You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hey Ghostie, I didn't drink for 18 months for medical reasons. I got used to it and wondered why I drank in the first place. I now love drinking again, in fact I'm going to make my own ale this year.

It's good you're stepping back, it takes a big man (not just a big face) to do it.

Good luck, I just became retarded when sober but that was due to the other medicine I was on. You look a laugh so soon you'll get your energy back and enjoy going out with your mates until they start shouting. Your days will be longer too, which is a good thing!

It depends where you go.

I didn't drink for a while back in my uni days and used to just drive us to various places - better bars than we'd normally go to, out of town, and it was boss. If you go to decent bars where people aren't getting wrecked then it's not a problem, obviously there are various clubs where that's not possible - but they were never my scene at the best of times.

Just stick with your mates when they're going to the more chilled bars and then go home when they move on to somewhere mad.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know someone who doesn't drink and isn't a total oddball? I don't mean that not drinking makes them odd, it just seems to go hand in hand that the one who take morale stance not to drink, are well, odd.

I wouldn't ask them to babysit, let's put it that way!

Not saying that tee-totallers are paedophiles by the way. Or am I?

Does anyone know someone who doesn't drink and isn't a total oddball? I don't mean that not drinking makes them odd, it just seems to go hand in hand that the one who take morale stance not to drink, are well, odd.

The only people I know who don't drink have had a bad experience with it, alcoholics and what not. If you meet a big, bald Glaswegian with a preference for drinking pub coke, steer well clear.

I think that statement alone sums up the drinking culture of this country. I know a few people who dont drink. My sister used to live in Spain. I used to spend a lot of time over there and got to know many Spanish people who didnt drink at all. I enjoy a godd session but if someone tells me they dont drink for whatever reason i wouldnt think they were odd.

Good luck, Ghostie.

I have the same problem with the demon weed. I can't leave the stuff alone when i have it and am just stoned all the time.

Haven't touched it in a while and my life is so much better.

One day i'd like to think i can have the occasional toke and leave it at that but it isn't going to happen for a long while yet

I think that statement alone sums up the drinking culture of this country. I know a few people who dont drink. My sister used to live in Spain. I used to spend a lot of time over there and got to know many Spanish people who didnt drink at all. I enjoy a godd session but if someone tells me they dont drink for whatever reason i wouldnt think they were odd.

Run, you fools. You misunderstood. I wasn't saying people were odd because they didnt drink; it just so happens that people who don't drink are often oddballs and would probably still be oddballs even if they drank.

Pat, firstly, it takes a lot of balls to admit you had a problem (which makes it sound worse than it probably is, apologies) so fair play to you for that. I hardly drink at all nowadays, mostly I don't get time for it, but when I do it's never more than a quiet few beers either at home/mates or in the pub. I got bored of going 'into town' to drink, the same dull bars, the same people and the hassle that it can bring. I'm a really old, boring 23 year old!

At the minute I'm too busy to worry about having something to do, but when I'm not I fins it's easy to find things. You save a lot of money not drinking so you can easily afford to do things like go see a film or go see some local stand up comedy; as you're there for something other than the booze it's easy to avoid, or at the very least drink in moderation. In the summer I find that me and the missus will just jump in the car and head out to the Peak District or somewhere similar. If we head out a bit later it means that by the time you've had a walk round and some tea (plus Bakewell tart if you're over that way) that it can be fairly late by the time you get back. I find it easy to do really simple things with either the missus or even my close friends. Doing something like that and then chilling out in front of a film or whatever is ace.

I'm thinking I should really take a break. We went out on Thursday afternoon for a piss up and ended up in Germany with three of the lads and we only got back yesterday. Seriously good laugh and was funny booking flights on the internet in the Library whilst pissed but I really need to calm down for a bit.

Why?

Sorry, Jules it was a tongue in cheek, neigh, jokular effort on my part to show how you were a shining example of how my previous scurrillous remark how non-drinkers were wronguns, was bang on the money. I know you're not really an oddball or a child molestor. Actually I don't but I trust that you aren't.

Are we cool? Do I need to check my CP

Sorry, Jules it was a tongue in cheek, neigh, jokular effort on my part to show how you were a shining example of how my previous scurrillous remark how non-drinkers were wronguns, was bang on the money. I know you're not really an oddball or a child molestor. Actually I don't but I trust that you aren't.

Gotcha.

Why yes. Yes you do.

• 5 years later...