You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFO's: do you believe?

Kopite

Of course they exist. there are probably thousands of planets hosting lifeforms far more intelligent than us. when you think how far humans have developed , and we have only been on the planet for what in historical terms is less than the blink of an eye. There is a book called 'footprints of the gods' which has some very interesting theories. I honestly think we are getting closer and closer to meeting alien life, probably in the next 20 years.

Of course they exist. there are probably thousands of planets hosting lifeforms far more intelligent than us. when you think how far humans have developed , and we have only been on the planet for what in historical terms is less than the blink of an eye. There is a book called 'footprints of the gods' which has some very interesting theories. I honestly think we are getting closer and closer to meeting alien life, probably in the next 20 years.

Yeah but do you believe in ufos not the possibility of life on other planets.

Guest San Don

I know for a FACT that aliens aint going to spend years of their lives travelling ten's of light years in something not much bigger than a couple of family sized cars to do a low level fly past rather than land in the midst of civilisation and find out more about us.

There arent any alien 'UFOs' because there are no aliens in our galaxy capable of interstellar flight. FACT!

Guest Pistonbroke

Do they exist...maybe? But I think those people who think they have seen one have indeed seen some prototype military aircraft. If the Government get the people to believe in them they can spunk billions of tax payers money into the various space programmes. Who will benefit from these space programmes? The fucking rich...the government...and definitely not us!!!

Guest San Don
Do they exist...maybe? But I think those people who think they have seen one have indeed seen some prototype military aircraft. If the Government get the people to believe in them they can spunk billions of tax payers money into the various space programmes. Who will benefit from these space programmes? The fucking rich...the government...and definitely not us!!!

Exist in this galaxy? Unlikely. In the universe, there may be one or two other intelligent civilisations scattered in Milky Way sized galaxies.

People tend to think because there is intelligent life on this planet, it must arise on any similar planet. Not so. The dinosaurs existed for over 150 million years yet they didnt develope intelligence.

Microbial life may be common throughout the Milky Way but again, there's no guarantee that microbial life will develop into multi cellular life never mind intelligence.

The Milky Way is nearly 13 billion years old. If an intelligent species arose before us, they could have colonised the entire galaxy in 50 million years or less even using space ships no quicker than our current technology today.

Yet, there's no sign of colonisation outside of this planet.

Guest Pistonbroke
Exist in this galaxy? Unlikely. In the universe, there may be one or two other intelligent civilisations scattered in Milky Way sized galaxies.

People tend to think because there is intelligent life on this planet, it must arise on any similar planet. Not so. The dinosaurs existed for over 150 million years yet they didnt develope intelligence.

Microbial life may be common throughout the Milky Way but again, there's no guarantee that microbial life will develop into multi cellular life never mind intelligence.

The Milky Way is nearly 13 billion years old. If an intelligent species arose before us, they could have colonised the entire galaxy in 50 million years or less even using space ships no quicker than our current technology today.

I did say maybe...as in nobody can prove they do not exist within our own galaxy or indeed the universe. Plus even though there is a high probability of life on some way off planrt it doesn't mean they are so far advanced as ourselves or further down the line.

Personally I don't believe in the hype, and like I have stated above it is just the governments around the World getting your average thick cunt to believe in such things so as they get an easy ride on spunking billions on shite that doesn't help those who pay for it. Imagine this money being paid into something which could help us. I also believe that a cure for cancer etc could be found...but hey, your average silly cunt will give up money to search for a cure and keep tons of money grabbing twats in a job searching for something they probably could/may have solved...but that is only my opinion on things and i pretty much don't trust any person in charge of anything as it always boils down to money and power.

Guest San Don
I did say maybe...as in nobody can prove they do not exist within our own galaxy or indeed the universe.

The test has to be one to prove they exist if they are that common. There is not a shred of evidence another intelligent civilisation is alive in this galaxy right now. Our star is less than half the age of the galaxy. In fact its nearer a quarter of the age of the galaxy. There is no sign of any other intelligent civilisation out there.

Plus even though there is a high probability of life on some way off planrt it doesn't mean they are so far advanced as ourselves or further down the line.

You say there is a high probability of life on some planet but that is just supposition. As Fermi said, 'where are they all if intelligent life abounds in the galaxy?'

