You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

34 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I read something about the plagiarism allegations and it sounds feasible. Strazynski touted Babylon 5 to paramount in the 80s and all the top execs had access to his long term show 'bible'.

Defiant/White Star.

Shadows/Dominion 

Sisko/Sinclair religious figure 

Sisko/Sheridan leaving and returning to unite a fractured alliance 

Psi-Corps/Section 31 

Yeah there’s loads more too that it becomes unbelievable that they were developed independently. 

- tough female first officer

- aliens who have non corporeal experience of time (vorlons/ prophets)

- station being next to a wormhole / jump gate

im up for a new show in the universe of Babylon 5 but there’s little point in a reboot of the story. Although I’d watch that too.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Moriarty is an interesting reveal.

Picard thinks he's been living a normal life but it was Moriarty who tricked him into believing Reg, Data and Picard trapped Moriarty in a positronic database when they were on the holodeck! Picard is in Moriarty's environment!

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Looks good.

It does, but then so did the first two series and they turned out to be absolute Bantha poodoo (sorry for mixing Wars in with Trek) so I'm wondering how they'll fuck this up. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

It does, but then so did the first two series and they turned out to be absolute Bantha poodoo (sorry for mixing Wars in with Trek) so I'm wondering how they'll fuck this up. 

Yeah to be fair it's almost certainly going to be dire.

I've blocked most of season 2 out. But it was something about Agnes eating car batteries, two 50 year old women killing about 30 half borg Navy seals, and a mission to do something in the solar system but nobody quite new what. And Q died. For some reason. 

Season 2 of Picard and Season 4 of Discovery were about as fucking bad as I've ever seen Star Trek. That said, Picard has a new show runner, he is a massive Star Trek nerd, has been working on Trek since Berman era, and every interview he has given just pumps hope into me that this is actually the proper send-off these guys deserver. I wouldn't have made Picard - I don't like the nostalgia fanwank stuff - but if you're going to go down that road, this looks to be how you do it. Not have a aged, basically mentally crippled Picard and a bunch of new twats. It looks way more Trek-like than most of the early new-Trek. SNW is one of my favourite Treks of all time already though. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Season 2 of Picard and Season 4 of Discovery were about as fucking bad as I've ever seen Star Trek. That said, Picard has a new show runner, he is a massive Star Trek nerd, has been working on Trek since Berman era, and every interview he has given just pumps hope into me that this is actually the proper send-off these guys deserver. I wouldn't have made Picard - I don't like the nostalgia fanwank stuff - but if you're going to go down that road, this looks to be how you do it. Not have a aged, basically mentally crippled Picard and a bunch of new twats. It looks way more Trek-like than most of the early new-Trek. SNW is one of my favourite Treks of all time already though. 

I'd have not brought Picard back either.  The end of All Good Things was perfect. 

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Been watching Voyager again and enjoying it. It's just simple, easy viewing. 

Reminded me though of the first Janeway who got fucked off after two days of shooting. Academy award winner apparently. Excruciating.

She’s dreadful. Thank god Kate got it. 

Just now, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

That's Geneviev Bujold. She always comes across as a very subtle actor, to the extent that so many of her roles seemed to me to be too passive. Lack of the ability to inspire is not the necessary skillset for a Star Fleet captain dealing with loss of her normal life and environment, with a ship full of likewise frightened people dealing with threats from all sides.

Yes, Kate Mulgrew definitely the better choice - her delivery of lines is brilliant (great in the Dragon Age games as well).

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

I rewatched the orignal 6 films a few weeks ago and just brought back a lot of memories as a kid. It still has that magical feel to it 

Three minutes in, just magnificent.

Now Mr Scott.

Sir?

The doors Mr Scott!

Aye Sir I'm working on it.

35 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Three minutes in, just magnificent.

Now Mr Scott.

Sir?

The doors Mr Scott!

Aye Sir I'm working on it.

Absolutely fantastic and my favorite Trek movie. Also how cool is the space dock? Always wanted that as a kid.

I even enjoyed Star Trek 1 and the scene of Kirk and Mr Scott transporting to the Enterprise after its refit is just magical for me. 

I'm not a fan of the reboot films or any of the recent series they have made, although I've heard strange new worlds is good but have not seen it myself. 

The last Star Trek series i was really into and enjoyed was Voyager.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/04/2022 at 14:06, Numero Veinticinco said:

What is it with people and a complete lack of comprehension? It's fucking rife in society. They read something then completely disregard it and replace it with something else. *Sigh* I did not say anything about not caring what you think, you asked me about being optimistic and stopping moaning, I said that you can do what you want; your views on the show don't stop me liking (or disliking) something. That means if you want to let it out, crack on, it's fine by me because it doesn't make me dislike something (you know, not being 8 years old 'n all). It was a direct response to your question. Surely you're not equating a few replies on a forum (at least half my life, apparently; the other half I spend worrying about it) with me spending a 'lot' of time telling you why you're wrong. You asked me a question so I answered it. You can think what you want, it's got nothing to do with me, but don't be surprised when you post something on a public fucking forum if somebody responds. And it wasn't the odd episode of TNG or DS9. 

All because he disagreed with you on the merits of an episode of Star Trek.

On 04/04/2022 at 18:01, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'm not the one inferring anything. I made no claims about where she was. There's no canon to say where she was, so why would I? You are the only one inferring anything; you're inferring that because it wasn't mentioned where she was, she can't have been there and you said 'canon says' it. That's nonsense, illogical, ignorant, and wrong. If we don't know where she was, we can't make any statements about her definitely not being there until then, much less that 'canon says' that. It's not about being an oracle, it's about basic logic. You're making criticisms based off of ignorance and it's annoying. That's where the angst comes from. As for you not changing what you're saying, you literally just made a post saying you're revising what you said. It's like I'm talking to Joe Biden's older, slightly less cognitively aware brother. 

Anyway, I think that's conclusively put to bed; even if you won't admit it. I'll beresponding to your other points in another post.

Mad nerd alert.

On 09/04/2022 at 16:41, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m not stopping anybody from having an opinion, you fucking blert. I’m responding with my own. You won’t stop me from having one just because you’ve called me a fool. If you want an unchallenged opinion, I suggest you’re posting it in the wrong place. You literally asked a question and now you're trying to shut down my opinion by saying that I'm somehow trying to stop opinion. It's mental behaviour. 

I'm bemused at this shit. I don't understand how somebody can read 'you're free to do what you want, crack on' as 'you are not free to have an opinion' and then try to shut down the discourse themselves. Fucking mad. It's like a facebook virus has overtaken the fucking internet. 

Haha fucking mental. Comedy gold.