keeping the lads on the bench and those who have missed out on the squad in the frame of mind to make a significant contribution is a difficult task, but Rafa’s been able to do that this season.

“That’s not an easy balancing act but he manages it brilliantly. He and his coaches keep everyone hungry and ready when they’ve been needed. "

"As a player now you can’t be selfish. Certainly, you can’t be selfish at Liverpool.

“It’s a squad game, and if you’re not in the starting line-up you can’t be thinking, ‘I’m giving in’.”

Gerrard added: “They’ve instilled this winning mentality in us. It’s simple really – it’s been drummed into us since the boss came to the club.

Im tipping Steven Gerrard.

HAHAHAHAHA The irony.

Anyway to change the subject a little. Uodates on Alonso, Aquilani etc would be appreciated. Been working so don't know of anything.

Sorry about my very slow typing of the other posts, the thread takes twists and turns I can't follow! Anyway, no news, that's why we're stuck with the Oct'07 derby.:whistle:

Sorry about my very slow typing of the other posts, the thread takes twists and turns I can't follow! Anyway, no news, that's why we're stuck with the Oct'07 derby.:whistle:

What was the score?

The thing is, most people are well aware that the manager has fucked up on occasion. I could happily reel off a list of things he's done that I never agreed with at the time and were proved to be mistakes (signing Pennant, signing Bellamy, marginalising and then selling Crouch), or things I thought were strokes of genius but still turned out to be ill-judged (Morientes).

The difference is

a) most people also accept that on balance he's made far more brave and accurate calls than he has duff ones, and

b) the decisions he gets slated for by the usual suspects on here (and elsewhere) aren't the ones many of us feel are important. Personally, for instance, I think he's mishandled the Alonso situation only to the same extent as Xabi has proved himself over-motivated by money, so I don't think either party emerges well from it. Personally, I don't give a fuck if Adam Hammill makes the first team or not. Personally, I don't give a fuck if Carragher doesn't like playing right back. Etc etc etc.

No, the manager's not Shanks or Paisley. He's also not Souness, or Evans, or Houllier, someone whose judgement, personality and approach to football made me embarrassed to be a Red. Let's man up and get a bit of fucking perspective, eh?

Nice words but he used to wax lyrical about Houllier too!

So our captain is also a liar then?

New depths every day Rash

Dougie is right. We could easily win the league this season I honestly believe that but we could as easily finish 5th. There is no cast iron guarantee what will happen just because we challenged for the title last season for the first time in seven or eight years doesn't mean we will do this season. Some on here are taking it for granted we will win the title.

That old lying chestnut again UEM! Lets not go there again!

Why not?

Do you think that our Captain being economical with the truth when he gave those quotes?

A simple yes or no will suffice

Again you use the word "hate" and I suspect I'm one of the people you refer to. So just to clarify.

Do I think we'll win the league with Rafa ? No' date=' but I hope he proves me wrong.

Will we finish in the top four this season ? I think we might just scrape in but its not going to be pretty. Again I hope I'm proved wrong.

Do I think the current squad assembled by Rafa is good enough to cope if we lose Gerrard or Torres through injury ? Absolutely not.

Do I hate Rafa because of what I have written above ? No[/quote']

You obviously don't want him as our manager but I wasn't properly aware of what you've posted on this thread so wasn't referring to you.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Dougie is right. We could easily win the league this season I honestly believe that but we could as easily finish 5th. There is no cast iron guarantee what will happen just because we challenged for the title last season for the first time in seven or eight years doesn't mean we will do this season. Some on here are taking it for granted we will win the title.

I tend to agree. This baron spell is going to take some breaking. We cracked the ceiling last year but it is still going to be a big ask, but when it happens, it is going to be a taste that I'm going to savour.

Why not?

Do you think that our Captain being economical with the truth when he gave those quotes?

A simple yes or no will suffice

I think he was, but he isn't going to tell him he was wrong now is he?

FWIW I was fucking furious at Rafa for bringing Gerrard off, but who cares? We won it...Thats all that matters in a Derby.

I am saying I don't believe everything I read.

What about Gerrard's comments in paticular?