And if they are so advanced to us, how come we dont see Dyson Shells or von neuman or bracewell probes sent out by these superior beings to gather energy and more information?

answer, cos they arent out there.

Personally I don't believe in the hype, and like I have stated above it is just the governments around the World getting your average thick cunt to believe in such things so as they get an easy ride on spunking billions on shite that doesn't help those who pay for it. Imagine this money being paid into something which could help us. I also believe that a cure for cancer etc could be found...but hey, your average silly cunt will give up money to search for a cure and keep tons of money grabbing twats in a job searching for something they probably could/may have solved...but that is only my opinion on things and i pretty much don't trust any person in charge of anything as it always boils down to money and power.

So I dont follow this. Are you saying Governments encourage people to believe in UFO's?

Guest Pistonbroke

Yes i do...if people believe then they will not put up a fight against money being spunked on space programmes.

You also seem pretty certain that their are no lifeforms out there...bollocks!! How can you or anyone else prove otherwise? One single organism is a form of life...if a planet in some far off galaxy has water then the likelihood an organism will exist is very high. You don't have to have intelligent life form as we have on our own planet. We evolve all the time and discover things frequently what many people in the past would think impossible. You say there is no shred of evidence that there is a sign of life on another planet out there, since when has our intelligence been the say all and end all in a vast cosmos? We are fuck all in the big scheme of things yet we think we are so special.

Guest San Don
Yes i do...if people believe then they will not put up a fight against money being spunked on space programmes.

You also seem pretty certain that their are no lifeforms out there...bollocks!! How can you or anyone else prove otherwise? One single organism is a form of life...if a planet in some far off galaxy has water then the likelihood an organism will exist is very high. You don't have to have intelligent life form as we have on our own planet. We evolve all the time and discover things frequently what many people in the past would think impossible. You say there is no shred of evidence that there is a sign of life on another planet out there, since when has our intelligence been the say all and end all in a vast cosmos? We are fuck all in the big scheme of things yet we think we are so special.

Bollocks yerself. I said no intelligent life in this galaxy other than us not, that there are no lifeforms out there.

In the absence of any other intelligent civilisations in this galaxy, we are special.

In answer to my statement about no (intelligent) life out there you say "since when has our intelligence been the say all and end all in a vast cosmos?"

Unfortunately you miss the obvious and it isnt anything to do with 'our' intelligence. It is to do with the complete absence of evidence that there is any other civilisation out there.

There's no sign of any intelligence creating a device to harness the energy of their sun. Check.

There's no evidence of any intelligence dumping unwanted waste products of civilisation into their sun. Check.

There's no evidence of artificial communication signals from or created by an intelligent civilisation. Check.

There's no evidence of von neuman or bracewell probes from any intelligent civilisation. Check.

There's no evidence of any pre existing intelligent civilisation colonising the galaxy. Check.

And that's just in this galaxy.

I could go on but you get the picture.

Bollocks yerself. I said no intelligent life in this galaxy other than us not, that there are no lifeforms out there.

In the absence of any other intelligent civilisations in this galaxy, we are special.

In answer to my statement about no (intelligent) life out there you say "since when has our intelligence been the say all and end all in a vast cosmos?"

Unfortunately you miss the obvious and it isnt anything to do with 'our' intelligence. It is to do with the complete absence of evidence that there is any other civilisation out there.

There's no sign of any intelligence creating a device to harness the energy of their sun. Check.

There's no evidence of any intelligence dumping unwanted waste products of civilisation into their sun. Check.

There's no evidence of artificial communication signals from or created by an intelligent civilisation. Check.

There's no evidence of von neuman or bracewell probes from any intelligent civilisation. Check.

There's no evidence of any pre existing intelligent civilisation colonising the galaxy. Check.

What if the intelligent life are like Ewoks and they don't have metal to build spaceships only wood to build their treehouses? I mean, look at the poor bastards. They probably don't have toilet paper or pizzas or anything.

ewoks.jpg

Guest Pistonbroke

I don't get the picture at all, well not yours...you obviously have all the answers to galactic questions in your opinion. As humans on planet earth we have only just scratched the surface of this subject. As far as your checks go.....how many of those will prove to be wrong somewhere down the line? You can't prove this as indeed I can't, yet you seem to think you are right.

