You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fish and Chips

Section_31

As you can imagine,  fish and chips are fairly thin on the ground in Vietnam. Hoian however does have one that specializes in fish and chips,   called chips'n'fish ( which helps it show up on Facebook)
It's run by a really nice couple  who have had an absolute horror of a time over the last 12-18 months. A typhoon, about 7 floods, lockdowns due to Covid and no tourists local or O/S have   really hit them hard.
I always try to lunch there when I have to do a visa run to Hoian every month.
Hand cut chips and battered fish (usually barracuda straight off the boat) are absolutely delicious, certainly better than nearly all Australian chippies who invariably use frozen chips and usually crappy frozen imported fish, ironically usually  Vietnamese catfish (basa).
They're not cheap by Vietnamese standards, about £5.50 a serve (4 pieces of fish and lots of chips) and they don't have vinegar but it makes my trip worthwhile!

IMG_20200929_125803.jpg

FB_IMG_1621647887180.jpg

FB_IMG_1621647965113.jpg

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

A squeeze of fresh lime is almost an acceptable substitute!

I’ve never tried it mate and never will unless I find myself in the arse end of Vietnam eating fish and chips without any vinegar. 

17 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

If Stig made it to Vietnam he'd go the same way as Thich Quang Duc.

You're just jealous I'd be getting a blow job in cargo shorts while you're wiping your arse with a sock 

9 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

As you can imagine,  fish and chips are fairly thin on the ground in Vietnam. Hoian however does have one that specializes in fish and chips,   called chips'n'fish ( which helps it show up on Facebook)
It's run by a really nice couple  who have had an absolute horror of a time over the last 12-18 months. A typhoon, about 7 floods, lockdowns due to Covid and no tourists local or O/S have   really hit them hard.
I always try to lunch there when I have to do a visa run to Hoian every month.
Hand cut chips and battered fish (usually barracuda straight off the boat) are absolutely delicious, certainly better than nearly all Australian chippies who invariably use frozen chips and usually crappy frozen imported fish, ironically usually  Vietnamese catfish (basa).
They're not cheap by Vietnamese standards, about £5.50 a serve (4 pieces of fish and lots of chips) and they don't have vinegar but it makes my trip worthwhile!

IMG_20200929_125803.jpg

FB_IMG_1621647887180.jpg

FB_IMG_1621647965113.jpg

The wife has been blathering on about trying a new Vietnamese takeaway near us. I’ve been operating as a cunning, yet soothing, delayer but if this is on the menu I’m in.

We have our own vinegar. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

The wife has been blathering on about trying a new Vietnamese takeaway near us. I’ve been operating as a cunning, yet soothing, delayer but if this is on the menu I’m in.

We have our own vinegar. 

I had Vietnamese food in Oz. Excellent.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Never had it. I’ve had plenty of Chinese, Thai, Indonesian, *Lancashire* dishes so not sure why I’ve missed the boat with Vietnam.

I shall report back next week once I’ve sampled it.  

Once you have a Butter Pie, you're hooked.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Never had it. I’ve had plenty of Chinese, Thai, Indonesian, Lancashire dishes so not sure why I’ve missed the boat with Vietnam.

I shall report back next week once I’ve sampled it.  

I see what you did there although it might be considered casual racism nowadays.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I see what you did there although it might be considered casual racism nowadays.

Yeah I think you’re right. I’m no racist but actually that post could certainly be interpreted that way.

Funny old game the year 2021. We must all do better. 

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

We have our own vinegar. 

Not a chance of fish & chips but have a try of Phô, bùn chả or ném nướng if they're on the menu.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Had this from my local chippy last night.

Not cheap - £14.30 for Cod, Chips and Mushy Peas....but fucking immense and as can see a very large serving. Photie may not do it justice but there was almost a kilo of chips!

20210626-181150.jpg

I would make love to that and remember it’s name.

Might even order it a taxi in the morning without looking at the surge charge.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Had this from my local chippy last night.

Not cheap - £14.30 for Cod, Chips and Mushy Peas....but fucking immense and as can see a very large serving. Photie may not do it justice but there was almost a kilo of chips!

20210626-181150.jpg

Looks lovely but I’m perturbed by the choice of Cod over Haddock.