You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fish and Chips

Section_31

I may have mentioned this before, but there is a chippy near me where the entire menu consists of fish, chips, fish cakes, mushy peas. You can probably get a breadcake as well but it’s been a while. 

If memory serves fish cakes and peas weren’t available when I used to go in there after the Youth Club in the 1980’s. 

You certainly can’t get anything so la di da as a savaloy and if you requested a pickled egg the old lady who runs it would fuck you up there and then. 

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I’m intnorth Saturday and Sunday and I am genuinely counting down the greys to gravy, my lord I’ve missed it.

First thing I do when returning is to buy me some fish, chips & gravy

The fucking southern peasants, and I include my missus in this, have no concept or inkling of the joys of a good chippie gravy

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mattyq said:

The fucking southern peasants, and I include my missus in this, have no concept or inkling of the joys of a good chippie gravy

Chips and gravy on the way to the pub and fish and chips for tea the next day.

My wife is the same 'But, why would you put gravy on and make the chips soggy?' 'Be gone woman and don't darken my door again, harriden.'

29 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Gravy with fish?, curry yeah, but gravy?, no thanks.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I may have mentioned this before, but there is a chippy near me where the entire menu consists of fish, chips, fish cakes, mushy peas. You can probably get a breadcake as well but it’s been a while. 

If memory serves fish cakes and peas weren’t available when I used to go in there after the Youth Club in the 1980’s. 

You certainly can’t get anything so la di da as a savaloy and if you requested a pickled egg the old lady who runs it would fuck you up there and then. 

The length of the menu is usually inversely proportional to the quality of the fish and chips. The ones around here that do pizzas, curries, burgers, kebabs etc as well are invariably crap.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Roll on June 18th. Week long shift change over from work means me and the Mrs can go to Scarborough for the weekend. Chippy heaven. Especially the Fish Pan on the South Bay.

There used to be a good one on the A64 just off the A1M heading towards Scarborough just outside York slightly set back on the left.

Last time we were there it was just fish and chips. The haddock was fantastic, bloody big as well and the chips were always good.

A few years ago now like.

Wackers used to be good in the town centre as well, that's a sit in place.

44 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

There used to be a good one on the A64 just off the A1M heading towards Scarborough just outside York slightly set back on the left.

Last time we were there it was just fish and chips. The haddock was fantastic, bloody big as well and the chips were always good.

A few years ago now like.

Wackers used to be good in the town centre as well, that's a sit in place.

Wackers is rubbish. The batter is really thick and dense. Everything is greasy as fuck. There isn’t a top class chippy in York, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Eat it.

It's just a shit, tasteless, rubbery sausage type thing that has the weird hue to it for whatever reason.

You can boil or fry them. They’re shit boiled because, as you say, they’re rubbery. They’re ok deep fried as the skin is crispy.