Guest Pistonbroke

I don't get the picture at all, well not yours...you obviously have all the answers to galactic questions in your opinion. As humans on planet earth we have only just scratched the surface of this subject. As far as your checks go.....how many of those will prove to be wrong somewhere down the line? You can't prove this as indeed I can't, yet you seem to think you are right.

That is utterly close minded and not supported at all by what alot of scientists in astrophysics and biology believe.

Like you say though, since what we like to believe is intelligent life rised on earth, it does not have to do so elsewhere, but it is however proof that it can happen. NASA studies based on data from the Kepler space telescope shows that there are at least 100 billion sun like stars in the galaxy, and based on what Kepler show the initial estimate was at least 2.7 percent of those stars are likely to have earth like planets. What's more, astrophysics have proven that all the building blocks for life as we know it are the most common elements in the known universe.

As for no signs of colonisation outside of this planet ?

That says absolutely fuck all, considering we've not explored a tiny fraction of a percent of the planets sustainable to hold life as we know it.

Guest San Don
That is utterly close minded and not supported at all by what alot of scientists in astrophysics and biology believe.

Like you say though, since what we like to believe is intelligent life rised on earth, it does not have to do so elsewhere, but it is however proof that it can happen. NASA studies based on data from the Kepler space telescope shows that there are at least 100 billion sun like stars in the galaxy, and based on what Kepler show the initial estimate was at least 2.7 percent of those stars are likely to have earth like planets. What's more, astrophysics have proven that all the building blocks for life as we know it are the most common elements in the known universe.

As for no signs of colonisation outside of this planet ?

That says absolutely fuck all, considering we've not explored a tiny fraction of a percent of the planets sustainable to hold life as we know it.

Actually, if you do a lot of research on this, youll find it isnt a 'closed mind and that a lot of the scientific community dont think intelligent life is common throughout the Milky Way galaxy.

Far too many in the scientific community are getting carried away with the ability of life to exist in very inhospitable places on earth as being a sign that life in the galaxy is common.

It, life, may be common in the MW galaxy. But, if it is common, it is likely to be on a microbial level rather than multi cellular, intelligent level.

And despite what open mindedness you follow, even muti cellular lifeform isnt guaranteed to develop into intelligence. The dinosaurs were and are the most longed lived creatures on the planet, lasting some 150 million years. Yet, they were virtually as stupid when the became extinct as they were when they rose to dominance.

In the 3.5 billion years that life is known to have existed on this planet, it is only in the last few millenia that intelligence has arisen. So, on a geological timescale, ascendency to intelligence is the exception rather than the norm.

Its very easy to fall into an anthropological mindset and claim intelligence is common in the galaxy just because 'we' are here and 'we' are intelligent.

But you simply have to look at the wider picture. The age of the galaxy is somewhere in the region of 12 billion years ie a little bit less than the age of the universe.

Although there are plenty of stars in the MW galaxy, they aint all the right kind of heavy metal bearing star from which rocky planets tend to form around.

Any intelligent civilisation may have risen and fallen before we came along. In fact, its highly likely on a cosmolgical timescale, that intelligence if it has arisen, may have done so a few time over a period of 12 billion years. But, the chances of that or those intelligences co existing at the same cosmological time are also very slim.

In other words, there could have been 1 or many intelligent species arise and go extinct before we came along. This gives rise to the possibility that many intelligent civilisations may have arisen over the cosmological age of the galaxy but, few if any would co exist at the same time.

As for the kepler mission, its findings are intreging. But some massive assumptions are being made in the early analysis of its data. it is simply irresponsible to claim nearly 3 per cent of star will have 'earth like' planets (yet another term picked up by many meaning a planet the same size as earth, in a similar orbit to earth, containing oceans and plate tetonics when it doesnt mean this at all).

Although kepler has found a few red dwarfs that appear to host a planet in the habitable zone, it has not yet found one sun like star with an earth type planet in the habitable zone. Yet far too many people are now claiming life will be abundant because they have found a few red dwarfs with planets in the HZ. An utterly ridiculous proposition.

But dont take my word for all this. Instead, read 'The Eerie Silence' by professor Paul Davis. And hes chair of the committee set up by SETI on what to do if a confirmed signal from an ETI is ever received.