You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

If we want to improve domestically, people like Barry will help us do that.

That was echoed in the Prutton thread of yore, in fact we could be linked to Fizzer Neville and Carsley and out of devotion to Rafa some will fall over themselves to justify why we should buy them.

Boa Morte, Stelios, Distin, Upson, Neill... all one time aceness to take us forward. And now Barry morphs into the latest ace player, so good I'm starting to think he's the English Zidane by some of the praise being heaped on him.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was echoed in the Prutton thread of yore, in fact we could be linked to Fizzer Neville and Carsley and out of devotion to Rafa some will fall over themselves to justify why we should buy them.

Boa Morte, Stelios, Distin, Upson, Neill... all one time aceness to take us forward. And now Barry morphs into the latest ace player, so good I'm starting to think he's the English Zidane by some of the praise being heaped on him.

Do you honestly believe that Barry is of a similar standard to Prutton, Neill, Stelios, Upson, Distin, Carsley and Phil Neville? If so, you are mental.

100% correct. A week ago we got linked to some Uraguayan nobody which someone made up and we had people saying we could sell Alonso and Pennant and this Uraguayan nobody will cover for both of them. (You know who you are!) - You just couldn't make it up. I genuinely believe if Rafa wanted Neville people would back him, just like many did when we were linked with Brown.

Barry is the new ace player, the final piece in the jigsaw.

Exactly. Which he'll do very well. He's almost a perfect signing for our current system, actually. He provides it with natural balance and is even versatile enough to provide cover for one of our other problem positions. What's more, he passes the ball well, works hard, has leadership qualities, is dangerous from set pieces and is better going forward than many give him credit for. I really hope we get him.

Listen to this man.

Rash, it wasn't so much the player mentioned, it was the idea of buying a player that can play in the middle and on the outside. Which is what Barry can do. Except he plays on the left rather the right but I'm not surprised the point totally evaded you. If we get Barry, we'll probably sell Alonso.

Rash, it wasn't so much the player mentioned, it was the idea of buying a player that can play in the middle and on the outside. Which is what Barry can do. Except he plays on the left rather the right but I'm not surprised the point totally evaded you. If we get Barry, we'll probably sell Alonso.

You don't have to sell me Barry Dave. He is a very good player, composed, calm, great on the ball and exceptional at penalties and free kicks. I'd love to see him in a red shirt. I happen to think we have other areas to sort out first with that money, I don't want a raft of new players again and most importantly I simply don't think he provides a significant improvement on Alonso. I'd rather keep Alonso who has said he wants to stay.

Do you honestly believe that Barry is of a similar standard to Prutton, Neill, Stelios, Upson, Distin, Carsley and Phil Neville? If so, you are mental.

I've always thought of him as a slight improvement on Phil Neville; who has managed a load of England caps too despite his all round mediocrioty. It's meat n two veg skills.

I've always thought of him as a slight improvement on Phil Neville; who has managed a load of England caps too despite his all round mediocrioty. It's meat n two veg skills.

A slight improvement on Phil Neville? A player most Evertonians think is absolutely gash versus Aston Villa's captain and an England midfielder? Phil Neville won loads of caps at full back at a time when England weren't exactly overwhelmed with fullbacks of a decent standard. Barry has been keeping Lampard and Carrick out of the England side, both players in the same position in teams that are better than ours.

A slight improvement on Phil Neville? A player most Evertonians think is absolutely gash versus Aston Villa's captain and an England midfielder? Phil Neville won loads of caps at full back at a time when England weren't exactly overwhelmed with fullbacks of a decent standard. Barry has been keeping Lampard and Carrick out of the England side, both players in the same position in teams that are better than ours.

Barry is a better player than Carrick but plays a different role to Lampard in fairness. England should play Lampard, Gerrard and Barry.....

Do people get the idea that we might get a lot more value through a swap though? So it isn't actually wasting that much money, maybe more about getting a better deal whilst offloading Carson or Crouch?

For two stiffs it's a good deal, if we can't get cash for Carson and another. Like Rash I think we have priorities elsewhere than centre mid.

For two stiffs it's a good deal, if we can't get cash for Carson and another. Like Rash I think we have priorities elsewhere than centre mid.

Shocking I know, but he might not be the only player we're going to sign.

I agree, but only on the assumption Alonso is staying; and is he?

You also have to wonder how much interest there will be for these players if we can't swap them with Villa. If Pompey are really keen on Crouch and we can go back to Villa and say "Redknapp will give us nine for him" and get virtually a straight swap then it is the steal of the century. An unwanted Crouchie with 12 months left on his deal for Gareth Barry? That is some deal.

If Pompey are really keen on Crouch and we can go back to Villa and say "Redknapp will give us nine for him" and get virtually a straight swap then it is the steal of the century. An unwanted Crouchie with 12 months left on his deal for Gareth Barry? That is some deal.

You're giving Coco far too much credit, unfortunately there's no way he would be able to pull that off.

Have not read all the thread so if this been posted already sorry folks.

Everything is starting to make sense to the players we have been linked with.Barry,Bentley and Lennon.Also why I can safely say that Alonso will be shipped out as well.Plus Barry being linked with the scum and the arse.

Sounds to me that for Rafa to be linked to english and not Spanish players for next season means that homegrown law is about to be brought in.

Maybe it already has and I missed it? Blatters policy for limiting teams to playing only 5 foreign players in a game.Clearest evidence yet thats its about to happen.

Portsmouth are another team who usually buy a lot of foriegn each season but apparently hes going for homegrown players for next season and not foriegn ones.

Like I said I either missed a annoucement of the rule change,But if I haven't missed one; then its about to announced.

Isnt Blatter stepping down from Euefa shortly cause I think this is his retirement present to everyone.

No idea how I missed the annoucment that fifa have voted in favour of 6 and 5 law.Must of been asleep that week.

Can,t find a date for when all this is supose to start.Anyone any idea when its being started.

Or is it just being brought in for champions league football and not national leagues.

I was opposed to all of those, vociferously so in Neill's case. I'm certainly not saying Barry's the English Zidane but fuck me, he's better than that shower.

This would seem like a less attractive proposition were it not for the fact that Xabi hasn't looked like the Spanish Xabi for a while. I'm sure someone will feel the need to point out a good half hour that he's had recently but in all honesty, he hasn't delivered on a regular basis for at least this season. There also seems to be a feeling that he's going back to Spain, despite his recent "I'm staying" interview and the simple fact of our interest in Barry makes me feel that it's a possibility.

In that case, I'd far rather we sign Barry than some lazy shithouse like Deco and spend next season getting monstered in midfield. Just my opinion.