You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

I was joking RiS.

I just cant be arsed with the autopsy, who's to blame - who isnt to blame.

This has dragged on far too long and got far too boring far too quickly.

Ah, sorry. i agree about it dragging on, but if it ends in us getting 30m for a player instead of 23m then that is understandable. i don't see why Real should get him for less than we want when he still has 3 years on his contract and we don't need to sell him. It isn't often you have that strong a position.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with City is that bar Robino they don't have any players that would get into the first team of the top 4. Hence why people dismiss them.

Hmmmm, you don't think Tevez may stake a claim, and what of Barry, we've been chasing him for two years; i'm also a big fan of Ireland.

Ah, sorry. i agree about it dragging on, but if it ends in us getting 30m for a player instead of 23m then that is understandable. i don't see why Real should get him for less than we want when he still has 3 years on his contract and we don't need to sell him. It isn't often you have that strong a position.

No I totally agree.

I'm with the Club on this and if people see that as siding with Rafa then so be it.

The bottom line is whether its for money, because of Rafa or because the Galacticos programme is too much of a chance to turn down he wants out and we shouldnt pander to that.

We employ him, we should decide what happens to him and how much we want for him.

Interesting; it is going to be very tough next season, City concern me despite everybody dismissing them, they have no European football to distract them and if they are going well they will be able to bring on board any player they fancy in the window, their manager is their achilles heal in my view, when they address that the sky's the limit for them. I don't think Arsenal are going to be the duffers everyone imagines either, they've a lot of players coming back from injury and in that young lad Wilshere they just might have a sensation on their hands, Utd and Chelsea will be Utd and Chelsea; top four should not be sniffed at i'm afraid and to actually win it would be a magnificent achievement, here's hoping.

That sums it up nicely....

In addition, Villa and Tottenham can surprise a few people this year I think.... Of course you never know with them, as they have a tendency to also surprise on the downside.....

Hmmmm, you don't think Tevez may stake a claim, and what of Barry, we've been chasing him for two years; i'm also a big fan of Ireland.

also Adebayor and Toure were playing for a top 4 team only a few weeks ago

the ingredients are there for a decent team but its City, they'll mess it up, its what they do

The problem with City is that bar Robino they don't have any players that would get into the first team of the top 4. Hence why people dismiss them.

Apart from Tevez, Barry, Adebayor, Ireland, SWP, Bridge and Toure.

Five of the above have already played for Top 4 sides, while Barry and Ireland would not struggle to get a game for most of them either.

Other than that, spot on as usual.

I don't rate Barry.. where would Tevez play at United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool? His best position is up front, who would he replace?

Rooney, Berbatov?

Gerrard, Torres?

Van Persie, Eduardo?

Drogba, Anelka?

Ireland is decent I guess but on the whole my point is correct I think, their team has a load of nearly men and mercenaries in it.

Two of whom are paid well beyond double your "spend it and shut it" theory.

Rafa doesn't have favourites?

I'm not asking for Ronald McDonald, but since the spice boys and the obvious need for a 'my way or the highway' manager we've gone a bit too far the other way and Alonso will be the first major malfunction.

Who knows, maybe we could have done with keeping Crouch, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Arbeloa or even Keane too? All of them had rational reasons for leaving for sure, but some smidgeon of a differing approach other than "if you don't like it fuck off" might have worked?

As others have said above, it's all 'moo' anyway. He isn't going to change.

In terms of the players you mention (two Arbeloas ?) all of them bar Keane were offered new contracts, Crouch, Arbeloa and Hyypia, they chose to leave. Of course you can argue that a more friendly, arm round the shoulder approach may have helped, but crucially, all three weren't first choice. G&T were the strikeforce of choice, with Keane also arriving as competition, we've just signed Johnson so the writing is on the wall for Bob and Hyypia hasnt been first choice for a couple of seasons now.

So IMHO, all three you mention, whilst good players in their own right, moved on due to their desire to play, and better/younger players coming in to replace them not because of Rafa or something wrong in his style.

Of course I agree we'd be stronger as a squad if Crouch and Bob were still here, but as a team, G&T, Agger/Skrtel and Johnson are better than the ones we let go.

In terms of the players you mention (two Arbeloas ?) all of them bar Keane were offered new contracts, Crouch, Arbeloa and Hyypia, they chose to leave. Of course you can argue that a more friendly, arm round the shoulder approach may have helped, but crucially, all three weren't first choice. G&T were the strikeforce of choice, with Keane also arriving as competition, we've just signed Johnson so the writing is on the wall for Bob and Hyypia hasnt been first choice for a couple of seasons now.

