You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Office vs The Office

Cardie

I really love the UK show so downloaded all of the US ones about 12 months ago. I watched s01 of it and struggled through it so never got any further. However, after running out of decent TV I started on it again and enjoyed s01 on a second viewing. I am now mid way through s02 and finding parts of it ace but it doesn't compare to the UK version as of yet.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Steve Carrell is not goign to be doing it any more.

Danny McBride and Rhys Darby Pegged as Potential Replacements for Steve Carell on THE OFFICE

I think either of those guys would be good, though Danny McBride, like Will Ferrell would probably get old rather quickly. The other bloke i only know from Flight of the Concords, which is rubbish, but he is very funny so be good to see him in a big role.

• 3 months later...
UK version seemed good until watchin the us version, it really pales in comparison. Steve carrell > Ricky gervais

Is this a joke? UK version of course, the US one shouldn't even soil the name.

Woah. Posted one after the other.

Coincidence?

I still watch the US one but I don't love it or anything it's ok but not hilarious, it's more silly and stupid than anything.

It's totally different to the English one it was only the same for the first season and a bit then they did their own thing. I liked it a lot more in the first few seasons than I do now, the first 3 or 4 seasons were actually really good but it's kind of going downhill and it's not a mockumentary anymore it's more just a a regular sitcom.

The English version is obviously on another level, I remember just catching a couple of minutes of it whilst flicking channels and the next day I bought the DVD's. Seson 2 had just been released much to my delight.

The British version is massively superior the the USA one. The original had accurate observation humour for anybody who had ever worked in an office environment along with genuine romance with Dawn and Tim as well as being extremely funny. The American version is simply a watered down comedic version of the UK one without allowing any real genuine connection to the actors and the parts they play.

It's not even a contest, for me.

The US one shits all over the UK one from a great height.

The UK was very funny, but the US one is just superb. Every single opening scene makes me laugh without fail.

The British version is massively superior the the USA one. The original had accurate observation humour for anybody who had ever worked in an office environment along with genuine romance with Dawn and Tim as well as being extremely funny. The American version is simply a watered down comedic version of the UK one without allowing any real genuine connection to the actors and the parts they play.

I think Michael Scott genuinely loves Ryan.

Proper bromance in the early series, al be it one sided, that they played on last week.

It's not even a contest, for me.

The US one shits all over the UK one from a great height.

The UK was very funny, but the US one is just superb. Every single opening scene makes me laugh without fail.

Up until today at 11:58am I held you in high regard for your good looks, intelligent mind and overall sex appeal. However, your reputation is in pieces after a personal attack on Gervais's Uk masterpiece. I know where you live!

I think Michael Scott genuinely loves Ryan.

Proper bromance in the early series, al be it one sided, that they played on last week.

Nothing can compare to the unrequited (up until the end) love of Tim for Dawn. It was like watching a love story with comedy. It even had tears. Ace.

I love them both.

The British one had the jokes, the spot on characterisation, the really touching love story at the heart, the believability of the characters and was close to perfect I always thought. It's one of those things like Blackadder or Fawlty Towers where it's a pleasure to go back to it every few years to get something different out of it and go through your favourite bits again.

The American one, (after a painfully slow start), really takes off and becomes completely seperate to the original during the second series I felt. With British stuff, because it's usually written by just one or two writers and usually around six episodes per series, there's an impetus to hit the ground running. American stuff can take a lot longer to get used to. There's a warmth and a familiarity that you sort of have to 'earn' with the American series, to the degree that I think it'd be difficult to come on board halfway through and also easy to not bother sticking with it if you've only seen a handful of episodes. It also suffers from 'Doctor Who syndrome' where a handful of different writers and different directors means the quality tends to vary an awful lot from episode to episode

The British one is very much a character based, sharply observed comedy whereas the American one feels more like a soap opera with fantastic jokes sprinkled throughout.

They're both every bit the equal of each other, just for very different reasons I think.