You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I keep hearing good things about Firefox but I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to web browsers. I like to 'drive' when I'm online and prefer not to have things done for me. Does Firefox take over a bit? Also, does it slow down your operating system, given that it potentially does more in the background than IE? Is Firefox spyware free? Is it used commercially or just by joe public?

Cheers

RL

All I know Lurtzy, is that firefox is a better, easier browser to use. Its so much better when it comes to watching streams aswell. I think it uses up more memory than IE, so it may slow your computer down if its not that fast. Thank the lord for tabbed browsing aswell.

All I know Lurtzy, is that firefox is a better, easier browser to use. Its so much better when it comes to watching streams aswell. I think it uses up more memory than IE, so it may slow your computer down if its not that fast. Thank the lord for tabbed browsing aswell.

Internet Explorer 7 has tabbed browsing as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Help!

I downloaded the update of firefox last night and ever since loading up pages is taking ages!! Doing my head in!

there was a thread some time ago that explained how to speed firefox up.

do a search and you shouldn't have that problem any more (assuming firefox is the problem)

Used Firefox for the last 3/4 years but just got new versions of Windows XP, Office Pro 2007 and Norton installed for free (from work) for my PC at home. Using IE7 now as it was just the default and see no reason to go back to Firefox. PC is a lot faster. Think Firefox was doing lots a work 'behind the scenes' and slowing my PC down. IE7 has tabs as well.

That said, if i had to pay for all the MS & Norton stuff myself i'd just fuck it off and use Firefox and AVG and turn the MS updates off! Especially that 'Genuine Advantage' bollocks!

Think Firefox was doing lots a work 'behind the scenes' and slowing my PC down. IE7 has tabs as well.

Yeah Firefox 2 used a load of RAM I think, (I'm not brilliant with this stuff, just what I read, and then kind of agreed with after checking in task manager.) but when Firefox 3 came out it apparently got fixed.

The only wierd things now are that with 3 I check the task manager and it still seems to take up a shitload sometimes, and even if it doesn't use as many, I've been having quite a few crashes lately. That will probably be the bugs that are still floating around after 3 came out though, and once 1 or 3 more updates have gone by, I'm hoping this thing is back to normal, as I can't stand IE.

I've been learning some CSS and Web Design stuff on and off for a decent part of this year, and IE is well known for being a total nightmare when it comes to cross-browser testing. I confirmed that for myself pretty quickly once I'd started aswell.

Not sure about the chrome thing being the same as firefox. I'm just trying it out now though, and apart from the first few minutes of weirdness where I couldn't get bookmarks or a homepage, it's now sorted and seems fine. There'll probably be all types of updates and add-ons once it's been out a bit longer too.