So IMHO, all three you mention, whilst good players in their own right, moved on due to their desire to play, and better/younger players coming in to replace them not because of Rafa or something wrong in his style.

Of course I agree we'd be stronger as a squad if Crouch and Bob were still here, but as a team, G&T, Agger/Skrtel and Johnson are better than the ones we let go.

I meant Riise not 2 Bobs, and while I wasn't that arsed to see him go in terms of squad even he would make us stronger.

The Gerrard quote that came later from UEM stated that Rafa was "excellent" in keeping bench players happy. That would not appear to be entirely the case when 5 players we'd be better of with leave in just over a year and two others want to. 3, if you believe this Lucas nonsense.

On a case by case basis they're all understandable and it's by no means easy to retain such players' services, especially with the squawking brattery of the modern footballer.

Considering we are (were?) 95% of the way there, we're down to the finest details and maybe this is one of them. If Rafa can't get good players to stay, it is going to be a problem.

In Sami's case, with his last proper appearance an immaculate one at the home of the champions, and considering Agger's still troubling fitness record, some level of personal persuasion would have been nice. Claiming you were only going to give him one minute on his final day after ten years' exemplary service would not, in my view, qualify.

Edited by goatboy59

Apart from Tevez, Barry, Adebayor, Ireland, SWP, Bridge and Toure.

Five of the above have already played for Top 4 sides, while Barry and Ireland would not struggle to get a game for most of them either.

Other than that, spot on as usual.

Yeah, but apart from Robinho, Tevez, barry, Adebayor, Ireland, SWP, Bridge and Toure, who have they got?

I'm quiet fond of Bob's approach. There's a number of other anecdotes where Rush portrays Paisley as an uncompromising figure, determined to build a ruthless football team, rather than a touchy feely coffee morning group.

But Bob was wrong and a cunt. Imaging all the trophies he could have won if he only patted the players on the back more.

The missing link, is of course success. If Rafa eventually makes us half as successful as Bob, or Shanks, people will applaud how he achieved it, if the title challenges fade and he goes, then as with Evans it will be his man management that is questioned and blamed (though wether that is really true Im not sure).

Personally, i dont think you can doubt his man management as it's worked before, as seen in his La Liga success. Rafas biggest hurdle, bar the financial muscle of United, Chelsea and now cieth, has been his grasp of how to control games in England, or indeed, whether he needs to/can do that here and how to rotate, without having a too negative effect on your team.

Yeah, but apart from Robinho, Tevez, barry, Adebayor, Ireland, SWP, Bridge and Toure, who have they got?

Given, Santa Cruz, Bellamy and Richards.

I meant Riise not 2 Bobs, and while I wasn't that arsed to see him go in terms of squad even he would make us stronger.

The Gerrard quote that came later from UEM stated that Rafa was "excellent" in keeping bench players happy. That would not appear to be entirely the case when 5 players we'd be better of with leave in just over a year and two others want to. 3, if you believe this Lucas nonsense.

On a case by case basis they're all understandable and it's by no means easy to retain such players' services, especially with the squawking brattery of the modern footballer.

Considering we are (were?) 95% of the way there, we're down to the finest details and maybe this is one of them. If Rafa can't get good players to stay, it is going to be a problem.

In Sami's case, with his last proper appearance an immaculate one at the home of the champions, and considering Agger's still troubling fitness record, some level of personal persuasion would have been nice. Claiming you were only going to give him one minute on his final day after ten years' exemplary service would not, in my view, qualify.

Spot on again.

I was going to point out the stuff about keeping the players on the bench happy myself but you saved me the trouble.

Sorry but what is the point?

The players left because those in the first team where much better, Torres is better than Crouch, Agger and Skrtle are better than Hypia, Johnson is better than Arbeloa and Insua and Aurelio are better than Riise.

So what are you suggesting, Rotation?

Sorry but what is the point?

The players left because those in the first team where much better, Torres is better than Crouch, Agger and Skrtle are better than Hypia, Johnson is better than Arbeloa and Insua and Aurelio are better than Riise.

So what are you suggesting, Rotation?

Hyypia is better than Agger and Skrtel, Riise is better than Aurelio and Insua and I have huge doubts about Johnson being a better defender than Arbeloa.

Its easy this.