You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How good is he? I was only thinking today about how I used to await every album he released as a younger lad and the impact his music had on me and me mates growing up. I know alot of people will say "He wishes he was black he's a nob etc." but he had the crossover appeal without ever compromising himself as an artist. Rappers today have albums with 20 songs about cars, rims, girls and bling bling but Eminems albums were always controversial and extremely vulgar. But young girls bought them as much as older fans. What exactly about raping his own mother in an anal way appealed to teenage girls?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His first album was decent.

His second album was very good.

His thrid album was slightly weaker than the first.

His fouth album, bar a couple of tracks was poor.

All IMO of course!

Not interested in anything he does these days, like the whole nu-metal scene, I found Eminem had a pretty limited shelf life.

His first album was decent.

His second album was very good.

His thrid album was slightly weaker than the first.

His fouth album, bar a couple of tracks was poor.

All IMO of course!

Not interested in anything he does these days, like the whole nu-metal scene, I found Eminem had a pretty limited shelf life.

Slim Shady LP : 8/10 (I love it simply because of how crazy Em is on it. His rhymes and flow are insane on this)

Marshall Mathers LP : 10/10 (The Way I Am is the summary of everything thats amazing about this album)

The Eminem Show : 9/10 (Beats are crrrrazy, Ems lyrics are slightly weaker then his last 2 but still a great album)

Encore : 7/10 (...the less said the better)

By the way here's the first track he's released in a while...it's just a freestyle but to think this is Em just messing around and not trying is scary. He said it took him 10 minutes to make the beat, rap his verses and produce the track. He also said a new albums coming "Relapse".

WWF_9VBj6SE

From NME.com today:

Eminem has personally announced that the title of his new album will be ‘Relapse’, and says it was mostly produced by longtime collaborator Dr. Dre.

The rapper announced the news yesterday (October 15) on his Sirius radio station Shade 45, during a segment which was touted as the ‘on air launch party’ for his book ‘The Way I Am’.

In addition to the news of his sixth album, he previewed a new track from the release entitled ‘I’m Having A Relapse’.

A release date for the disc has yet to be confirmed, but 50 Cent hinted during the broadcast that it could be just a couple of months away.

Eminem names new album, debuts single on Sirius | News | NME.COM

Slim Shady LP : 8/10 (I love it simply because of how crazy Em is on it. His rhymes and flow are insane on this)

Marshall Mathers LP : 10/10 (The Way I Am is the summary of everything thats amazing about this album)

The Eminem Show : 9/10 (Beats are crrrrazy, Ems lyrics are slightly weaker then his last 2 but still a great album)

Encore : 7/10 (...the less said the better)

By the way here's the first track he's released in a while...it's just a freestyle but to think this is Em just messing around and not trying is scary. He said it took him 10 minutes to make the beat, rap his verses and produce the track. He also said a new albums coming "Relapse".

WWF_9VBj6SE

if thats a freestyle off the top of the dome then i am a fucking monkey! still, i rated him as a rapper but he has gone downhill since the eminem show. His last album stank and he is a shocking producer! would love to hear what his lyrics would sound like next to a premo/Pete rock beat....

Probably one of the most important voices in music from the past couple of decades. Constantly challenging and interesting whilst sounding good. Also had the humour to laugh at himself, not a massively common thing in a lot of mainstream rappers.

He's doing an interview with Zane Lowe on Monday by the way, if anyone's interested.

Probably one of the most important voices in music from the past couple of decades. Constantly challenging and interesting whilst sounding good. Also had the humour to laugh at himself, not a massively common thing in a lot of mainstream rappers.

He's doing an interview with Zane Lowe on Monday by the way, if anyone's interested.

I actually agree with Monty.

It's not really the kind of music I listen to, but he is/was immense. A real talent. Add to Lose Yourself, Stan and many more. In a relatively short career he has something like 350 songs in the ether.

I actually never bought a lot of his later stuff, because it's just not the kind of music I feel like listening to very often when I'm chilling out, but I'm thinking now I have probably missed out.

Bet his new album is brilliant too.

VOLMVQa0KD8

I remember an article once calling Rory Bremner the leader of the opposition at one point due to his work with Bird and Fortune, Eminem had that same kind of voice of opposition but on a massively more important global scale. The one thing that stands out for me is the intelligence behind most of the songs, and the desire to cut through the bullshit.

of course rappers write lyrics, its their main bloody skill! some rappers done write there own e.g. Dre, but most do...

I didn't mean they get someone else to do it for them, I meant do they write lyrics in the traditional sense like sitting down with a pad and paper and trying to make a new song.

I imagine them to just suddenly reel off a complete song and that's it.

And would they call it 'Writing lyrics' ala Gary Barlow.

talented lad but a bit self obsessed.

i wish more US mc's let people from outside the states produce their work as i think an alternate approach and outlook would do wonders for the genre as a whole.

i think that a lot of really talented mc's hav'nt fulfilled their potential.

I didn't mean they get someone else to do it for them, I meant do they write lyrics in the traditional sense like sitting down with a pad and paper and trying to make a new song.

notorious B.I.G and Jay Z are well known (or WERE well known, in biggies case) for making up lyrics in their head and then just reeling them off when they get on the mic...some skill, that

freestyling is a huge part of hip hop and this is the art of making up lyrics on the spot off the top of the head.

moot point really as all lyrics whether created on the spot or after months of fine tuning are, lyrics nonetheless.

id imagine that most of the best lyrics in any genre are the ones that pop into the writers head without a huge deal of effort.

thus the difference between the talented ones and us mere mortals.

Yes many commercial acts do prepare their lyrics and it is not the true art. Underground rappers hate these mofo's.

Eminem, I must have been the first person in the UK to own his 1st album and his best work was on that album, his 2nd was almost absolute shit apart from about 5 songs and he has gone downhill since then. It's the old issue though for me, he doesn't need to make his next song, he still has the talent but is lost in saying something of substance and shock which becomes less effective as time blows.

Girls like being shocked out of their minds but to me it was always about how 'tight' his lyrics were in terms of their sharpness and how they appear like they were just made for the music etc. Dr Dre is a lazy bugger and Eminem is now addicted to painkillers so I can't even be bothered anymore because I don't think he can.

I have to say that I've never been an Eminem fan. Whilst I can appreciate his lyrical skill, I find it all a bit soulless. As Olly said, he's got a whiney voice. Also, I'm not a fan of most of Dre's productions; there's no subtlety to them, in my opinion.

I was really into Eminem's stuff when I was younger, but after the 2nd album I lost intrest, grew up I guess. I hardly listen to rap anymore with the exception of Lupe Fiasco. Got the lads album on my iPod and he's awesome.

This, by the by, was Eminems best song (the 2nd verse rules):

[YOUTUBE]DFPShUSgFyI[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Wig