You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC headline: DIC to bid for whole club

Neil G

What a mess. I don't think the Americans want to sell and won't, but there is pressure being applied on them from various corners. And the idea that DIC are our saviours worries me. I get the impression they'll be in the press as much the Americans.

These Americans need running out the door, though. Still no news on the revised stadium design, which they said would be released on Friday.

Time to go back into hibernation.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motty is an halfwit and if it was only his statement then i wouldnt read too much into it but like its already been posted you never get 'BBC Sport understands' unless they are confident they are 100% certain the story is true.

Parry has been known in the past to leak a few stories to McNulty when he was at the Echo and during his time at the BBC.

I think Dirk is spot on here and this is a very important factor in the renewed interest from DIC. Remember, when the first offer was made, before planning permission had been granted for the new stadium, we were a club that was severely limited by its physical location. Any prospective buyer must have looked at this and realised that much of the potential for profit lay in the hands of the City Council, and was pretty much an unknown.

Think about the opportunities for advertising and prestige the building of a new super duper stadium opens up for DIC. They have their own construction arm I believe and would relish the thought of the Dubai International Anfield Stadium being seen week in and week out all over the world.

These boys are in it for money ...and profit for them means dragging us up by the scruff of the neck and realising every bit of potential in the club.

I'm sure Tom & Jerry started out with a vision but they simply don't have the clout behind them to exploit the potential that is Liverpool FC.

Good post and i agree as a club we need to realise the potential and get some cash brought into by far better marketing.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I think Dirk is spot on here and this is a very important factor in the renewed interest from DIC. Remember, when the first offer was made, before planning permission had been granted for the new stadium, we were a club that was severely limited by its physical location. Any prospective buyer must have looked at this and realised that much of the potential for profit lay in the hands of the City Council, and was pretty much an unknown.

Think about the opportunities for advertising and prestige the building of a new super duper stadium opens up for DIC. They have their own construction arm I believe and would relish the thought of the Dubai International Anfield Stadium being seen week in and week out all over the world.

These boys are in it for money ...and profit for them means dragging us up by the scruff of the neck and realising every bit of potential in the club.

I'm sure Tom & Jerry started out with a vision but they simply don't have the clout behind them to exploit the potential that is Liverpool FC.

Some good points in that post and well made.

What a mess. I don't think the Americans want to sell and won't, but there is pressure being applied on them from various corners. And the idea that DIC are our saviours worries me. I get the impression they'll be in the press as much the Americans.

These Americans need running out the door, though. Still no news on the revised stadium design, which they said would be released on Friday.

Time to go back into hibernation.

Cheers for the input, Momo.:whistle:

Did you break the code? save_us.dic

I don't honestly see how they will turn it down. £500 million is a lot of wonga, especially considering the vast amount of money they will ride off into the sunset with. It's small change to DIC though, which I don't suppose is really our concern.

"BBC understands" is always right. It's never been wrong, in fact. As someone has said, it's code, code for "FACT." It looks all set, barring a last minute change of mind, to happen. The cowboys won't give it too much thought if you ask me, they'll be off. They will make a hell of a lot of money in a short space of time.

The fact the bid is for the full kit and caboodle changes everything, IMO. Buying Hicks out was dicey, waiting on Gillett to boycott Hicks was even dicier, but this is a very realistic proposition.

all the profit the americans would make on such a deal will represent all the money DIC could have used for players instead had they bought the club last summer.

I dont think this deal will materialize though.

I agree, no way on Earth will they sell. They will load the debt onto the club, bulid the new stadium, hike up the prices and sit contentedly on the other side of the Atlantic knowing they've got a cash cow for life. DIC have got no chance.

I agree, no way on Earth will they sell. They will load the debt onto the club, bulid the new stadium, hike up the prices and sit contentedly on the other side of the Atlantic knowing they've got a cash cow for life. DIC have got no chance.

Why not? Do you think they want the hassle of building a new stadium which has escalated in cost together with the difficulty that they have had with the refinancing package, not to mention the criticism and protests from the fans. If they can each pocket £75m they will be on their way.

In a struggling financial market, there's no guarantee they will get the loans for the stadium. They've been struggling to get a loan for £330 million, let alone another for more money, I think they will cut their loses and burn. After all, the stadium was what lured them here in the first place.

That's my gut feeling. Just trying to be realistic.

Hicks is a snake here to bleed us dry from the inside out. Not sure about Gillett yet, but I fear he's in it for the same reasons.

So we look set to make history, as usual.

First English Team to be sold off twice, richer owners. Whose next, Bill Gates? he is retiring soon isnt he? :D

He retired last week. He is only the third richest man in the world, the richest being a mexican and second richest is indian.

But that £500m is only the start of what DIC will need to put in. What about the cost of the stadium?

That's why I'm not convinced this is genuine. Unless they don't want a new stadium.

A £500 million bid sounds about right as Gillett and Hicks are wanting to loan £350 from the bank as they owe the cash from the pruchase of the club and transfers from last summer. They would also have been able to get the stadium started.

If they accept the offer from DIC they would pocket £150 million to share between them so hopefully they will see this as been an acceptable way of getting out.

The key is obviously profit. I think they currently owe 280m (ish, including the purchase, debt, last summers purchases etc), so in this they'd make a straight 220m, none of their own cash involved. That then needs to be weighed against what they can make in the long term, ie what would they have to do in the long term to increase the amount of profit they make ?

It seems a hell of a lot of money compared to the original sale price, and, like a few others, I'd be cautious about DIC having been bitten once, but I can't see them being any worse than the present pair, and they're a lot more financially stable and would be much better in their off-the-pitch conduct.

Moores must be fuming to think what he could have had if he'd sat tight.

£500m is a lot of money, and if that's a true figure, then it will be hard for Hicks to turn down in this climate.

But that £500m is only the start of what DIC will need to put in. What about the cost of the stadium? How much will they be expecting back each season? How many seasons will they wait to start getting something back?

I still think it's got to be better than Hicks though.

Moores wouldn't have got this amount of money though if he'd have sat tight. He may have not got the stadium plans approved based on his finances, which as stated is possibly one of the reasons why DIC are willing to come in and pay the higher price.

Moores should be fuming that what was promised as part of the take over has not materialised.