You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

Picard season 2 is already better than most of the crap it put out in season 1. Though once again, the swearing is pointless and, like video games, is put in to give the appearance of more adult content when it makes it looks like a teen trying to be cool.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Picard season 2 is already better than most of the crap it put out in season 1. Though once again, the swearing is pointless and, like video games, is put in to give the appearance of more adult content when it makes it looks like a teen trying to be cool.

Swearing in Trek is not necessary at all and should only be done by Spock when he’s just come back from the dead. 

Been watching DS9 again and the Dominion War arc is magnificent, Weyoun and Dukat, Damar, just increible actors and characters. The Jem'Hadar are just class as well.

Sisko must be one of the most underrated characters in TV history too. 

There's a great interview with Avery Brooks where he was talking about how important the relationship was between him and Jake, and that it had extra meaning because of black absentee fathers being a social issue in the States.

There was a good episode where Odo discovers a baby Jem'Hadar and Brooks and Levar Burton who directed the episode were saying it reflected how young black men in the States were viewed as dangerous by society.

Dax: "Don't tell him I told you this Ben, but you intimidate Worf."

"Ha, 'I' intimidate Worf?!"

Watched the first episode of Picard and it was better than most recent trek but still lacks something.

I would like it if they could expand on some of the secondary character. 90s trek did this in an effortless way and built them up over a season with throw away comments and for the most part they we’re normal people. I guess it was easier with 20+ episode seasons. 

also a minor gripe, but I don’t like that the ships and most sets of newer trek shows being so dark. I like the 90s aesthetic of well lit rooms and ships.

19 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Been watching DS9 again and the Dominion War arc is magnificent, Weyoun and Dukat, Damar, just increible actors and characters. The Jem'Hadar are just class as well.

Sisko must be one of the most underrated characters in TV history too. 

There's a great interview with Avery Brooks where he was talking about how important the relationship was between him and Jake, and that it had extra meaning because of black absentee fathers being a social issue in the States.

There was a good episode where Odo discovers a baby Jem'Hadar and Brooks and Levar Burton who directed the episode were saying it reflected how young black men in the States were viewed as dangerous by society.

Dax: "Don't tell him I told you this Ben, but you intimidate Worf."

"Ha, 'I' intimidate Worf?!"

Brooks was great, it’s a shame he doesn’t seem to be interested in coming back to trek.

DS9 was full of great actors who with the writing were given a platform to excel. aside from the main cast, they had superb one off performances like Harris Yulin (sure I’ve said this before) who played Aamin Marritza (Gul Darhe'el). A masterpiece of an episode and the vast majority was just Yulin and Nana Vistor talking in a room.

Fuck sake may have to rewatch DS9 for the 4th time at some point. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Watched the first episode of Picard and it was better than most recent trek but still lacks something.

I would like it if they could expand on some of the secondary character. 90s trek did this in an effortless way and built them up over a season with throw away comments and for the most part they we’re normal people. I guess it was easier with 20+ episode seasons. 

also a minor gripe, but I don’t like that the ships and most sets of newer trek shows being so dark. I like the 90s aesthetic of well lit rooms and ships.

Yeah 26 episodes allows characters to have their own episodes in a way a serialised 10 episodes can’t. I’m really looking forward to SNW though. Even the teaser seems different to current new Trek. 

35 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Brooks was great, it’s a shame he doesn’t seem to be interested in coming back to trek.

DS9 was full of great actors who with the writing were given a platform to excel. aside from the main cast, they had superb one off performances like Harris Yulin (sure I’ve said this before) who played Aamin Marritza (Gul Darhe'el). A masterpiece of an episode and the vast majority was just Yulin and Nana Vistor talking in a room.

Fuck sake may have to rewatch DS9 for the 4th time at some point. 

I saw a band at a star trek convention once made up of the actors who played Damar, Quark, Rom and Weyoun with Weyoun singing Octopus's Garden.

You could have a truckolad of pyote and still never imagine anything that trippy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

I think it was one of the Discovery cast at Destinaton Star Trek in 2019 (possibly 18) who commented that he enjoyed being on the show buy he wished they'd turn the bloody lights on.  That got a good laugh from the crowd. 

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Captain Kirk.

star-trek-strange-new-worlds-kirk-paul-w

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. I was surprised they recast him so soon. The weird thing is that he's wearing Captain's stripes. Unless they've pulled a trick, where he's pretending to be the Captain as part of the plot or some time travel nonsense, then some are saying it's the end of Mount. I doubt that. 

It'll be interesting though. He's quite a sought after actor apparently. 

episodes 2 and 3 of Picard were better. A bit on the nose in places but at least the crew are competent unlike the crying messes on discovery and also halfway likeable.

while I don’t mind the Borg Queen specifically in this show, i do  think it was a mistake to create a Borg queen in general. They were bloody scary as a relentless hive mind, who couldn’t be reasoned with and who’s only goal was out spread and conquer. Humanising them made them weaker.

Anyone else have a feeling that the watcher will be someone we know?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JagSquared said:

episodes 2 and 3 of Picard were better. A bit on the nose in places but at least the crew are competent unlike the crying messes on discovery and also halfway likeable.

while I don’t mind the Borg Queen specifically in this show, i do  think it was a mistake to create a Borg queen in general. They were bloody scary as a relentless hive mind, who couldn’t be reasoned with and who’s only goal was out spread and conquer. Humanising them made them weaker.

