You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ryan Babel is starting to make sense

Paul

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek was the exception rather than the rule, though

That's true, but Rashid continually bangs the drum about pacey wingers running at defenders and terrorising them. Cristiano Ronaldo is a genetic freak. We aren't ever going to get a player like that because there aren't any other players like him. The point that I'm trying to make to Rashid, which other people have pointed out and that he tends to ignore is that it doesn't matter who scores the goal, just that someone scores it. It doesn't matter if a winger never scored a single goal if all of his opportunities become assists for other players.

That's true, but Rashid continually bangs the drum about pacey wingers running at defenders and terrorising them. Cristiano Ronaldo is a genetic freak. We aren't ever going to get a player like that because there aren't any other players like him. The point that I'm trying to make to Rashid, which other people have pointed out and that he tends to ignore is that it doesn't matter who scores the goal, just that someone scores it. It doesn't matter if a winger never scored a single goal if all of his opportunities become assists for other players.

Hmm, I'm afraid I am of the opinion that a winger, being an ostensibly attacking player, MUST be able to score a few goals, otherwise they can fuck off back to mid-table obscurity.

Haha1 I looked at this and for one minute it seemed as if you were playing Peter Crouch as a link-man between the holding players and the attacking players.

Of course, that can't be right, as it is the stupidest and least likely to happen idea in the history of EVER.

Pepe

New player Carra Danny Boy New Player

-------------Xabi The Chief------------

-------Gerrard------------Babel--------

---------------Crouch-----------------

---------------Torres------------------

Is it more acceptable to u displayed like this with full backs, Gerrard and Babel all bombing on

Pepe

Is it more acceptable to u displayed like this with full backs, Gerrard and Babel all bombing on

I disagree, crouch doesn't have the pace or mobility to pull wide or the technique and brain to consistantly open up defense behind the main striker.

Hmm, I'm afraid I am of the opinion that a winger, being an ostensibly attacking player, MUST be able to score a few goals, otherwise they can fuck off back to mid-table obscurity.

I see what you're getting at, but who cares who scores the goals, just as long as someone does. I wouldn't care if neither of our wingers scored if they were laying on chances for our strikers.

Sadly my argument is slightly blown out the water because they aren't, but you get the idea...

Pepe

No, because Crouch is the furthest thing on Planet Earth away from being an ideal linkman/ second striker.

We want a player like Peter Beardsley in there; quick-witted, good feet, great brain, good finisher, can take a player on if required.

I disagree, crouch doesn't have the pace or mobility to pull wide or the technique and brain to consistantly open up defense behind the main striker.

Me Neither, i never said that, was just trying to display this selection another way, the way it woyuld more likley be set out.

No, because Crouch is the furthest thing on Planet Earth away from being an ideal linkman/ second striker.

We want a player like Peter Beardsley in there; quick-witted, good feet, great brain, good finisher, can take a player on if required.

I agree with u, i didnt put this selection together, just displaying it differently and posing a question, not giving my opinion

Absolutely right we do. However, in the absence of mega-bucks (everyone's forgetting we may well have to sell in order to buy), I'd make better use of what we've got and spend the cash on the full backs.

Absolutely right we do. However, in the absence of mega-bucks (everyone's forgetting we may well have to sell in order to buy), I'd make better use of what we've got and spend the cash on the full backs.

If we were to do that Paul mate then surely Benayoun would be bettter adopted in that role and selling Crouch to help fund the purchase of attacking full back/s.

If we were to do that Paul mate then surely Benayoun would be bettter adopted in that role and selling Crouch to help fund the purchase of attacking full back/s.

Yossi could play that role and well. However, for me Crouch is by far the better player and also the more proven for Liverpool.

I'd like to see that, Yossi has got the most guile out of any of our current squad.

It really depends on what cash we have.

We really do need attacking full backs. Rafinha seems to be the choice for Right back. I am unconvinced about Aurellio at Left Back and it doesn't look like Insua is going to make a breakthrough just yet.

Our Midfield is excellent. Babel Gerrard Torres are great attacking options. I just feel we need 2 more excellent attackers coupled with some good attacking Full backs.

Guest TK-421

I wouldn't want to see Crouch in the position Gerrard is playing at the moment, I don't think it would play to his strengths.

Yeah, I love Crouch as much as the next man, but I think he has to be a reserve striker next season if kept at all. I don't think he should get arguably the most important role in the side, as his lack of pace will be exposed time and time again.

I personally would definitely keep him, but I wouldn't build the side around him.

same here. Crouch has all the technique needed, but he's hardly able to dart and flit between midfield and attack. A better Benayoun would be ideal.

Guest TK-421
definitely not. But there are players out there (aren't there?) that can play that role better than Gerrard.

Yeah, but not in our squad. I haven't seen Diego who has been mentioned. Someone like Totti or Scholes would be ideal.

Bentley is a good player. We don't need good players, we need top class players.

A sensible post from Unrighteous. This is a position in which we do require top class - no good picking the top of the journeymen. He wouldn't be that much of an improvement on Kuyt.

Yossi could play that role and well. However, for me Crouch is by far the better player and also the more proven for Liverpool.

There's no doubt that Crouch is a better player, but he's just not going to work in that position Paul. He's great at holding the ball up when lumped to him, and he does posses great technique and and a sharp footballing brain, but that role does require 'turn on a sixpence' players who are quick over 5 or 10 yards. Bergkamp, for example, didn't have pace but he was very quick over a few yards and in confined areas.

I think Benayoun is the nearest we have to that sort of player. I would play him in there and Gerrard on the right.

Agree with the first bit, however Crouch has better technique than most and a sharp footballing brain as well. He wouldn't be suited for the role though, you're right about that.