You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nah, it's just common sense. The more one stresses theirself about stopping smoking, the less likely they are to stop. Most smokers, over time, associate smoking and being stressed. When stressed, they light up, so in getting stressed when stopping, they still have a subconscious association with smoking. In my opinion, it's this association that causes the smoker to fail when trying to stop. I think it's possible that one's perception of being stressed and the association of smoking and stressed, perhaps, modulates one's cravings, although I concede this is just speculation on my part. The key is to remain positive, not to try and forcefully remove the cravings, just be. Accept them for what they are, no more, no less. It's not just about stopping smoking, it's about breaking down the associations one has with smoking. So if you smoke when drinking coffee, don't drink coffee, if you smoke in a particular seat, change seat, all these associations work at a subconscious level. It's not easy but it can be done, I've quit all sorts of substances, as my sister well knows.

Your right mate. The most common one I get in my job is "If I stop smoking my weight will balloon". There is no evidence to show that stopping smoking will make you gain weight (if anything you can train harder as your lungs can reach full capacity and your heart is in better nick). What happens is the person substitutes one craving for another. So in a 10 minute break in work, instead of having a fag they have a Mars bar. Common sense really.

You should grow a beard though!

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do what Captain suggested. I'm going to write a list, and I'll stop tomorrow night. I've done it before for nearly a year but I'll be honest, it was hard. It's vain, but I'm terrified of turning into a bloater.

Not enough people shouting at me. Come on Bro, shout at me!

FUCKIN DO IT!! YOU SICKEN ME LIZ!!

I'll do what Captain suggested. I'm going to write a list, and I'll stop tomorrow night. I've done it before for nearly a year but I'll be honest, it was hard. It's vain, but I'm terrified of turning into a bloater.

Not enough people shouting at me. Come on Bro, shout at me!

Just stop. Throw all the paraphernalia out, even if you put some pounds on, it can be lost, you can't get new lungs. It's absolutely vital that you stop, given our family history. Tomorrow, go and open a savings account and put the money you used to spend on ciggies in it on a weekly basis, make sure it's not instant access, though. Use the proceeds to take you and the kids away, it'll give you further incentive to stop and stay stopped. If you tell Mum you are stopping, she will try to stop again, she always did it when I was stopping.

Liz, don't take the Zyban, it's an antidepressant. It has been found to cause a two-fold increase in suicidal thoughts.

in how many papers?

Its prescription only, be a pretty dippy GP to not know the patient, and for when its not appropriate... its side effect was the decrease of smoking needs, i dont think trials have been proven and its licenced for ceasation of smoking?? i could be wrong, each drug has side effects its weighing up the pros and cons, like i said another was licensed earlier this year but for the life of me i cant remember what its called....

I've watched both my maternal grandparents die of lung cancer. My Mum has COPD, and I've had cancer myself. If that's not all the incentive I need then nothing is. I just can't do it.

I need people to shout and me and tell me what a twat I am.

THINK OF YOUR KIDS YOU FUCKING SELFISH BITCH!!!!!

Hope that helps.

Champix...

just phoned a gp mate up... he incidently tried it, didnt work, he also did Zyban, didnt work.... shows you, when it comes to this, the drugs alone dont work...

look up some graphic images... when im in a bloater phase i look up bypasses, hearts lungs and livers encrused with fat cells, does the trick for motivation for a few weeks till i get in to it...

in how many papers?

Its prescription only, be a pretty dippy GP to not know the patient, and for when its not appropriate... its side effect was the decrease of smoking needs, i dont think trials have been proven and its licenced for ceasation of smoking?? i could be wrong, each drug has side effects its weighing up the pros and cons, like i said another was licensed earlier this year but for the life of me i cant remember what its called....

According to the FDA in the USA, http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/06/slides/2006-4272s1-04-FDA.ppt

No GP can predict, not one, how a patient will respond to any given anti-depressant. It's impossible to know how a person is going to respond to the effects of an anti-depressant, it's a crude science. At uni, I've been lectured by one of the world's foremost psychopharmacologists, he discovered that SSRIs are an effective treatment for bulemia and he has said that the specific mechanisms of how these drugs work are still relatively unknown, that substances are overprescribed, that the side effects can be highly dangerous and that it's imperative that all people should be able to make informed decisions when taking such medications. There's been a massive uproar about the side effects of SSRIs and how they are linked to suicide and how the drugs companies covered up the data. They knew of this link but under previous laws, they were able to supress that data without the risk of criminal trial. This is about to be changed to ensure greater clarity and patient safety.

According to the FDA in the USA, http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/06/slides/2006-4272s1-04-FDA.ppt

No GP can predict, not one, how a patient will respond to any given anti-depressant. It's impossible to know how a person is going to respond to the effects of an anti-depressant, it's a crude science. At uni, I've been lectured by one of the world's foremost psychopharmacologists, he discovered that SSRIs are an effective treatment for bulemia and he has said that the specific mechanisms of how these drugs work are still relatively unknown, that substances are overprescribed, that the side effects can be highly dangerous and that it's imperative that all people should be able to make informed decisions when taking such medications. There's been a massive uproar about the side effects of SSRIs and how they are linked to suicide and how the drugs companies covered up the data. They knew of this link but under previous laws, they were able to supress that data without the risk of criminal trial. This is about to be changed to ensure greater clarity and patient safety.

I agree, no gp can predict but, symptoms present, its a 2 way thing.

I work with and get lectured by psychologists regularly, ok, when i can be arsed going... Whilst i will agree they are very much over prescribed, if an anorexic bulimic patient started eating whilst on prozac i am sure the consultant doing the prescribing would judge the prozac to be less risk to the system then that of ongoing malnutrition

SSRI's are a relatively new drugs, whilst the old tricyclics are still available, if a person had sucidal thoughts and acted upon them with these there is little chance of a positive outcome.

I dont work with people giving up smoking, hands up and being a non smoker my knowledge is limited, but i do work with women who have severe postnatal depression, we have found medication to have a vital place. To be fair all drugs have their negatives, not just Ad's.

the question to be asked upon taking any medication is do the benefits out weigh the risks....

I agree, no gp can predict but, symptoms present, its a 2 way thing.

I work with and get lectured by psychologists regularly, ok, when i can be arsed going... Whilst i will agree they are very much over prescribed, if an anorexic bulimic patient started eating whilst on prozac i am sure the consultant doing the prescribing would judge the prozac to be less risk to the system then that of ongoing malnutrition.

Medication does have a place but it is overstated and, in my opinion, should only be used in extreme cases. It's prescribed far too easily because practitioners have little options open them due to underfunding of psychological services. Bulimia is an extreme case, though and one that merits the use of medication. The worst form of tablets aren't anti-depressants but anti-psychotics. Regarding the SSRI vs Tricyclic debates, overdose is less of a risk with SSRI but there are other ways to attempt suicide. Anyway, this subject is veering well off topic.

Thanks Jim, I'm really touched by the length of your post. You are right, of course. I do need to do it for me. As much as I feel like the world's worst mother, my kids aren't an incentive enough, and nor is my health. I know they should be it's so easy to say "Oh, it'll be alright". The truth is I smoke because I'm addicted. I hate everything about it, but I'm an addict.

I don't want to be addicted. I want to be free from it, and have more money, be healthier, set a good example to my children and all the other things. One reason on it's own isn't enough because I'll always find an excuse to hold on to the addiction. I need to start telling myself I can do it. I know I can, and I will.