Anyone else have a feeling that the watcher will be someone we know?

The watcher will be Guinan surely. She'd also be able to sense the change in the timeline like in Yesterday's Enterprise and she's got previous with Q.

I haven't seen Discovery but from reading various plot synopsis it sounds absolutely dire. Think I'll give it a swerve.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The watcher will be Guinan surely. She'd also be able to sense the change in the timeline like in Yesterday's Enterprise and she's got previous with Q.

I haven't seen Discovery but from reading various plot synopsis it sounds absolutely dire. Think I'll give it a swerve.

Yeah I’ve not bothered with this season of discovery. 

Guinan makes sense for numerous reasons. they will also bring back that Romulan woman who works on Picards vineyard but not as the watcher though.

there were plenty of nods to other trek shows in the first few episodes which was good and I’m actually interested in this crew as I actually know their names which is a plus.

I thought s1 of Picard was ultimately a let down story wise but this has potential. Them going back to 2024 reminded me sanctuary district episodes of DS9. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Guinan makes sense for numerous reasons. they will also bring back that Romulan woman who works on Picards vineyard but not as the watcher though.

there were plenty of nods to other trek shows in the first few episodes which was good and I’m actually interested in this crew as I actually know their names which is a plus.

I thought s1 of Picard was ultimately a let down story wise but this has potential. Them going back to 2024 reminded me sanctuary district episodes of DS9. 

I think most of the shows (all bar Discovery, I think) have had episodes where they go back to current day, and I really enjoyed them. The 'return to the past' episode that I really loved was Carbon Creek in Enterprise. Really fun, that one. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Them going back to 2024 reminded me sanctuary district episodes of DS9. 

The whole Picard season 2 arc looks like it's a mash up of First Contact, Star Trek 4 and Discovery season 2.

I've never been a massive Star Trek fan which is probably why I liked the new films and was ok with Discovery, any interest in old Star Trek usually revolved around certain enemies/arc's so I liked anything Borg related mainly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

Yep 

Screenshot_20220319-124724_Messenger.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Discovery ended with fanfare and lots of laughs be in the community. I hated it. 

Pocard: Good but not as good as episode 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Soz to anyone who may find this a bit of a spoiler alert for Discovery.

I found Pluto re run the episode at midnight so watched it. What a pile of crap. This story arc about the 'DMA' and species C-10 could have been made into good science fiction but instead, was just used as a background to trivial factions, relationships and egos.

Fuck me, all the positions of authority are taken by women. Burnham isnt convincing as a Star Fleet captain. She carries none of the gravitas of a Rachel Garrett or Janeway. All her senior bridge crew are women bar the odd token male and some alien reptile who could be any sex even if it has a gruff voice!

Even the president of Earth is a woman. Not that there's anything wrong with women in authority but I think in whatever century this pile of crap is set in (32nd?!), authority would be evenly spread out between the sexes and races rather than lop sided towards human females.

Sonique Martin is an executive producer so maybe that explains it?

They're supposed to be doing a 5th series. Roddenbury must be spinning like a top!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I found Pluto re run the episode at midnight so watched it. What a pile of crap. This story arc about the 'DMA' and species C-10 could have been made into good science fiction but instead, was just used as a background to trivial factions, relationships and egos.

Fuck me, all the positions of authority are taken by women. Burnham isnt convincing as a Star Fleet captain. She carries none of the gravitas of a Rachel Garrett or Janeway. All her senior bridge crew are women bar the odd token male and some alien reptile who could be any sex even if it has a gruff voice!

Even the president of Earth is a woman. Not that there's anything wrong with women in authority but I think in whatever century this pile of crap is set in (32nd?!), authority would be evenly spread out between the sexes and races rather than lop sided towards human females.

They're supposed to be doing a 5th series. Roddenbury must be spinning like a top!

I agree about Discovery. The season was the worst of any Trek season, in my view. It's not so far away from the things Roddenberry espoused, but it's got this weird (apologies for the word I'm about to use) woke agenda driving everything. I'm all for inclusivity, but it must make sense to the story and actually be good otherwise it has the opposite impact; people just hate on the characters. I think Adira is the worst character in Trek history. It's definitely getting a fifth season, but this was just absolute dogshit. I genuinely hated it. Outside of being bad Trek, it's just plain bad TV. 

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Isn't the head of star fleet a guy as was the captain of the Discovery in season 1, plus Pike who then became de-facto Captain for a bit, Season 2 saw Saru become Captain.

I think the Captain has been male 75% of the time (slightly less if you want to include what's her face pretending to be captain for that mirror universe stuff).

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Isn't the head of star fleet a guy as was the captain of the Discovery in season 1, plus Pike who then became de-facto Captain for a bit, Season 2 saw Saru become Captain.

I think the Captain has been male 75% of the time (slightly less if you want to include what's her face pretending to be captain for that mirror universe stuff).

If I remember correct although I didnt see Discovery from the very first episode, the first Captain was the guy who turned out to be from the Terran Empire and Burnham was a junior officer.

Ive no problem with women being a captain, I just dont think Burnham has the qualities.

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Burnham is the least interesting character in Trek history, a Mary Sue who saves the galaxy once a year and never faces the consequences of anything negative she's done.

And yet the writers continue to think she’s the best thing since sliced bread.