You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chris Bascombe

Paul

It's a shame though, Bascombe was gospel back in the Echo days, If I didn't read it in his reports than I didn't believe it.

I suppose the further you get away from the club and the city the less clued in you're going to be as time goes my, now he's just another hack.

It's a shame though, Bascombe was gospel back in the Echo days, If I didn't read it in his reports than I didn't believe it.

I suppose the further you get away from the club and the city the less clued in you're going to be as time goes my, now he's just another hack.

He hasn't moved out of the city. And I can't see why the contacts he made whilst at the Echo would suddenly just fuck him off a few months after him moving jobs.

He hasn't moved out of the city. And I can't see why the contacts he made whilst at the Echo would suddenly just fuck him off a few months after him moving jobs.

They probably wouldnt but he started spouting all the sensationalist bollocks which I doubt went down well with those inside.

Didn't know that.

Some of his reports have been pretty negative, maybe that's pissed a few people off I don't know.

But even a couple of months back he had sources quoted who seemed to be close to the situation, now the stories coming out are pretty bog standard Sunday fair.

Benitez promises Jamie return to centre stage

RAFA'S CARRA PLEDGE

By CHRIS BASCOMBE

RAFA Benitez has assured Jamie Carragher his stay at right back is only an emergency measure.

Providing his own future is secured, Benitez has already earmarked £5m rated Schalke full-back Rafinha as a replacement for Steve Finnan this summer.

The Spanish coach believes injuries to Finnan and the loss of form of Alvaro Arbeloa – coupled with the impressive introduction to English football of Martin Skrtel – has given him no choice but to persist with Carragher in an unfavoured position.

The 30-year-old was back on the flank against Arsenal in midweek and is likely to continue in the position for the second leg on Tuesday.

Anfield's vice-captain has made no secret of his preference to play the centre, where he's established himself as one of Europe's most consistent performers.

Nervous

But Carragher has built his reputation on putting the needs of the team above himself, and that's a virtue Benitez is fully exploiting.

"I wasn't nervous about asking Carra to play in the position, he knows my idea and also he knows that he needs to work for the team," said Benitez.

"In some games he needs to do this job and I think it is OK. We know that he likes, he prefers to play as a centre-back. But he knows that it is important now for the team his position as right full-back

"He is the vice-captain so he knows he must be an example for the rest of the players. I was talking with him and he knows my idea about the future, so it is not a problem.

"His future is not as a right back. Finnan was injured and we were using Arbeloa, so I don't have any problem in this position. The only thing is the qualities and conditions of Carra are different to Arbeloa or Finnan. I was trying to use Carra because defensively he is more aggressive. That was the idea."

Benitez has already claimed a first team player has been secured for next season. The player he was referring to was Rafinha, who was part of the Schalke defence which lost to Barcelona in midweek.

The 22-year-old has already admitted interest from Liverpool, but the Anfield board haven't sanctioned an agreement yet.

Finnan, who's been at Anfield since 2003, signed a new two year contract last summer but has struggled throughout this campaign, while Arbeloa has been unable to cement a position in the back four.

Like much of the behind the scenes activity at Anfield, however, much still depends on the outcome of the takeover and whether Benitez is still in charge next season.

That will be influenced by progress in the Champions League, and whether the Spanish boss ignores the lure of a return to La Liga where numerous clubs are tracking him.

Benitez's credentials in the Champions League are impeccable, and if he can complete the job against the Gunners' on Tuesday his flawless reputation on the European stage will be enhanced.

Respect

"I think the hard part has been done, that is true, but also we know we have a lot of respect because Arsenal is a very good team and they play good counter attack," says the cautious Spaniard ahead of the second leg.

"We need to be careful and try to win. They are very offensive, they can score so we need to score if we want to progress. Arsenal is a very good team that will attack. It will be difficult to score and difficult not to concede.

"They have quality so we know we must approach the game with a lot of respect because we are playing a fantastic team

"They have a style that everybody knows. They can have plenty of possession, they can play long with Fabregas and they can play in between the lines with van Persie or Hleb. We knew that it would be tough and we needed to work hard to get a result away and it will be the same at home.

"The fans must be the key for us both in terms of pushing the team and also to understand how we play."

Meanwhile, Tom Hicks will return to America rather than face the wrath of The Kop on Tuesday night.

Hicks, who has been desperately trying to raise funds to fend off a bid from Dubai International Capital, has recognised his presence would be a distraction.

George Gillett, who was this week forced to reschedule further talk with DIC, is still considering attending the fixture.

Meanwhile, Tom Hicks will return to America rather than face the wrath of The Kop on Tuesday night.

Hicks, who has been desperately trying to raise funds to fend off a bid from Dubai International Capital, has recognised his presence would be a distraction.

George Gillett, who was this week forced to reschedule further talk with DIC, is still considering attending the fixture.

Shithouse.

The articles a bit stupid, why would Rafa confirm a signing that hasn't been sanctioned by the board yet. The article seems to be based on a lot of guesswork rather than facts, look at the price for Rafinha for example never in a million years would he cost just £5m.

Rafinha was bought for 5m with Andreas Muller saying at the time something like its a lot of money for us but we see it as an investment because when he leaves it will be for more money, so I cant see them selling at the same price.

(unless we are throwing in the wolfman)

Rafinha was bought for 5m with Andreas Muller saying at the time something like its a lot of money for us but we see it as an investment because when he leaves it will be for more money, so I cant see them selling at the same price.

(unless we are throwing in the wolfman)

Fingers crossed. He was woeful whe he came on yesterday.